VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey HTPC experts! I have finally bought a new Yamaha HTR-6295 HT Receiver with HDMI inputs and outputs. This finally allows me to hook up my PC to the Home Theatre. But I have run into some issues. Hopefully the experts can help out.

First the PC hardware and software.

Windows 7 Ultimate
    PowerDVD 10
    MSI 790GX-G65 MB (NOT using onboard video or audio)
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 video card (supports 5.1 and 7.1 audio through HDMI onboard)
    Sound Blaster X-FI Extreme (actually NOT supplying HDMI audio)
    LG Blu-ray burner
    25 ft. HDMI cable running from video card to Yamaha receiver.

The problems.

1) When I set Windows to duplicate the monitor onto my Plasma TV, the video works perfectly. But the HDMI audio is not detected. I have not been able to find a way to have the software force HDMI audio detection. The only way I can get it to work is to physically pull the HDMI cable out from the back of the receiver and plug it back it and then Windows will see the HDMI audio and everything works great. Why won't the HDMI audio auto detect and enable like the video? How can I get Windows to auto detect?

2) I am only getting 2 channel stereo. I am expecting 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio from the Blu-ray sources that I am playing on my PC. PowerDVD says that the sources are 5.1 or 7.1 (ie DTS HD Master Audio) but according to my Yamaha receiver the audio is only 2 channel stereo. Why only 2 channel stereo? Does this have to do with the HDCP DRM? If so, how does one get around the DRM? If not DRM, how do I get the HD sound to the receiver?

Comment on my HDMI cable - I bought a 25 foot HDMI cable from my local electronic store. It was only $30. I know that it may not be the most expensive cable and I do hold it under some suspicion for the problems I am having. I am going to try to find a "better" quality cable to see if the cable is the problem. I will keep this forum posted with the results.

Aside from those 2 minor issues, the HTPC is a great way to go.

In the meantime, I welcome all suggestions, tips, tricks and questions anyone may have.

Cheers to all.

Moviewatcher666
    MovieWatcher666
    Quote Quote  
  2. The cable is not the problem.

When you say Blu-ray sources, do you mean actual blu-ray discs with a certified Blu-ray player? Or do you mean rips that no longer have AACS/BD+ protection? I'm pretty sure no certified Blu-ray player will allow two monitors in clone mode (duplicating AACS streams isn't allowed).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey jagabo,

I played an original purchased Blu-ray through the Blu-ray burner/player on my PC. I actually do not know if my LG Blu-ray drive is considered "certified" or not.

You are suspecting that the HDCP is the culprit for the 2 channel audio. I can try a Blu-ray copy to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
    MovieWatcher666
    Quote Quote  
  4. Update:

I had the Windows 7 drivers for my video card installed. I didn't realize that they were just the display drivers. Just downloaded and installed the new ATI Catalyst version 11 drivers and that solved the HDMI audio detection problem.

Now I just have to test a Blu-ray source to see if it send 5.1 and 7.1 audio to my receiver.

Here's hoping!
    MovieWatcher666
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ah, yes. Windows' built in drivers are pretty minimal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Update:

Checked a bunch of movies with HD audio and all works well now.

So the moral of this story is do not rely solely on the Windows 7 "generic" drivers. To get full benefit from your hardware, you are best to seek out and install the manufacturer's own drivers.

Is is so cool to surf the net and use my 50" TV as the monitor. I love it!

Later.
    MovieWatcher666
    Quote Quote