VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Kenneth M View Post
    Here's the SR-W320 in S-VHS form for Japan... http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f96343522

Again, they never made it as a W-VHS unit for Japan. The SR-W5U/SR-W7U are the top-of-the-line W-VHS units released in Japan. (Except called SR-W5/SR-W7)
    My understanding is that the HR-W1 is the Japanese version of the SR-W320U. It also was the first W-VHS VCR released in Japan (1993).
    Quote Quote  
  2. I looked at the pics. That's a gigantic machine. Definitely not for the one with a weak back. I would stick to a jvc hr-9911u or panasonic ag1980. In some cases even one less popular, but with lower hours of operation may be sufficient.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm pretty sure it just went for a record amount, even for these decks --- $1719.16 with $100 for shipping! I've never seen one go on eBay for more than about $1000 and I've been tracking auctions on them since at least 2007. I don't get it really either, it shouldn't go higher just because it's the Japan model as there are no meaningful differences between the two versions. When they were liquidating stock on these in 2002/2003, they were going for like $800/$900 brand new, so almost twice that for an AS-IS deck. Somebody wanted it really bad, I guess! Hopefully somebody from these parts so they can tell us about it haha.

I wish I didn't need both of mine still, I didn't know I was sitting on $3500 worth of VCRs haha. If you have one, you might want to sell it now -- sell high! lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The winner initially bid $103 on the 11th, upped it to $111. On the 14th someone else outbid him and then 2 hours later some 0-feedback newbie walks in and sextuples the bid with $964.19. Mr. Winner tried a couple lower numbers then beat him with $999.00 roughly 2 hours after that. 1.5 hours later, the joker comes back with $1,694.16 and our winner gets it after 4 bids.

Shill to the max. I wonder if the winner will actually pay.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wow, good call! Makes me wonder if the seller registered under a different name and drove the price up. $111 to $964.19 seems like quite the jump, and then that insane jump at the end. $964 is believable with a warranty or return policy, but $1719.16 is pure insanity.

How easy is it to get out of these commitments? I've heard it varies but state, but I imagine it'd cost a lot of money in legal fees to actually force someone into buying something they decided they didn't really want. I bet it'll be relisted by tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    How easy is it to get out of these commitments? I've heard it varies but state, but I imagine it'd cost a lot of money in legal fees to actually force someone into buying something they decided they didn't really want. I bet it'll be relisted by tomorrow.
    That's a question for lawyers. Actually it's probably not all that expensive to take someone to court over the payment. Anyone could go to a small claims court and do it and get a verdict by default if the other person doesn't show up. But enforcing an out of state judgement can be tricky. One option would be to pass the debt on to debt collectors who will harass the deadbeat until they pay. Also failure to pay debts like this will show up on the person's credit report and be held against them should they want a future loan. If the deadbeat has signed up with PayPal there's some chance that PayPal might be able to just deduct the money from the person's bank account any way.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    There are other, seemingly unavoidable shenanigans -- not on the part of the seller -- that can occur on eBay. There was another auction for a different but rare, pricey, and sought after item that I finally won on the fourth try ! The first three auctions for it became tossed aside exercises in frustration for the seller. I was outbid handily, a couple times at the last minute, and once by a well-in-advance automatic bid. This mystery buyer had zero feedback (or very low f/b, I don't recall for sure), and was making fraudulent winning bids (each time under a new name), with no intention of turning up at the end and paying. It seemed almost like a form of harassment. At this point you may be thinking along the lines of shill bidding by the seller, attempting to raise the price. But he had a lengthy, excellent record, and I had a series of email exchanges with him. I believed him when he told me that he had filed fraud reports with eBay, but they seemed unable to do much about it. He may have been charged some sort of re-listing fee, on top of this. In the end, I paid a fairly steep price, but no more than I was otherwise willing to pay, had none of this happened. It was not anywhere near what the fraudulent bids were, and not so ridiculous as in the case of this deck, which -- don't forget -- had to be run here on a transformer. (That would have ended any interest on my part, even if I was in the market for a w5u, which I never have been.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    There are other, seemingly unavoidable shenanigans -- not on the part of the seller -- that can occur on eBay. There was another auction for a different but rare, pricey, and sought after item that I finally won on the fourth try ! The first three auctions for it became tossed aside exercises in frustration for the seller. I was outbid handily, a couple times at the last minute, and once by a well-in-advance automatic bid. This mystery buyer had zero feedback (or very low f/b, I don't recall for sure), and was making fraudulent winning bids (each time under a new name), with no intention of turning up at the end and paying.
    Did the seller ever think of using the "second chance" feature? ebay offers sellers the ability to sell the item to the 2nd highest bidder if the original auction winner turns out to be a deadbeat.

