VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As the title says.

I have some videos that I want to put on DVDs. They have 3 Audio Streams and 5 Subtitle streams on them. I need a program that can convert them so that I can access the different Audio and Subtitles on my PS3. I've converted other dual-audio things and single audio with softsubs and I can never access the other audio or ANY subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertXtoDVD is about the only thing I can think of that may do that many streams. Most of the others will do one or two audio streams and one or two subtitle streams only.

Generally, after conversion, you will have to use the audio and susbtitle buttons on your remote to change streams.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    ConvertXtoDVD is about the only thing I can think of that may do that many streams. Most of the others will do one or two audio streams and one or two subtitle streams only.

Generally, after conversion, you will have to use the audio and susbtitle buttons on your remote to change streams.
    Thanks, it looks good (and kind of expensive, but if it works I will buy it)

But does the subtitles and audio on the output file work on a PS3? I've tried a lot of programs to encode to MP4 and AVI and such, and the alternate subtitle/audio stream doesn't ever show up on the PS3 menu. (It simply defaults to stream 1 with no subtitles)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want a DVD Video disc, or just files you can play ?

ConvertxtoDVD will create DVD Video discs. MultiAVCHD can create DVD or AVCHD video discs that can support multiple audio and subtitle streams.

Other formats can support some of these features, but playback may not support all of them. E.g. MP4 can contain multiple audio tracks, and the PS3 can switch between them, but subtitle support is much more limited. Again, you have to switch between the streams by using the remote (triangle button during playback brings up a menu that allows you switch audio and subtitle streams where available). The PS3's ability to handle subtitles is limited outside of authored discs. It won't play external subs at all.

The most flexible single file format is probably M2TS, which has a big overhead for muxing, but can handle multiple audio and subtitle streams, and the PS3 can play these from USB keys or HDD. The only issue with the format is DTS audio, as the PS3 appears to only play DTS audio from authored discs (certainly true for HD DTS audio)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Do you want a DVD Video disc, or just files you can play ?

ConvertxtoDVD will create DVD Video discs. MultiAVCHD can create DVD or AVCHD video discs that can support multiple audio and subtitle streams.

Other formats can support some of these features, but playback may not support all of them. E.g. MP4 can contain multiple audio tracks, and the PS3 can switch between them, but subtitle support is much more limited. Again, you have to switch between the streams by using the remote (triangle button during playback brings up a menu that allows you switch audio and subtitle streams where available). The PS3's ability to handle subtitles is limited outside of authored discs. It won't play external subs at all.

The most flexible single file format is probably M2TS, which has a big overhead for muxing, but can handle multiple audio and subtitle streams, and the PS3 can play these from USB keys or HDD. The only issue with the format is DTS audio, as the PS3 appears to only play DTS audio from authored discs (certainly true for HD DTS audio)
    Hmm ok, I'll look into these things and see what works for me, thank you for your time!

If nothing works I guess I will have to hardcode the subtitles and kill off the audio, but I hope not...

Thanks~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use TSMuxer to convert an MKV file with multiple audio/subs and H264 video to an m2ts file in a couple of minutes - no re-encoding. Very simple. Or you could look at mkv2vob.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote