VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I tested to encode something in a HD format, and I tried like every single basic codec I can use, and each result had terrible poor results. It looks and sounds worse than the original file, which is lossless and perfect. All I want to do is basically resize the video to a HD resolution. The results come to gross video artifacts, from color bleeding to bad looking blurring, and visual artifacts from frame to frame. The audio even chips in to make it more obnoxious. I tried using the MP3 codec and it amplifies the audio to the point of distortion. Why is Super (c) giving such terrible results? I tried to make things loseless and yet it's riddled with artifacts. I don't recall having such trouble with this before I updated it, and now it's just a headache and a complete disappointment. Can any other Super (c) users help me out on this? here is a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLDE6Bjwa18
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Super is just a bunch of freeware programs thrown together under a common GUI. You might try something different. Resizing, if done incorrectly, will give you poor results. Re-encoding incorrectly will also give you poor results. You will never get lossless unless you use a lossless codec and don't mind huge file sizes. Any type of conversion will result in some quality loss.

What's the source videos format? What program did you use to capture it? You can post the information from MediaInfo, tree view, here which will tell us a lot about your source video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I used camstudio to record the video, which is a lossless codec, so it was pixel perfect. I tried to convert the file to another lossless format, and I tried a whole bunch of other formats as well, but it all ended up riddled with artifacts. All the conversion processing turns out to be terrible. Before, it even had the wrong colors until I enabled DirectShow or something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and I tried a whole bunch of other formats as well,
    The devil is in the details.
    You likely did something wrong -- we'd need to know all the settings of source and software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I tried like 20 different settings and codecs so I don't get what I'd be doing wrong. Like I said, I used CamStudio saved as a Microsoft Video 1 AVI. CamStudio apparently has it's own codec, which is lossless, and also included in Super C's codec options. For the output file, I tried FFMPEG and the MEncoder, I tried converting it to an AVI with MPEG 1 through 4 as the video codec, I tried it with DivX, I tried it with CamStudio lossless codec. It all turns out the exact same. The video deteriorates and has a bunch of artifacts. All the video codecs look exactly the same except for DivX or something . I tried to stretch it to 720p resolution and it looks ugly. I tried no change, it still deteriorates. I tried using the highest video bitrate on lossy codecs. It's all the same result. I tried outputting as a MPEG and MP4 files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Without more details, I don't know what you're doing wrong either.
    As it stands, all you're doing is ranting.

No way to help more.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Alright, I'll do some more tests and post about it later on tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sure sounds like you are paid to bash Super.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clayman View Post
    ... I tried to stretch it to 720p resolution and it looks ugly....
    That usually doesn't work out too well. Ok, give us:

Source:
    -Resolution
    -Bitrate
    -Codec (MS video mpeg 1?)

Desired Output. What are you trying to achieve here? Burn to DVD? To BluRay? Stream on the web?
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  10. My test file is
    256x224
    12496kbps
    200 fps
    codec is camsoft using MicroSoft Video 1, highest quality settings

So basically the original video is lossless, and is a desktop recording of a game I'm working on.

I tried outputting some AVI files

first one was in a lossless codec named
    Lagarith
    mp2 audio
    DirectShow decode is enabled

Resolution is the same
    FPS is 60
    Bitrate says 24008kbps

Result: Amplified audio again for no reason, artifacts like videos I saw yesterday. Bleeding colors, weird artifacts and shapes from moving objects.

The file size is twice as big too

Next I use MS-mpeg4-v1 which is the same codec as my input file.

I tried outputting some AVI files

first one was in a lossless codec named
    Lagarith
    mp2 audio
    DirectShow decode is enabled

Resolution is the same
    FPS is 60
    Bitrate was set to 9600

The result is exactly the same, but this time the audio is fine.

I did more tests and get the same results.

Is there any other video converter out there that can resize the resolution, and change the file type without giving the video artifacts like that?
    Quote Quote  
  11. You can't expect good results scaling 256x224 to 1280x720 . It's going to look like garbage no matter what you do

If you can, try playing and recording the game at a higher resolution
    Quote Quote  
  12. There is a special AviSynth filter called PointSize (hq2x(), hq3x(), hz4x()) that can enlarge un-antialiased graphics with smoother lines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art_scaling_algorithms

Original:
    Name:  orig.png
Views: 504
Size:  1.5 KB

PointResize(), AKA nearest neighbor:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	point.png
Views:	195
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	13510

BlinearResize(512,256):

Name:	bilinear.png
Views:	366
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	5291

LanczosResize(512,256):

Name:	Lanczos.png
Views:	370
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	5292

hq4x():

Name:	hq4x.png
Views:	387
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	5293
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Aug 2012 at 22:43.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can't expect good results scaling 256x224 to 1280x720 . It's going to look like garbage no matter what you do

If you can, try playing and recording the game at a higher resolution
    Probably, but that's probably because of how the encoder stretches it. I would at least expect a bilinear blur, but artifacts?

I tried not changing the size and there's still artifacts and pixel blurring.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, artifacts tend to be caused by settings.
    Without full details on those settings, we have absolutely no clue why you saw what you saw.

We're going in circles.

It may also be simple enlargement of existing artifacts.
    As the Big Bad Wolf said -- "The better to see you with, my dear!"
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes, it's impossible to say what, if anything, is going wrong without seeing some samples. Post PNG images of the source and the resulting videos. Or even better, short video samples.
    Quote Quote  
  16. and don't use youtube, because youtube re-encodes - so we couldn't tell if youtube is causing issues, or if super is causing issues or something else
    Quote Quote