I had this happen with an item about a month after the original auction ended and it caught me by surprise.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    There are other, seemingly unavoidable shenanigans -- not on the part of the seller -- that can occur on eBay. There was another auction for a different but rare, pricey, and sought after item that I finally won on the fourth try ! The first three auctions for it became tossed aside exercises in frustration for the seller. I was outbid handily, a couple times at the last minute, and once by a well-in-advance automatic bid. This mystery buyer had zero feedback (or very low f/b, I don't recall for sure), and was making fraudulent winning bids (each time under a new name), with no intention of turning up at the end and paying. It seemed almost like a form of harassment. At this point you may be thinking along the lines of shill bidding by the seller, attempting to raise the price. But he had a lengthy, excellent record, and I had a series of email exchanges with him. I believed him when he told me that he had filed fraud reports with eBay, but they seemed unable to do much about it. He may have been charged some sort of re-listing fee, on top of this. In the end, I paid a fairly steep price, but no more than I was otherwise willing to pay, had none of this happened. It was not anywhere near what the fraudulent bids were, and not so ridiculous as in the case of this deck, which -- don't forget -- had to be run here on a transformer. (That would have ended any interest on my part, even if I was in the market for a w5u, which I never have been.)
    Very interesting, I hadn't thought about it from this angle. eBay seems to withhold more information / prevent contact than they used to to buyers outside of the transaction or after it's ended, because way back when I can recall selling items and then getting upset losing bidders sending me messages, asking me to sell it to them for extra $$$ or with trades. As a buyer, I've also being solicited by people who saw what I purchased and then would try to sell me a similar or related item outside of the spectrum of eBay.

Yeah, I'm not too keen on purchasing the identical model to the SR-W5U since you can just get it here, but I might take a risk on some of the other higher end Japanese W-VHS decks just to play around with them. I've always wanted to check out SR-320U as well.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seller is me. I'm honest and of a moral stature. I would never, nor have I ever shill bidded on any of my auctions. Period.

That said, it surprised me that it went for so much. I paid 1,200.00 plus shipping (turned out to be $1,300) for my US model. So, yes these can go for more than $1,000.

This one was special due to the fact it came with the cleaning tape. You just don't see that at all. And the unit does work flawlessly.

I talked with the gentleman that purchased it at length today. He is a serious buyer and will be paying me. I am giving him 9 free brand new W-VHS tapes to work with as well, paying the cost of the wire transfer, giving him my step down converter, and I copied my owners manual for the American version so he can learn the unit. (The Japan model's manual it comes with is in Japanese.) So, I am doing what I can to help him as much as I can. And he realizes it and it makes him happy.

That said, I am a pretty happy camper. It could not have gone better. I did consider offering up my US model to the guy with zero feedback, but I can't let myself watch it go. I love these machines, and would hate to be stuck with my 1980 as my #1 NTSC playback machine. Guess I'm spoiled now.

Anyway, last night was epic for me and I really hope the buyer is ecstatic when he gets to play with his new toy.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well congrats! I guess in the end these decks are worth what people will pay for them. The average selling price for a good working deck seems to flail around pretty wildly, probably depending on who is in the market for one and how many are available simultaneously. I assume most people buy them as VHS to DVD decks, but I wonder if people with intentions of using them as HD recording devices see it as a different sort of item and seek a different price range.

