VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know if the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 will work with Windows 7. I'm thinking of upgrading but have to know if the PVR 150 will work.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Will work on Windows 7 32bit and no more than 3gig of ram
    Quote Quote  
  3. My Hauppauge PVR150 is working fine in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. In fact it's working better than it ever did in XP! You MUST have less than 4Gb for it to work in Win7 64-bit (there is a way of telling Windows that you have slightly less than 4096Mb which apparently works) and you'll want a recent version of the Hauppauge drivers (v2.? or later) but you will need to have the original CD that came with the card to install any of the recent drivers. (I think you can purchase one from Hauppauge for a small fee if you've lost yours.) You'll almost certainly want to tweak the card's sharpness setting if nothing else (ProcAmp settings can be found in the registry but you'll have to either reboot Windows or restart the Hauppauge service for the changes to take effect.)

You'll also probably want to change the Static and Temporal filter settings using Graphedit.

I'm not in front of the machine with my PVR150 in and I can't remember where the ProcAmp settings are in the registry or which filter you have to add in Graphedit or which key you have to add to the registry to get Win7 to remember those settings, but all of that info can be found either on the Hauppauge forums or at Doom9 or on the GB-PVR forums (or you could just ask Mr X at the Hauppauge forums, he's a very useful man to talk to for anything Hauppauge related.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    you will need to have the original CD that came with the card to install any of the recent drivers. (I think you can purchase one from Hauppauge for a small fee if you've lost yours.)
    Actually, no you don't if you know how to do it.

They wanted $9.95 for the original disc with the OLD drivers/software on it in order to install their new drivers which they have online for download.

If they want you to pay for a new disc they should at least put the NEW drivers/software on it.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/323351-Hauppauge-PVR-250-software-question?p=201277...=1#post2012771
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    runs great on win7 64 bit here... no drivers needed if running in wmc.... limit ur ram with msconfig from run command, boot tab, advanced settings, check maximum memory, add the value 4095... then open media center & configure the card... mine works similar to a dumb vcr (put something thru it, run on chl 3, hit record)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all for the info... just what I was looking for. As usual the people on this site are awsome.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not one to advocate that people use torrents to get software but it is total horse crap that Hauppauge wants to force you to buy CDs.

I bought two Hauppauge 1800 MCE Kits from Fry's Electronics that came with WinTV but when I try to use them to upgrade, Hauppauge tells me that they are only driver discs and won't let me upgrade.

I've bought three Hauupauge cards (including a 1212 HD-PVR) and that's the way they want to treat me.

I think it's bullcrap that they don't give you a working demo copy of VideoRedo 4 or create their own software that will edit H264.with the HD-PVR.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	max0003.jpg
Views:	2381
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	5322  

Quote Quote  
  8. The MCE versions are designed to work with the MS Media Center software and use the media center remote control which is why the MCE versions should be cheaper than the full versions which do come with PVR software and the Hauppauge remote control. Also I don't see why you expect Hauppage to provide you with editing software? Frankly I'm glad they didn't bundle some unwanted, lacklustre, barely fit for purpose editing software and charge me for the privilege of owning it! My Humax 9200T PVR allows me to transfer recordings to my PC via USB but they didn't supply any editing software and I wouldn't expect them to.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then why did they ship with WinTV 6? That is PVR software and it ships with a remote control which is why it listed for $128.99. If they would not have come with capture software then I would not have bought them. The only reason that the MCE version was cheaper than the ATI card that I was going to buy was because they had a rebate and they were on sale.

You think Hauppauge is right for shipping WinTV 6 with cards and then refusing to update the drivers and software. They used to update them for free but decided it would be better to screw their customers and charge them for the upgrade. I don't see anybody else charging people for driver updates.

The 1212 HD-PVR already comes with lackluster Arcsoft software. Charging $200 for a capture device, they could've come up with something better than that. I would rather the software do nothing but capture than the other useless crap it does. Cutting commercials out without having to recode would be a nice bonus since that's what the hardware was meant to capture. DVR recordings from STBs.

All the capture cards I've bought came with editing sofware. Videowave III, Videowave 4, Studio 8, Studio 9. I've bought scanners, printers and DVD burners where the software was worth as much if not more that the hardware itself.

I don't really expect them to partner with VideoRedo to create a branded version for the 1212 even though it is the only real viable option for editing digital TV captures and I definitely don't expect them to hire software writers to create their own software to edit these captures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The VideoRedo version I use ... costs alot ... and if it was included with the 1212 ... oooh weee ... how much would the HP PVR 1212 cost then ??
    Quote Quote  
  11. If they shipped with WinTV6 Then yes, it should be eligable for an upgrade to the latest version. I was always under the impression that the MCE versions didn't ship with WinTV. I think you can still download the latest drivers from their website without needing the CD, so you could use it with Media Center or one of the many 3rd party apps that can use the PVr150.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest View Post
    The VideoRedo version I use ... costs alot ... and if it was included with the 1212 ... oooh weee ... how much would the HP PVR 1212 cost then ??
    Well, since the upgrade is only $25, I'm sure they could've thrown in a working branded copy for that price or lower and still made money off of the deal. Getting that from everyone who buys a Hauppauge 1212 is a lot more than they get from a percentage of Hauppauge users who actually buy Videoredo.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    If they shipped with WinTV6 Then yes, it should be eligable for an upgrade to the latest version. I was always under the impression that the MCE versions didn't ship with WinTV. I think you can still download the latest drivers from their website without needing the CD, so you could use it with Media Center or one of the many 3rd party apps that can use the PVr150.
    That's why I uploaded the pics of the WinTV Discs. Those are the discs that I received with the two cards that I purchased.

I hadn't used the 1800 since purchasing the 1212 and decided to install WinTV and scan for channels again. I tried installing the updated drivers and software and was told I needed to buy the CDs because my discs were only driver discs. I was able to find a way to install the updates without being forced to buy discs that I already owned.
    Quote Quote