VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is so special about RGB cables, supposedly offering the best possible Analog video quality?

-Is an RGB Scart better than componnent?
    -How can i make sure i'm getting RGB specification?
    -Is it available for all types of connectors, or only via SCART?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    -Is an RGB Scart better than componnent?
    Yes. Bit it will also depend on the source. RGB carries all three components at full resolution. Component usually carries the chroma (colors) at lower resolution than the luma (grayscale image). But if you have a low resolution source like VHS it doesn't much matter.

Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    -Is it available for all types of connectors, or only via SCART?
    SCART and VGA. HDMI and DVI too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "RGB" cables are analog component. Basically, it's closer to the YUV colorspace so you get a better picture.

OOPS: I thought this was related to 720p output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    "RGB" cables are analog component. Basically, it's closer to the YUV colorspace so you get a better picture.

OOPS: I thought this was related to 720p output.
    In PAL lands, tuner and VCR to TV SCART connections decode to RGB rather than YUV. It was a French idea.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. So does that mean i wont get RGB fom cinch RCA cables? I guess it does. BTW does it have to be on both ends, or is RGB only dependent on the input?

For example I have an RGB Scart cable from playstation. On one end it has the sony propriety output and the other end the SCART. Since i would like to use a cable for an Audio/Video device, could i get one one to have RCA and the other SCART and still get RGB?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are a number of SCART adapters for various purposes.
    http://www.svideo.com/scart.html

There is no transcoding going on, just adapting pins to connectors.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    There are a number of SCART adapters for various purposes.
    http://www.svideo.com/scart.html

There is no transcoding going on, just adapting pins to connectors.
    So if i get an RGB scart converter and attach it to a RCA cable, i wil manage to have RGB signal, with best possible outcome?

See i have a DVR-Station, where i attach my PMP (Personal MEdia Player), and i want to be able to output the best Analog Signal to an OLD TV. OLD TV's usually have RF,RCA,and Scart inputs.

So if i get one of these with an RGB SCART HEAD on the TV end, i can get maximum results?

Name:  rca-cable-short.jpg
Views: 4267
Size:  25.1 KB
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    So if i get an RGB scart converter and attach it to a RCA cable, i wil manage to have RGB signal, with best possible outcome?
    No. Only composite video travels over an RCA cable. You need a player with RGB on the SCART output, and a TV that accepts RGB via it's SCART input.

Keep in mind that almost all video files use YV12 internally. So you won't see much difference between RGB and component video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    No. Only composite video travels over an RCA cable. You need a player with RGB on the SCART output, and a TV that accepts RGB via it's SCART input.
    How do i know:
    -If cable is RGB
    -If player supports it?
    -If TV supports it?

Keep in mind that almost all video files use YV12 internally. So you won't see much difference between RGB and component video.
    Are we talking colorspaces here? I dont know much about that. What do i need to know about encoded video files and widely used colorspaces?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    In PAL lands, tuner and VCR to TV SCART connections decode to RGB rather than YUV.
    Historically, devices like VCRs would output composite PAL over SCART (S-VHS VCRs would send S-Video).
    Modern digital devices (DVD, satellite, etc.) can output RGB, S-Video and PAL over SCART - although not all three at the same time.

For example I have an RGB Scart cable from playstation. On one end it has the sony propriety output and the other end the SCART. Since i would like to use a cable for an Audio/Video device, could i get one one to have RCA and the other SCART and still get RGB?
    What's the model of your TV?

In the UK it's unusual for a TV not to have at least 1 SCART socket - not sure if the situation is different in Greece. Only one of the TVs in my house has 'Component' RCA sockets, and it expects the video in the YPbPr format (not RGB) - I don't think that's uncommon. Even if you found a 'SCART > 3x RCA' adapter, your TV possibly/probably wouldn't work with it.

Have you got a Playstation 1,2 or 3? A word of caution; my PS2 (slim) only sends out RGB when playing games - not when playing back DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    In PAL lands, tuner and VCR to TV SCART connections decode to RGB rather than YUV.
    Historically, devices like VCRs would output composite PAL over SCART (S-VHS VCRs would send S-Video).
    Modern digital devices (DVD, satellite, etc.) can output RGB, S-Video and PAL over SCART - although not all three at the same time.

In the UK it's unusual for a TV not to have at least 1 SCART socket - not sure if the situation is different in Greece. Only one of the TVs in my house has 'Component' RCA sockets, and it expects the video in the YPbPr format (not RGB) - I don't think that's uncommon. Even if you found a 'SCART > 3x RCA' adapter, your TV possibly/probably wouldn't work with it.

Have you got a Playstation 1,2 or 3? A word of caution; my PS2 (slim) only sends out RGB when playing games - not when playing back DVDs.
    There's not just one TV that i plan to use, but most (if not all) of my analog TV sets, support SCART, so does that mean that if the output devices supports RGB then the TV would definitely too? Or is it only set, to a specific colorset?

I have all of the playstation models, (PS1, PS2 Slim+PHAT and PS3). But i only use PS2 slim and PS3.

I see on the ps2 options that it has the RGB option setting, and i have been using that for a along time, but are you saying that outside the games it doesnt work? EG DVD-Video? I also have installed a media player application on the PS@ that allows .avi playback, so its possible that its not outputting RGB there as well?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    does that mean that if the output devices supports RGB then the TV would definitely too?
    No. From what I've read, not all PAL TVs support RGB over SCART.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by intracube View Post

There's not just one TV that i plan to use, but most (if not all) of my analog TV sets, support SCART, so does that mean that if the output devices supports RGB then the TV would definitely too? Or is it only set, to a specific colorset?

I have all of the playstation models, (PS1, PS2 Slim+PHAT and PS3). But i only use PS2 slim and PS3.

I see on the ps2 options that it has the RGB option setting, and i have been using that for a along time, but are you saying that outside the games it doesnt work? EG DVD-Video? I also have installed a media player application on the PS@ that allows .avi playback, so its possible that its not outputting RGB there as well?
    You need to get the manual for each device and study the specifications page for in and out support.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As jagabo says, a TV with a SCART connector isn't guaranteed to work with RGB signals. However, most TVs with SCART sockets do support RGB - so you should be ok.

I see on the ps2 options that it has the RGB option setting, and i have been using that for a along time, but are you saying that outside the games it doesnt work? EG DVD-Video?
    You haven't tried playing a DVD film on your PS2?

To clarify, the PS2 has a limitation which means DVD-Videos play back with an obvious 'green tint' to the image. It's only visible in RGB mode. If you haven't noticed the limitation, it might be because you're using a cable that doesn't support RGB (or your TV doesn't).

I've got a PS2 > SCART adaptor cable which has a switch that needs to be changed from RGB to composite video to get a normal image.

Also, as the PS2 isn't multi-region, I decided to get a separate DVD player in my bedroom and only use the PS2 for playing games.

I also have installed a media player application on the PS@ that allows .avi playback, so its possible that its not outputting RGB there as well?
    I don't know. I've only got a PS2, and I'm assuming you're referring to your PS3 - which might not have the same limitation.

These are some useful links:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps2/429078-why-screen-turning-green-ps2-dvd.html
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps2/221893-ps2-rgb-vs-component-cable.html

There's a comment in the second link suggesting that using component output from the PS2 can get round the green screen problem - haven't tried that method, though.
    Quote Quote