VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

I have an Nvidia 8400 GS Video Card.

recently my computer was infected with a rootkit. I took it to the PC shop and got it all fixed and sorted...

however, stupidly when I got it back I updated my video card driver. Now I know what you're thinking... updating a video driver is always a good thing. Well not in this particular case. With the 8400 GS when you get above a certain driver you cant play older games like quake, quake II, Doom Legacy, etc...

Now, the problem is that I have no idea what the previous driver was and for the life of me I cannot find the one thread that I found ages ago which indicates the driver that should not be exceeded.

So i'm sorta hoping that somebody here knows about this issue and can clear it up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you all for your time
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try going into Device Manager and rolling back the driver.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You wouldn't be the first one to have that issue. If it was working well for you before you should just roll back your drivers: start -> control panel -> device manager -> display adapters ->properties ->driver -> roll back drivers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what game?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    what game?
    Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Doom Legacy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I tried rolling back the driver but it just asks for the windows CD which i cant find. And because it asks for the windows CD its obviously looking for a very old driver.

This is why i was hoping somebody might know exactly which driver cannot be exceeded. I think the thread that I came across was on the nVidia forum but i cant think of what to search for, it was a long time ago.
    Quote Quote  
  7. i was just about to say..... It's ok! i found the driver on my HD. luckily i kept it. The very last GOOD driver is 190.38 anything after that doesn't allow you to run quake, quake 2, quake 3, doom legacy etc....

Although, after reinstalling this older driver I cannot run Quake 3 because it says "could not load OpenGL subsystem" but i'll look into it. It should be easy to fix.
    Quote Quote