VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Also, Aedipuss, thanks a ton for all the help. You finally made it work! Yesterday I had posted my question on the youtube/google forum and I got really crappy responses. Someone actually told me that the problem was with Avidemux!

In fact a google employee too gave me pretty unhelpful responses. (Aren't they "supposed" to help troubleshoot?!) Well, in any case he didn't help any more than suggesting that YouTube's transcoder does not respond well to MPEG-PS. In the same post he also pointed me to one of YouTube's help pages which listed MPEG-PS as one of the formats which YouTube supports! Finally, he asked me a couple of questions about the source and then disappeared when I asked him if I should upload it for him to take a look!

In fact I have seen so many questions on YouTube's forums which remain either unanswered/crappily answered. And from my experience it seems to make much more sense to take my video related queries either here or to Doom9.

Thanks a lot, once again!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok so it's a still cam shooting video. does the video start off with the posted specs?
    Video Capture: MPEG - 640 x 480 - 16 fps
    somewhere along the line it got converted to 25fps. i thought it might be playing a bit fast.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't quite get you. The original video file which I transferred straight from my Digicam to my computer shows 25 fps. So, I don't know how you are getting 16 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. General
    Complete name : G:\Harekrishna Rath\MOV02114.MPG
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 353 MiB
    Duration : 16mn 55s
    Overall bit rate : 2 912 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 1
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 2 790 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.363
    Stream size : 338 MiB (96%)

Audio
    ID : 192 (0xC0)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 64.0 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 32.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 7.75 MiB (2%)
    Quote Quote  
  5. What I posted above is the original file which is ~ 17 minutes long. This is straight from my Digicam to my computer. I split this file into two 8 minute segments so that I could upload them on YouTube. We have been working with the first chunk throughout this thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by selectivesloth View Post
    I don't quite get you. The original video file which I transferred straight from my Digicam to my computer shows 25 fps. So, I don't know how you are getting 16 fps.

i looked up the camera specs and that's what is listed for the video output. 16.6fps. it might explain the duplicated frames in the video. are you copying the file straight off of the memory card as in copy/paste to the hard drive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-01-28_163438.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	496.7 KB
ID:	5337
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, I am doing that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So, if it outputs at 16.6 fps, why does the file show 25 fps in mediainfo?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I uploaded the video on YT. The quality has dropped from the mp4 that I saved on my machine. Why has that happened? Is there a way that could have been avoided? I wonder if using the mp4 container was not such a good idea? It never gave me good result with YT. Could we have done the same thing with AVI container? YT responds better to AVI, mov and mpeg, I think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mp4 is the best available for uploading to youtube. youtube re-encodes everything so there is always some video quality loss. try raising the bitrate to quality 100 and uncheck multipass.

as for the framerate - you got me? it looks like it records at 16.6fps from the sensor but writes the video file at 25fps by inserting duplicate frames. it wasn't meant to be much of a video cam. sorry.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, I had raised the bitrate to 100% before encoding them. I did keep multipass checked though. I guess it can't be worse than single pass. Isn't that correct?

Oh, that's a bit sad. So this means that I will always have this problem whenever I take a video with this camera? Meaning that I will always have to re-encode the video in this manner if I want to upload it to YouTube?

Also, so far I have uploaded a lot of mpegs on to YT. I have never had any problem. This was the first time, and now I know how to sort it out. The point is that I never had to really re-encode my mpegs to get better quality. YT handles mpegs pretty well, I am told. According to YT, it's best to re-encode to xvid, mp3, 640x480. If that is the case, shouldn't we have done that instead of AVC/AAC?

Personally I don't know how much of a quality difference can one really expect with such tweaking. My guess is, not much. What is your experience?

Also, can you suggest some good HD camcorder which is cheap enough?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Actually it does explain because 16.6 x 1.5 ~ 25

So essentially a 2 minute actual video is frame-duplicated to run for 3 minutes. And this is somehow causing the sync issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    from the horses mouth.

Name:	2011-01-28_181437.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	5339

they would prefer mp4.

what kind of budget for the video camera? in u.s. dollars as that's all i know....
    --
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't understand different codecs and formats clearly as of yet. I guess will need to read more. Most of what I have uploaded is Mpeg - PS. YT hasn't really spoiled them much, only the slight quality loss which is normal. But I could try experimenting a bit with the recommended codecs and see if I get a quality improvement that justifies the time spent on re-encoding. How do you upload on youtube? Do you get re-encode everything a particular way before uploading?

As for the camcorder, I need something that is capable of HD. And it should be something that can do justice to high-level music performances and concerts where audio and video, especially audio quality matters a lot. I wouldn't want to save some money and buy some useless piece of equipment which does a shoddy job at recording concerts and performances.

So, what kind of an expenditure am I looking at? What's the least price at which I can get something decent which does what I want it to do? I am hoping to get something around $ 200. But I have absolutely no clue what's the price for what I need.

So please let me know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are some low cost ones.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/best-budget-camcorders/
    --
    Quote Quote  
  16. Most of these look like pocket camcorders. Is it a good idea to use them for recording high level musical performances?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I see that there is a huge price differential between bigger looking camcorders, the ones you grip with wrist strap and hold at shoulder length and the smaller pocket camcorders which I think are being referred to as mini camcorders. Why such a big price gap? What is the difference in quality between these two types of video recorders? And more importantly, which type of corder do I need given that I am looking to record high-level musical performances.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by selectivesloth View Post
    Personally I don't know how much of a quality difference can one really expect with such tweaking?
    A lot. I already told you it was way too dark and murky. Is that how it comes out of the camera? Like aedipuss, I suspect something's happened somewhere between the 16.67fps the camera takes and the 25fps video info you're showing us.

And that explains the dupe frames I was asking about.

