VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey just for fun, thought I'd draw everyone's attention to this auction -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110667668979

I waited a few days to share because I was contemplating bidding Not going to bother, though. I'll let the SR-W5U's magical playback powers remain a mystery to me
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    On another note -- one deck I'd like to get my hands on just for fun is the precursor to the JVC SR-W5/W5U and JVC SR-W7/W7U decks, the JVC SR-320U, which at least as described by the JVC-SRW5U manual was a much more expensive deck and one where they didn't have to cut so many corners to get the price down. How it differs from the other two performance wise, I have no idea -- I've never seen one for sale stateside.
    So, I was trying to dig the one up that I bid on from my "Didn't Win" page on eBay, but unfortunately it was in January and you can only go back 60 days. However, I'm positive this is the same listing (even though it's not on the US version of eBay):

http://cgi.ebay.pl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160532070670

It is the same listing title, "Last one we have!" as the one I bid on back in January (makes me wonder if it was actually some sort of scam--this listing has identical photos, etc). It was being sold from Canada, and the shipping itself would've been about $100. I gave up because I hit $300 shipped and the reserve still wasn't met.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jbd5010 View Post
    Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    On another note -- one deck I'd like to get my hands on just for fun is the precursor to the JVC SR-W5/W5U and JVC SR-W7/W7U decks, the JVC SR-320U, which at least as described by the JVC-SRW5U manual was a much more expensive deck and one where they didn't have to cut so many corners to get the price down. How it differs from the other two performance wise, I have no idea -- I've never seen one for sale stateside.
    So, I was trying to dig the one up that I bid on from my "Didn't Win" page on eBay, but unfortunately it was in January and you can only go back 60 days. However, I'm positive this is the same listing (even though it's not on the US version of eBay):

http://cgi.ebay.pl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160532070670

It is the same listing title, "Last one we have!" as the one I bid on back in January (makes me wonder if it was actually some sort of scam--this listing has identical photos, etc). It was being sold from Canada, and the shipping itself would've been about $100. I gave up because I hit $300 shipped and the reserve still wasn't met.
    I just noticed that auction as well -- looked to be posted on about 12 different sites. Good grief!

It might not really be worth it -- the SR-W5U technical manual does state that the SR-W5U is "tweaked" to be a cost-reduced version of that deck, but it also mentions that the TBC performance in the SR-W5U/7U is better. Supposedly for WVHS at least, the picture quality reproduction is better on the SR-W320, although that hardly matters to me. Still, it would be fun to pick one up for cheap and see if there are any notable differences -- brand new I believe it cost two or three times what the $5000 SR-W5U went for.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jbd5010 View Post
    Hey just for fun, thought I'd draw everyone's attention to this auction -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110667668979

I waited a few days to share because I was contemplating bidding Not going to bother, though. I'll let the SR-W5U's magical playback powers remain a mystery to me
    I saw this deck pop up there in my saved searches too. Cosmetically it looks pretty good and I like that he has the original box (which none of mine came with), but this line jumped right out at me:

"These are built like a tank and often used by preofessional that convert VHS to digital formats these days. This unit was purchased with that intent in mind, but it never happened. This unit has maybe 20 hours of time on it - period."

Besides the fact that the word "professional" is misspelled, I question the authority by which he can proclaim "it's in perfect working condition!" when the deck only has 20 hours on it AND that he purchased it for converting VHS tapes to "digital formats" but that it "never happened" for no stated reason. Who buys a deck that costs $500 - $1200 USD and never gets around to using it? I smell a flaky deck, personally.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jbd5010 View Post

I saw this deck pop up there in my saved searches too. Cosmetically it looks pretty good and I like that he has the original box (which none of mine came with), although it's clearly used, as he doesn't have the remote or cleaning tape.

This line jumped right out at me though:

"These are built like a tank and often used by preofessional that convert VHS to digital formats these days. This unit was purchased with that intent in mind, but it never happened. This unit has maybe 20 hours of time on it - period."

