VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Over the years I've accumulated quite the collection of pictures off the internet. Whenever I find something interesting I save it.

For the sake of ease, I used to just hit save as. I could just skim the image folder for the picture I needed. ...That's not exactly ideal once you have thousands of images...

So I'd like a program I can use to quickly crop, rename, and compress (good quality jpeg with good size-quality ratio) pictures, then just hit next to do the next one without the need to drag & drop the next picture into the program or deal with format dialogs again.

Anyone know of a good program to do this in?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most image editors use the same settings from the previous save
    a good free editor is the gimp
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Gimp is what I started off using, and it's just a horribly slow way to do it. Something like 4 dialogs to jump through as well as changing folders every time (it defaults to the folder the original image was saved in) for each picture. While that doesn't sound like much, it adds up over 3000-some files.

I hope there's a program better suited for this type of task.

Ideally, I'd just open the first picture, type in a name, highlight the area to crop to if needed, hit save, and hit next then it'd load the next picture in the folder. Surely there's some program out there that's made for this type of situation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Might want to checkout irfanview
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Might want to checkout irfanview
    I second that. Excellent tool for batch processing images
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    irfanview works perfectly. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Irfanview for ten or eleven years. One thing I really like about it is if I'm browsing and don't save a photo that I like, I can use the thumbnail viewer and look through the temporary internet files to find the photos I want to save. If you set the option to sort thumbnails by size descending then you don't have to deal with all the small files to get to the movies and large photos.

Irfanview is also my default animated GIF viewer.

Irfanview, Photoshop and Gif Movie Gear are my three main photo programs that I use almost daily.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I showed the author of Irfanview a goof with the .png image display...then forgot all about it
    he fixed it...
    Quote Quote