I can't say I recall one ever seen one go for $1000+ at auction, although I do remember a guy online selling them for around $1200 to $1500 at his store and getting some takers. They sure are hard to beat as decks though in terms of performance.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Thanks for letting us know, Kenneth. Sorry for assuming the worst. Glad to be wrong!

If people are buying these to record HDTV, I could build them a nice HDCP-stripping HTPC and stick it in a big heavy case too, and slots to swap hard drives like they were tapes.. hmm...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!

Yes, it was a Buy it Now thing. Wasn't an auction. The guy who sold it described the connections for HD transferring available only on this or $50,000 machines. Can't remember exactly what he said. But the guy was using it for editing and the like. Not for simple VHS to DVD transfers like us. So if that helps jog your memory, I was one who bit.

I will say that most of these are trashed when they pop up. Really happy to have had good luck with my buying experience. I went through 3 JVC 9700s (4 counting the one that still works) for my PAL work. That was around 700 or so videos, so it was way more than my NTSC work, but it is ridiculous when you add up spending about $400.00 a pop with shipping from eBay.de. I am glad to be mostly done with my work now. The sr-w5u was a dream. The 3 9700s, 1 HS-NV1000, and three DVD burners dying just made me appreciate my sr-w5u that much more...

It's going to be really frustrating for the guys that try to start transferring their stuff now, when everything on eBay is trashed. I think we're getting to that point now...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Thanks for letting us know, Kenneth. Sorry for assuming the worst. Glad to be wrong!

If people are buying these to record HDTV, I could build them a nice HDCP-stripping HTPC and stick it in a big heavy case too, and slots to swap hard drives like they were tapes.. hmm...
    No, it's quite alright amigo. I was just as freaked as you guys. So it's not like you didn't have a valid observation. Mendacity just isn't a part of my nature.

He wasn't too clear on what he was doing. He said editing. I did let him know that it might be better to run the video through the VCR through the S-Vid to a DVD burner with an LSI chipset, then rip it to his computer and edit it in adobe. Pretty simple and probably more effective. I'm sure there's better ways, but I would think that would be the easiest. ...but maybe I'm way wrong!! Idk... Could be....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Kenneth M View Post
    Thank you!
    Yes, it was a Buy it Now thing. Wasn't an auction. The guy who sold it described the connections for HD transferring available only on this or $50,000 machines. Can't remember exactly what he said. But the guy was using it for editing and the like. Not for simple VHS to DVD transfers like us. So if that helps jog your memory, I was one who bit.
    That's very interesting actually, I guess at least a few years back there was probably a small market for these things as HD recorders. As far as the sale, good call, perhaps I don't keep as good of records as I seem to think I do lol. I see there was one for sale in September 2010 for $1200 and another for $1014 shipped in July 2010, but not sure if they sold.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    There are other, seemingly unavoidable shenanigans -- not on the part of the seller -- that can occur on eBay. There was another auction for a different but rare, pricey, and sought after item that I finally won on the fourth try ! The first three auctions for it became tossed aside exercises in frustration for the seller. I was outbid handily, a couple times at the last minute, and once by a well-in-advance automatic bid. This mystery buyer had zero feedback (or very low f/b, I don't recall for sure), and was making fraudulent winning bids (each time under a new name), with no intention of turning up at the end and paying.
    Did the seller ever think of using the "second chance" feature? ebay offers sellers the ability to sell the item to the 2nd highest bidder if the original auction winner turns out to be a deadbeat.

I had this happen with an item about a month after the original auction ended and it caught me by surprise.
    That never came up. I'm not sure how long that feature has existed, and can only speculate based on my own experience: In over a dozen years of being on eBay, and around 300 transactions, sellers have contacted me with that 2nd.-chance thingy no more than twice. Either they don't know about it, overlook it, or don't make use of it.

I wasn't aware it could still be used as long after the close of auction as you mentioned. (How many of us ever bother to read the semi-annual revised editions of the eBay policies Agreement ? Probably only those who attempt to make a business out of their activities on that venue.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote