VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Double-sided, double-layer DVD media. Are the they the same thing?

I downloaded rar files for a movie, and I burned it to a 4.7mb disc. It burned just fine, didn't stop and tell me that the disc was too small or anything like that. But when I played it back and tried to access the extra features, the menu instructed me to flip the disc for the extras. I do know that a 4.7mb disc is single-sided and can't be flipped. Are the extras hiding somewhere or did they not burn because I used the wrong blank?

I looked at the info file that was downloaded, and, sure enough this is what I found under 'disc size':
    "Disc Size: 4.34 + 4.84 Gb (one double-sided disc) - Exact untouched copy"

Everything else seems to be there, all the subtitles. Everything but the extra features.

So do I need double-layer media, which is available just about everywhere from Wal-Mart to Office Depot to Best Buy.

Or do I need double-sided media. I know it exists, because I've bought movies that had to be flipped to access extras, etc. But I've never seen it stores. Is this what is called DVD-10. And where do I find it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A dual layer disc has double the capacity of of a normal disc on one side. A double sided disc will have the capacity of a single disc on both the top and bottom of the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ibzomie View Post
    Or do I need double-sided media. I know it exists, because I've bought movies that had to be flipped to access extras, etc. But I've never seen it stores. Is this what is called DVD-10. And where do I find it?
    Consumer burnable double-sided DVDs do indeed exist, but they are insanely expensive. The only place I know of that sells them will make you spend almost $300 to buy something like a 100 pack. Honestly, you'd come out way ahead to just buy a legitimate copy of the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if both images are in fact there, you could burn them on two separate DVD-5s. The images don't care if they're back to back or not
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC there also exists the even rarer DVD-17 - double-sided/dual layer
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Or do I need double-sided media. I know it exists, because I've bought movies that had to be flipped to access extras, etc. But I've never seen it stores.
    Although such "recordable" media does exist, the one's you have bought or rented are "Pressed" and totally different than "recordable" you can't always assume one type exists because the other does

95teetee suggestion is the way i have always backed up flipper disc's
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have one purchased film that I recall was DVD-17 - Gettysburg. That sucker was good, but loooong. I have never seen DVD-17 recordable media for sale.

NB: If the americans on this board think DL disks are expensive, you ought to try buying them in this part of the world. Scarce as hens teeth, usually only available as singles or 10 disk spindles, and the pricing is insane.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I downloaded rar files for a movie, and I burned it to a 4.7mb disc. It burned just fine, didn't stop and tell me that the disc was too small or anything like that. But when I played it back and tried to access the extra features, the menu instructed me to flip the disc for the extras. I do know that a 4.7mb disc is single-sided and can't be flipped. Are the extras hiding somewhere or did they not burn because I used the wrong blank?

I looked at the info file that was downloaded, and, sure enough this is what I found under 'disc size':

Everything else seems to be there, all the subtitles. Everything but the extra features.

So do I need double-layer media, which is available just about everywhere from Wal-Mart to Office Depot to Best Buy.

Legal downloads, especially movies, doesnt come rar'ed.
    And I doubt a 4.7mb disc does exist.

And double LAYER is not double SIDE.
    Double layer or dual layer is 2 layers on 1 side, double sided is called flipper.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by [_chef_] View Post

Legal downloads, especially movies, doesnt come rar'ed.
    And I doubt a 4.7mb disc does exist.

And double LAYER is not double SIDE.
    Double layer or dual layer is 2 layers on 1 side, double sided is called flipper.
    It seems obvious he is talking about a 4.7GB (DVD-5) disc.
    Quote Quote