VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I wanted to share my experience using the Terapin Video Disc Recorder (VDR). I've had the recorder for almost a year and built a library of over one hundred movies recorded using my D-VHS/Dish Network satellite system. The quality of my VCD's are outstanding. First I record the movie on D-VHS tape and create my Video CD using the Terapin. I feed the s-video out on my D-VHS recorder into the s-video input on the Terapin VDR for optimal results. At times it seems as clear as a DVD. I'm using Pioneer, Imation, and Micro Center premium blank CD-R's to record my movies. When playing your VCD connect your DVD player to the s-video or component inputs on your TV to get a sharper detailed picture.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I recently purchased a Teac DV-3000 DVD player, which I understand was manufactured by Shinco. When playing a VCD created with the Terapin CD Video Recorder I've notice that the on-screen display is registering it as a 250 high clarity disc. The picture is clearer and sharper with much more detail then the one I have received when using my Pioneer DV-343 and Toshiba SD-2700. I believe the Terapin is creating a MPEG-1 VCD @2.4Mb/sec. bit rate instead of 1.2Mb/sec. Any thoughts on this and has anyone had a similar experience they would like to share.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the Terapin used a higher bit rate than the standard, you would get less recording time per CD. Are you getting about the amount of time that you should out of a given type of CD?
    I know that I get about 74 min on a 74 min CD, and 78min 50 sec on an 80 minute CD. So I know my terapin must be recording at the standard bit rate. Maybe there is a setting for this? I know I didn't see it. But I also saw a post on this forum where I guy was getting about half what he should've been able to get on a CD. Maybe I need to poke around in the Terapin menus.

see ya,
    Bullseye
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm also getting a full 74 min. and 78:50 from an 80-min. CD-R when recording with the Terapin. I assumed that the Terapin was recording at a higher bit rate because of the superior quality VCD's I'm creating and the fact the when using my Teac DV-3000 it was registering it as "250 H. Clarity" and the picture screams with detail and sharpness on my 50" projection TV. Also note that the Z1011 - Single Chip MPEG-1 Video Encoder in the Terapin has a programmable bit rate. For further information their website address is: www.zapex.co.il/products.shtml
    Quote Quote