Besides the fact that the word "professional" is misspelled, I question the authority by which he can proclaim "it's in perfect working condition!" when the deck only has 20 hours on it AND that he purchased it for converting VHS tapes to "digital formats" but that it "never happened" for no stated reason. Who buys a deck that costs $500 - $1200 USD and never gets around to using it? I smell a flaky deck, personally.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Actually, this is the line that jumps out at me from that ad:
    No Returns Accepted

As many folks have noted in this thread, that is a BAD sign. So this guy has a SR-W5U that "is in perfect physical, cosmetic and functional condition" but he won't accept returns? Danger, Will Robinson!

It seems clear that he purchased this deck used--NOT new. The ad is misleading in this respect.

He states the unit cost $5,000 when new. He says the unit has 20 hours on it, "period." But he does not say that HE spent $5,000 for a new unit. And he would only know it has 20 hours on it IF he purchased it new. If he purchased it used, he wouldn't know how many hours of use it has! And while he seems to imply he purchased it new and was the original owner, this is NEVER stated outright (which a lot of sellers would, because it's a selling point).

Further reinforcing this: He does not have the remote control, manual, or the cleaning tape. If he had bought the unit new, these items would have come in the box! He says he took good care of the deck. But if that is the case, wouldn't he have kept all the accessories for such an expensive, valuable VCR? He actually doesn't even seem to be aware of these items' existence. That further lends credence to the idea that he bought this unit used. The used deck probably came with the original box, but nothing else.

Regarding the cleaning tape in particular, he writes: "I see no mention of it in the owner's manual as being included with the unit." Well, I HAVE the SR-W5U instruction manual. Right on the specifications page it says: "Provided accessories: Cleaning tape, power cord, infrared remote control, unit, AA battery." So yup, the cleaning tape WAS included, and it's not that hard to spot this fact. (There is also a full page devoted to how to use it!)

I also question this line: "The pictures show what looks like a scratch on the edge of the fold down front - this is a piece of scotch tape that was used to keep the front from opening in shipping...it will peel right off." JVC would NOT have applied a piece of scotch tape to a new unit--ergo, he bought it used. But why is the tape still on there if it will peel right off? Why wouldn't he have removed it when he used the deck? (DID he ever use the deck??) Why didn't he take the tape off when he photographed it, if it "will peel right off"? What is being hidden here?

The bottom line is, this ad raises a number of red flags. It's very likely that this seller purchased the deck used and HE only used it for 20 hours. Which means the unit could have been used heavily before he got it and have a wealth of problems that he is not specifying. And since he won't accept returns, you would be stuck with the unit.

Yup, this ad sounds JUST like all the ones we bid on! The difference is, some of ours did have returns accepted--which this one does not. So be warned, VHers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I went and emailed him with some questions, all very basic stuff:

- Did you purchase this deck new or used? What year was it purchased?

- How is the TBC performance? Can you verify that the video signal is present when the TBC is engaged and when it is not?

- Can you verify that both the hi-fi audio track and linear audio tracks on a VHS tape play correctly?

- What playback speeds did you test the deck on?

- Can you verify that video and audio heads are clean or do they need to be cleaned?

- Has this VCR undergone any servicing, either by you or by JVC or a local technician?

- Why did you choose not to use the deck for converting your VHS tapes?

Here are his answers:

I am an independent consultant that works a 2-3 month gig and gets paid in lump sums. When I get paid I have a bad habit of buying stuff I think I need. At the time I bought this I wanted ?the best? VCR I could get to make the transfers to digital. I had read a couple forums that this model was the best, even though it was WAY overkill for what I needed. There was a guy that did professional video stuff for churches in my area that had like 8 of these units, with 2 of them still in the box as backups that listed on Craigslist. (This was 3 years ago.) These two were opened, but I was told that he had tested them but that they had never actually been used. Based on the way they looked I had no reason to doubt him ? so I bought one of these ?still in the box? units. I went to make the transfers a few months later and realized I only had about 10 tapes (wedding videos, etc.) that I really had any interest in transferring. I did in fact use this deck for that purpose. I played with the various features for a few hours, but to be honest have no experience with video gear and really did not feel like learning for these few tapes ? so I just played them out to TV card in my PC and captured the video that way. These were all SP speed (2 hour) standard video tapes. The unit has never been serviced during the time I owned it and I was told it had not needed any servicing previously.