Since you seem to have removed the sample (?), how about another one, or even the entire video, as suggested before?

Originally Posted by selectivesloth View Post
    Actually it does explain because 16.6 x 1.5 ~ 25

So essentially a 2 minute actual video is frame-duplicated to run for 3 minutes. And this is somehow causing the sync issue.
    Nope. 50% more frames (the duplicates) and a 50% higher framerate (25 .vs the original 16.67), means exactly the same length as the original. Supposed to be anyway.
    Last edited by manono; 29th Jan 2011 at 00:35.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The camera captures at 16.6 but it duplicates every third frame and renders the video at 25.

aedipuss has already resolved the issue by re-encoding the video with AVC/AAC in MP4 container using Mpegstreamclip.

You can play around with the sample if you want --> http://www.wikiupload.com/QCQYP9JU1X5UGBL ~ 25.77 M
    Quote Quote  
  20. No, all that's been resolved is getting the video to play at the right speed and to keep the audio in synch. But if you want all your videos to look like garbage, that's your right.

You also said you've never had this problem before, so apparently you did something differently with this one than you did before. Unless the YouTube encoding practices have changed, but I don't think that's the case.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Nope, I didn't do anything differently. This is the first video I have shot with my camera; the other videos were not shot by me. As I said, it's a camera issue, not a YT or encoding issue.

The mp4 export renders a video which looks exactly as good as the source. I am not sure how a re-encode can look better than the source. If that's what you are suggesting, please tell me how you will achieve that.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by selectivesloth View Post
    If that's what you are suggesting, please tell me how you will achieve that.
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. For the third time I'm saying your black levels are crushed and the video is way too dark and murky.

But since I seem to be stuck forever with 'Processing your request to download file...', I guess we'll never know just how much it can be improved.

This is the first video I have shot with my camera; the other videos were not shot by me.
    Well, maybe this thread is getting kind of long and I missed that, but I nowhere did I read that the other videos came from a different source.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Oh you are unable to download? That's funny. I just started downloading it right now. Worked perfectly. Maybe a traffic issue on your end.

Yes, I haven't mentioned that so far on this thread. But the sync really was a camera issue.
    Quote Quote  
  24. MPEG only supports a handful of specific rates and none of them is 16.67 (23.976 is the lowest). Although it appears the correct rate for the video is indeed 16.67 fps, the MPG file is marked 25 fps. That's why Youtube converts it as such.

The audio is a little out of sync and it could use more work, but here's the video after fixing the frame rate (16.67 fps), adjusting the levels and colors, deshaking, and encoding with x264.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hey, this is awesome. Can you tell me how and what tools you used so that I can do the same thing to the whole video?

Yes, there is a slight out of sync problem. The video plays a tad slower than the audio. It probably lags by roughly a second. Could you tell how to fix that as well?
    Last edited by selectivesloth; 29th Jan 2011 at 06:10.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I used a combination of AviSynth and VirtualDub. But you can do all of it in VirtualDub:

Name:	vdub.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	5346

You can use the Video -> Frame Rate... dialog to fix the frame rate.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Jan 2011 at 08:40.
    Quote Quote  
  27. A couple of problems: (I am using VirtualDub 1.9.11 -- stable, 32 bit, x86 version)

1) I can't find "Deshaker" in the Filters menu.

2) In your image, you have a [C] at the beginning of HSV adjust. Can you tell me how to get that?

3) How do I export to mp4? I checked Video --> Compression. H264 is not listed there.

4) I went to Video --> Frame Rate. Out here there are two options --> a) Source Rate Adjustment and b) Frame Rate conversion

a) I have selected --> Change so video and audio durations match

b) I don't know if I need to change anything here or retain the default which is --> "Process all frames"

5) I think you have left the audio compression untouched and the way to do that would be to select "Direct Stream Copy" under Audio. Is

that correct?

Please let me know,

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  28. Deshaker doesn't come with VirtualDub. It's a third party filter:

http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm

VirtualDub doesn't support exporting to MP4 directly. You'll need an export plugin for that.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331131-ts-mkv-do-I-need-tsMuxer-mkvMerge-or-vDub-is...=1#post2051766

For Youtube uploads you can just use Xvid in an AVI container though.

For the frame rate change you want to use the "Source Rate Adjustment" section. Tick "Change Framerate to:" and enter 16.67. That tells VirtualDub to ignore the frame rate indicated in the source file and just assume it's 16.67. Don't change anything else.

Deshaker is a little tricky to use. You must set it to Pass 1 and run an analysis pass (File -> Run Video Analysis Pass). Then go back and set it to Pass 2 and you're ready to go. When I processed your video I turned off Detect Zoom. And I set the Horizontal Panning, Vertical Panning, and Rotation values to 5000. Everything else was left at the defaults.

You can adjust the audio skew via Audio -> Interleaving... set Delay Audio Track to the required value (milliseconds) to a positive value to delay the audio, a negative value to advance the audio.

When you open your MPG file tick the "Ask for extended options..." option in the File Open dialog. One of the options is "Allow direct stream copy of mpeg audio".
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Jan 2011 at 11:36.
    Quote Quote  
  29. "Allow Direct stream copy of mpeg audio" did not appear. I only get three options --> I frames, I and P frames only, All frames (I,P,B).

Will selecting "Direct Stream Copy" under audio drop-down not achieve the same function?

Instead of adjusting the source frame rate to a particular frequency and then delaying or speeding up audio to sync with it, does it not make more sense to select "Change so Audio and Video match"? Incidentally, the frequency in this case is 16.76 fps as shown by Vdub, slightly more than 16.67 which perhaps explains that the video in the file which you created slightly lags behind the audio.

Also, in your image, you have a [C] at the beginning of HSV adjust. Can you tell me how to get that?
    Quote Quote