VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm in the market to replace my aging Akai plasma TV, which is awaiting parts to put it back in service (under warranty!!). Time to move this one to a lesser-use part of the house.

One of the main reasons I bought it was that I could hook up external speakers directly to audio outputs on the TV, and select them vs. the built-ins. This avoided having to use an external sound system, which was--and is--my preferred hookup. I'd like to avoid having to further clutter up my system with another box, remote, etc.

Anyone know of new TVs (US) that allow that direct speaker connection? I've been to a couple of retailers (Costco and Electronic Express), and I can't find any that allow it.

Or, perhaps someone knows of a good website that gives comparisons between various models?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I opened up my HDTV and cut/spliced to external speakers. Only stereo though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reminder of this technique.

That might be the only solution (and I've done it with CRT units in the past), but I suspect I'd have to be *very* careful, lest I void a warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, I did it after the warranty expired. If I remember correctly, it had quick connects

http://www.statewire.com/index.php?categoryID=106&cat_name=Quick%20Disconnects&PHPSESS...43a3d566df5e4b

so it was easily reversed.

Before doing that I used a pair of powered speakers hooked up to the headphone outputs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Since my OP, I've been out and about checking what's available.

As suspected, no models allow direct speaker connection.

I did find this, which might be useful, since it takes up minimal space:

http://www.vizio.com/vsb200.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. But does it sound any better than the internal speakers?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends on the speakers, amp & crossovers used in the soundbar, but there's a good chance. SRS and other "surround" soundbars give their effect by using L/R crosstalk cancellation circuits. This is quite convincing and gives a clear front hemisphere/arc of soundstage compared to regular stereo.

<rant>
    However, OP, I'm BOYCOTTING Visio!!!
    They have been putting out "inexpensive" (now found out = cheap!) products for the last couple of years and I was happy with my 32" Plasma HDTV until its power supply crapped out 2 weeks ago. Only just over 2years old, but their warranty quits after a year and even for those still under warranty, reports have been all over the net about how unhelpful, slow and evasive their sevice is.
    If I'd have known that 2 years ago, I would have opted to pay an extra 50 bucks and gotten a reliable brand (Samsung, Pioneer, Philips, Sony, Panasonic, Sharp). Now I've got a $400 boat anchor in my living room that would cost more to repair than to get replaced!!
    </rant>

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    [...] I would have opted to pay an extra 50 bucks and gotten a reliable brand (Samsung, Pioneer, Philips, Sony, Panasonic, Sharp). Now I've got a $400 boat anchor in my living room that would cost more to repair than to get replaced!!
    Samsungs blow within two years on average, every set they sell has a crummy PSU and each model range has a different set of ridiculous issues. Pioneer was way overpriced for what it was (a Panasonic with a few very notable improvements but also Panasonics own plasma issues), they priced themselves right out of business in 2009. Sony rides a rollercoaster of one year great, next year total crap (plus they're tied to the Samsung panel lottery nonsense of the TV you get bearing no relation to the TV on display in the store or reviewed on tech websites). Panasonic plasma has so many pissed-off owner forums going right now I lost count, their LCDs are pretty good but many have had breakdown issues in the sound or power systems. Sharp has so many versions of their LCD panels in distribution even they can't keep track which of their models is good and which is crap. And I haven't even mentioned LG or Toshiba (roll the dice with either). In other words, the grass isn't greener anywhere these days. Flat screen mfrs have not been able to get their acts together to make a coherent, reliable line of sets since they killed CRTs some years ago (a good Trinitron will still be working ten years from now, but odds are no flat panel you buy today will survive to its fourth birthday).

The Vizio 32" plasma has quite a little cult following, since its the smallest plasma they sold and many plasma fans with small living spaces loved the option of a 32" instead of the usual huge 42" minimum plasma size. Like dozens of other LCD and plasma models, the Vizio suffered contamination from the endless supply of infamous counterfeit Chinese power capacitors. There are DIY repair threads everywhere dedicated to specific TVs from each mfr, coincidentally I ran across one for your Vizio last week while researching something else. If you're willing to use a soldering iron and a screwdriver, you should be able to fix your Vizio for the price of a McDonalds Happy Meal by following instructions like those found here. Your Vizio was the last of its kind, if you liked having a small plasma its worth fixing if you can manage it yourself for a few bucks.
    Last edited by orsetto; 5th Feb 2011 at 02:44.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I purchased the Vizio sound bar, which is a *vast* improvement over the built-in speakers of the LG tv. However, it uses a power "brick" and stays powered even when the amp is turned off. Unfortunately, the switched power outlet on the the DVR/Cable box does NOT "switch," so the brick is active all the time. Bit of a power "vampire."
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post
    Unfortunately, the switched power outlet on the the DVR/Cable box does NOT "switch,"
    The cable box's setup menus may have the option switch the power outlet.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Feb 2011 at 06:58.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I should have mentioned that I selected the "switched" option on the DVR/Cable box via the setup menu, and it doesn't work.
    Quote Quote