I know this is not going to in any way help you, but beyond the above I could not answer your questions. I am not avoiding them ? I simply have no idea what you are asking. I could tell you that I tested each of those things and all was great ? but I don?t have any idea what TBS is or how to test hi-fi versus linear tracks. Sorry I cannot be more helpful

So there ya go.
    Quote Quote  
  8. LOL--good for you!!!

So he does not actually know for sure whether or not the unit only has 20 hours on it, which is what I suspected. It may, or it may not. It may have issues, or it may not. As with other auctions, this is a guy who is NOT a video tech and cannot analyze the deck properly.

I still question any listing in which no returns are accepted--especially with this type of unit. Basically, he's saying if you find any problems, you're stuck with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's nothing wrong with that condition -- it happens. People have no idea what they own. They just want to sell it off. Generally speaking, that's when you end up with a really good deal on something. Or it becomes a low-cost gamble that fails. I recently spent $25 for something. If it works, awesome! If not, eh, no worse than a handful of dud lottery tickets.

But to ask $500 "full price" (compared to other like-new S-VHS, D-VHS or even W-VHS units being sold) when you know nothing? That's asinine. Head-up-ass ridiculous. Unreasonable. The seller is a typical eBay douche. Not to mention, as a buyer, you'd have to be awful well-off to piss away $500 on a complete gamble.

Caveat emptor, indeed.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 4th Apr 2011 at 12:57.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Right on, as usual, LS.

You've touched on part of my feeling on this: that the guy doesn't know what he has and yet starts the bidding at $500--with no returns accepted. It makes bidding a complete crapshoot, and not too smart, IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I remember eBay rules if the machine will not work or will have some real problems any of you can start dispute and get the full refund because of incorrect description. Read the rules!
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html

No matter what he states in description. If unit isn't as described you can send it back and get a full refund.
    Quote Quote  
  12. That's true, but it can be a nightmare.

A few years ago I purchased a 8mm VCR from a seller. It was "no returns accepted." The unit played tapes very badly; I got it assessed and it needed some expensive internal part--something that definitely wasn't damaged in shipping.

But the seller refused to help. He swore I had damaged it, and wrote seriously nasty e-mails, right from the beginning. So I had to open an "item not as described" claim. I told them my version of the events and he told his. After a few months, the ruling was made in my favor. However, I still had to pay to ship it back--that was not covered--and so I was out $40 or whatever even with the refund (and I don't think the refund included the original shipping cost either).

A month later, the seller appealed the decision and we went through it again!

So yes, even if the seller won't accept returns, you do have recourse. But it took half a year and I was still out the shipping costs! It's definitely NOT a full refund. It's much easier if you have a seller who WILL accept returns, because that shows that he's willing to work with you. The "no returns accepted" folks are a much crankier lot, and generally do not want to help or accept responsibility if the item is flawed. Their goal is pretty much to just sell their item and wash their hands of it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. For those interested, looks like the deck includes a sealed WCD-5 cleaning tape as well.

He's got a bid on it too, anybody around here? I hope so, because I'm curious to hear what kind of condition it's in.
    Quote Quote  
  14. After all our discussion in this thread (and LordSmurf's analysis of the seller and potential buyer)--do you think anyone would admit to it at this point?

It's definitely not me--I've had enough of these units. I wouldn't purchase one again unless it was from a video pro who could fully vouch for how it worked. (Like how you got one of yours, Rob.)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will back with video comparison of HR-W5 vs Panas AG-7330 in next few (or not) days if I will have a free time
    Quote Quote  
  16. re: Moxiecat -- good point LOL. I hope the guy ships it well, I shot him a message warning him that a forum I frequented has been discussing the auction and gave him some pointers for shipping it. It could be a "diamond in the rough" to so speak, or a lemon, but I hope that it's someone around here that picks it up to at least confirm or deny it. I'd be surprised actually if anyone not on here, DigitalFAQ, or perhaps AfterDawn would even think to look for this machine.

re: Deadhead_ -- Awesome, that's a very interesting comparison, at least for PAL locations. I still need to post some videos for the SR-V101US / SR-W5U comparison thread, mostly just illustrating the difference between the tracking stability and the hi-fi audio, which are consistently better on the SR-W5U.

I also have a few tapes that don't play well on either the SR-W5U or SR-V101US with the TBC on, but play fine with it off on the SR-V101US and have some weird issues on the SR-W5U with the TBC off, it's very strange. Anyone know how much memory the TBC in the SR-W5U has? I don't think it mentions it in the manual. I'd like to do a SR-W5U vs 9000 series comparison too, as the SR-V101US is more comparable to the JVC HR-7xxx series.

I guess you never really know how a deck will perform though until you use it with YOUR tapes, or unless you're like LordSmurf and have tons of experience with many different types of tapes that you can make a reasonable guess how well a deck will work as a first-line of defense, all purpose machine for the "average user".
    Last edited by robjv1; 4th Apr 2011 at 17:41.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes I have ten or even more of different pro-done or semi-pro tapes and about twenty of vhs-c tapes. I will test with the clip of the band that I like so much (available only on one vhs tape, no other sources until now).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Neither the specifications in the manual nor the flyer advertising the unit (that's at BroadcastStore.com) lists the memory. It is called "629TBC" though, maybe that matters?

LOL--maybe after the seller looks at this thread, he will reconsider his "no returns accepted" stance! Seriously, that's a huge drawback in my opinion, because for the decks we purchased, we would have spent a lot more money if the sellers hadn't been willing to work with us when the decks turned out to be questionable.

It's hard not to be tempted. But the first bid starts at $550 (with shipping). That's higher than most of the units we won--after we had the HIGHEST bid. The last one (last summer, IIRC), we won for $450. So IMO, the price is already pretty high, and the potential drawbacks are many. But it will be interesting to see if anyone reports back.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Good point. I think it'd be a steal if he could really confirm that it was fully working, I paid $200 more for both of mine, although I think the commonality of the damaged decks are driving the price down. It's too bad he doesn't know more about it.

I'm looking at the technical manual now -- it appears to have 4MB of RAM, so same as the JVC 9000 series vs the 2MB in the JVC 7000 series. Unlike those other JVC decks though, it also has a full-frame TBC, although it also has what we've come to know as the line-TBC functions as well.

By the way, I too wondered what the heck the 629 was for -- it is also in the technical manual (available at DigitalFaq.com). It has a lot of interesting, technical jargon in it that I wish I understood better

The TBC (Time Base Collector) is a system which eliminates screen distortions and reproduces stable images by compensating time axis deviation (jitter) of scanning lines which occurs due to the tape running system.

This unit mounts a 629 digital TBC. As the 629 digital TBC performs time axis compensation of the color signal (629 kHz) and luminance signal which have been converted to low bands, changes in hue which occur secondarily due to jitters are decreased. Compared to the conventional TBC, it demonstrates higher effects for high band jitters.
    Last edited by robjv1; 4th Apr 2011 at 18:18.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I WANT TO CLEAR A FEW THINGS UP

First, I am in fact the owner/seller of this deck on eBay.

It has NEVER been listed on eBay before, and the pictures were all taken with my iPhone 4 the day I listed them, so to the person that said this was listed in January with the same pictures - sorry bud, may have been similar, but I promise, it wasn't me or my pictures, would be glad to email you the originals so you can view the EXIF data if you like. I am a private individual, NOT a reseller of any kind, and this is the ONLY VCR I have ever tried to sell on eBay. Hope that clears that issue up.

ROBJV1 - Sorry, I typed it quickly to get on the road. I am an engineer, aka, I cannot spell worth a crap. While I do stand by my Perfect Condition, you have a valid point. To the absolute best of my knowledge it is in 100% functional condition with no cosmetic issues. I see an email I sent was posted - so let me further explain. When you do consulting work you budget tightly for months and then get a large check - sometimes six figures. It tends to make you do things like buy crap you didn’t need in the first place. I have a whole room of examples. This may not make sense to some, but some of you will understand where I am coming from. For clarity, I did use it for about 10-12 tapes (wedding tape, first solo flight and a couple other personal videos). All the rest I found I had either already bought on DVD or didn’t care about.

