VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. well here's my issue, ive been ripping dvd's and iso's with makemkv and ive been running into the same exact problem almost every time (btw this problem does not occur while ripping blu-rays)

lets say the dvd is 16:9 (720x400)...
    makemkv will make an mkv file with a ratio of 3:2 and pixel size of 720x480 with no distortion just black bars on both the top and bottom

since there are no real setting on makemkv i'm guessing my best luck is with another program editing the mkv

so ive been trying to fix this with MKVtoolnix
    ive tried typing in the pixel size (720x400)
    ive tried setting the aspect ratio (16:9)
    ive tried cropping (0,40,0,40): all with no luck

and just to be clear, this is what i have:

this is what i want:

thank you any feedback will be greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Then must you reconvert and crop with for example handbrake. Makemkv and mkvtoolnix does not support that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thank you baldrick, but there's no way to get makemkv itself to stop doing this or to edit without re-encoding?

im just curious as to why makemvk would do this to the video in the first place

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Makemkv doesn't do anything. The video contains black borders. But it should be 720x480 with 16:9 display aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jadasneez View Post
    lets say the dvd is 16:9 (720x400)...
    That's your mistake, I would guess. As Baldrick says, it's 720x480. If you want to both crop and resize, I suppose you'll have to use something different for the job.
    Quote Quote