VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Using Avidemux, I noticed that cuts at "I-Frames" work best. However, some of my video files only have one I-frame every 10 seconds or so. Is it possible to create/insert additional I-Frames to allow more precise editing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    However, some of my video files
    What type of file?.....or should we just guess?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Using Avidemux, I noticed that cuts at "I-Frames" work best. However, some of my video files only have one I-frame every 10 seconds or so. Is it possible to create/insert additional I-Frames to allow more precise editing?

Probably not in the way you want to. You can't just insert I-frames without re-encoding. If you re-encode you can set them anywhere
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Using Avidemux, I noticed that cuts at "I-Frames" work best. However, some of my video files only have one I-frame every 10 seconds or so. Is it possible to create/insert additional I-Frames to allow more precise editing?

Probably not in the way you want to. You can't just insert I-frames without re-encoding. If you re-encode you can set them anywhere
    I was afraid of that. Anyone know of a newbie guide for re-encoding an AVI file into an AVI file with more frequent I-frames? If I re-encode at the same bitrate as the original file, will there be significant quality loss?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If avi has divx or xvid just cut on p or b frams and smart copy will pop up select q:4 and you can cut on any frame
    dunno why it won't let you cut, works for me
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have been wondering about a similar issue.

I also have source video with I-frames wide appart (XVID, 4CC codec, mp3 audio). When I cut on either p- of b-frames I get pixelated playback in the resulting video-file UNTIL it hits the first I-frame and builds up the correct images from then on.

And the sad thing is, that I only need to make an I-frame at the beginning of the video so running the whole thing thru compression once again seems pointless because of further loss of quality. So perhaps someone knows of another open source/freeware program that will make a copy without re-encoding anything except the first frame? Or a work-around in AVIDemux??
    Last edited by morgan.freeman; 28th Jan 2011 at 07:08. Reason: further details
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dylz View Post
    If avi has divx or xvid just cut on p or b frams and smart copy will pop up select q:4 and you can cut on any frame
    dunno why it won't let you cut, works for me
    I'm so glad you told me! The first avi file that I tried that with used a different codec (I think H.264) and the output was messed up. I had no idea divx and xvid would be different. [The previous editing program and interface that I used to edit Xvid and DivX files must have defaulted to only cutting on the nearest I-frame, resulting in very imprecise edits.]

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by MJS; 28th Jan 2011 at 07:27.
    Quote Quote