I apologize to those who may have found the ad misleading - that was not my intent. I did not attempt to list this with an air-tight description that would stand up to public debate and scrutiny...my fault. I did in fact purchase this USED, sort of. I read this forum actually a few years back and it said this was the best VCR to get. I came across a listing on Craigslist a few months later - a guy that did video for a church had like 8 of them. 2 he had still in the box (though they were opened) and he said that he had tested them for DOA, but that they were spares. I bought one of those. No, I did not pay $5,000 - I paid just over $1,000. I personally used this about 20 hours. To say that I am 100% certain that it does not have more time on it would not be true. Again, to the absolute best of my knowledge this has no more than 20-25 hours or time on it. The guy could have lied to me I suppose, but I see no motive for him doing so.

This DID have the manual in the box. I took it out to read it and lost it. I have the PDF version of the full manual and will gladly email it to anyone that wants it.

This DOES have the original cleaning tape, still brand new in the shrink wrap. I had no idea this was even a thing until I received a few emails. I looked, and it is the JVC cleaning tape for W-VHS VCR's, etc.

When I bought this there was no remote. It is in the PDF version of the manual, though the picture of the remote is VERY basic. I do not have any remote. If one was included, I lost out when I bought it.

In regards to "No Returns Accepted" if you read the eBay policy you have two options. Either do not accept returns or accept them for any reason, like you would in a store. I am a private individual and I believe this is too much to ask. Everyone that emailed me I clearly stated if it is DOA or not what I say it is you may ABSOLUTELY return it to me. I stand by that. I am just not open to returns because you decide it isn’t for you. That is how my default template is set up, it was not a conscious decision for this ad.

In regards to the tape, the guy I bought it from had that on there. I had the VCR out of the box and was running VERY late - I snapped a couple pics from my iPhone instead of my DSLR, ran out the door and composed the ad at the terminal. I JUST got back home today. Yes, I could have waited a week and taken more time to clean up the description and get better pictures, but I didn’t. My fault.

LordSmurf - thanks for the kinds words. Love right back at ya dude. You are absolutely correct that I have no idea what this VCR is - at least it's full capabilities. I bought it for one thing on a whim and should have bought a $200 deck with a DVD-R/VHS in it. I based the price on the fact that this was just under 50% of what I paid and some online searches for refurb units. $500 is below any price I found and I sincerely felt that it was completely fair. If it wasn't then no one would bid and I would have to decide what I wanted to do from there.

Guys, the bottom line is that I am NOT a A/V professional. I should not have bought this in the first place but it was the "cool" thing to do at the time. Stupid. I have sold many things on eBay from cars to guitars and watches in the thousands of dollars - and have bought the same. I have never had a buyer have an issue. I have, sadly, had many issues as the buyer and I can COMPLETELY understand where some of you are coming from. If you bought this from another A/V profession that knew exactly what it was though and had it in perfect condition I assume you would pay more than what I listed it for. If you think I am trying to scam you then the best advice I can give is do not bid. What more can I say?
    Quote Quote  
  21. No worries regarding your spelling, mine isn't the greatest either. I posted that in reference to your initial ad, so please don't take it too personally, there is a high degree of paranoia regarding these decks, because so many of them end up in people's closets, so it's become a bit of a heated situation. That's actually why I contacted you on eBay in the first place and I appreciate (and I'm sure everyone else does as well) how candid you are being about it.

Naturally we video types tend to scrutinize them carefully because of the high standard this particular deck has been held to -- it's supposed to be one of the best VHS performers around.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No problem...I understand. Trust me, I have my hard core dedicated hobbies and go balistic when I buy something on eBay or other sites and it isnt what I expected. The confusion is clearly my fault. I had ZERO idea that these units had particular issues, and no idea how to even test it. As mentioned in my email to you, to me it was a box and a hunk of metal sitting in a closet for years that I just wanted to clean out. I should have done a better job anticipating the concerns. Had this been a benchrest rifle, EOS lens, classical guitar or otherwise I would have questioned every little detail...but VCR's just aren't my thing.

I believe, and I hope, that whoever buys this is thrilled with it and can make better use of it than I did.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As this is about to end in 2 minutes and there is a bid - if the buyer is someone here and you have any test you want me to perform before we both waste time in shipping, please send me a private message and I will do what I can.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I absolutely understand where you're coming from. It's a hard position to be in as a seller, because these things have become sort of the holy grail of VCRs, but they are usually owned by: a) television studios or hospitals that have beat the hell out of them or b) people who don't know what they are or how to ship them. So always good to get the word out, at least as far as shipping them, so we'll have some other good ones out there.

Edit: Wow, took a leap there at the end! I hope it gets a good home haha. OK, fess up, who bought this deck? I want a full report in the morning!
    Last edited by robjv1; 4th Apr 2011 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bahaha... the winning bidder was "mrhiball." $760 VCR? Hi Baller for sure...

EDIT: CRAP. I'm an idiot... that was you, DHewes, not the buyer. You can't see who bidders are on eBay.

Brain fart.
    Last edited by jbd5010; 4th Apr 2011 at 19:30. Reason: I'm an idiot
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by jbd5010 View Post
    Bahaha... the winning bidder was "mrhiball." $760 VCR? Hi Baller for sure...

EDIT: CRAP. I'm an idiot... that was you, DHewes, not the buyer. You can't see who bidders are on eBay.

Brain fart.
    Haha. I was sure it was you who won it! You were so quiet the whole time.

Yeah, I hate how eBay doesn't show you the bidders anymore, it's no fun lol

Well, $760 is about what I paid for both of my good ones, but that's easily the highest price I've seen one go for awhile now, probably since 2009. The average seemed to have been more around $500.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Haha, nah. I was pretty close to putting in the initial $500 bid. But I have a pile of crap in my closet I bought "out of curiosity" that I'm trying to sell already. For $500 I'll buy everyone drinks this weekend in Philly and have more fun than sitting in my apartment scrutinizing TBC performance wondering if the VCR was worth it, haha.
    Quote Quote  
  28. LOL. I know exactly what you mean, I have my share of buyers remorse as well. I got on this CRT kick right when I found out about the Sony KD-34XBR960 (and the 970) HD CRTs. The 960 was considered a reference quality set at the time, with great HD and SD picture. I mainly wanted it because all the LCD's I'd looked at had awful SD quality video and made my VHS to DVD conversions look like trash.

It was a great set, but I ended up buying three of them over about a year and a half period, which is at least two more than I needed LOL. Plus I ended up moving twice in that period, so I had to lug three 200lb TV sets around.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Wow, that's quite a lot there! I used to have a Vidicraft Detailer and was very fond of it, till I went all SignVideo so I could go S-Video cables throughout. I believe Orsetto said the AG-7650 is one of those pro decks that's not suitable for VHS to DVD work, but it would be fun to play around with. Never heard of the NovaTrol Novamate 2 Full-Frame Time Base Corrector.

Edit: Orsetto's comments on the AG-7650

Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    These "ultra-pro" Panasonics are fun to play with and look great on a shelf, but thats it. They are so far beyond overkill for consumer-made tapes that its not even funny: like trying to thread a needle with a tree branch. Units like the 7650 are optimized for pro-recorded VHS, made on pro hardware like the 7650 itself. Yeah, it may have cost $8000 back in the day, and have the optional $2000 TBC card, but a "pro-sumer" AG1980 will outperform it by miles if a consumer-made tape is loaded. A high-end JVC will also bury a 7650 for transfer to DVD.

Models like the 7650 were designed for analog post-production studios, to much higher standards than even the best consumer gear. They're the ultimate example of "garbage in, garbage out": no matter how good you might think your tapes are, they are crap compared to tapes recorded on a 7650-level vcr itself, and it will play them like crap. An AG1980 or JVC 9600 has reading specifications matched to typical consumer tapes, and processing circuits optimized to conceal their flaws. Thats why a clean AG1980 still fetches $125-350, while an AG7650 sells for less than the cost to ship it.
    I love the way he puts things.
    Quote Quote