VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How much tv do you watch a week?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I watch about 3 hours a week on average.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I watch way too much.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I watch about 4 hrs a week ....television sux now
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    6-7 Hours a week - although some of that is on in the background rather than being actively watched. Time is the big constraint, as I have other things to do. Virtually nothing is watched "live", as the DVR has an ad skip button and that has made TV tolerable again. I record about double what I actually get around to watching - thankfully, storage is cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Zero. I rarely watch TV at all. I actually don't have a TV, just a OTA tuner in my HTPC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Less than 2 hours per week.
    Too many ads, too much garbage,
    the same old bad news of always.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 0 for the last 4 months since my Samsung tuner stopped working

only netflix streaming for the kids now,and 60's and 70's shows for me sanford and son,all in the family,,,, lol
    Quote Quote  
  8. What constitutes "whatching TV"? Only live broadcast TV? Live cable TV? Broadcast/cable recorded on a PVR? A DVD watched on a TV? Netflix watched on a TV? Local video files watched on a TV via HTPC or media player? Video files watched on a PC but originally from broadcast TV? Any type of video watch on any device?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What constitutes "whatching TV"? Only live broadcast TV? Live cable TV? Broadcast/cable recorded on a PVR? A DVD watched on a TV? Netflix watched on a TV? Local video files watched on a TV via HTPC or media player? Video files watched on a PC but originally from broadcast TV? Any type of video watch on any device?

That's the same thing I was wondering.

Also, how do you calculate hours when you have 2 TVs on that are side by side and each has something different on them?

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  10. I voted for more than 25 hours a week, but it might be more accurate to say I have the TV on more than 25 hours a week. Much of the time it's on as background noise while I'm engaged in other activities, so to say I'm "watching" it is a stretch.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Zero...too much crap on in the last few years...normally watch dvd's or I just stare at the ceiling
    Quote Quote  
  12. The TV is on a lot but I don't watch it much. My wife is addicted to Law and Order. I watch about an 90 minutes on Mondays, and an hour on Wednesdays. I DVR Breaking Bad (especially now that they are repeating the series in order!), House, Men of a Certain Age and Fringe and catch up on them at random times during the week.
    Weekends are mostly spent watching things from my Netflix que.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I watch football durring football season, House MD (my pc usually has to record it for me), and Wipeout (My PC usually has to record it as well). Other than that my TV isn't on all that often unless it's to watch a blu_ray/dvd/vhs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    >25 hours. 70% live sports, hockey, soccer, cross country, biathlon, alpine skiing and right now handball world championship. It's often on as background noise while I work.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    >25 hours. 70% live sport, hockey, soccer, cross country, biathlon, alpine skiing and right now handball world championship. It's often on as background noise while I work.
    Ah, so nothing but Reality TV for you then, Baldrick.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, REAL reality TV.

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    25 - 30 hours. Mostly PBS and CSPAN with some MSNBC and CNN. Fox News, for laughs and entertainment, on occasion.
    Quote Quote  
  18. TV as broadcast - less than five hours a week. Downloaded stuff and discs, rather more.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Watching tv in the UK is more bearable unlike the usa where adverts dominate the programmes and general viewing far more.

Far too many channels in the uk but less than the usa.

I watch about 15 - 20 hours a week for news and mainly selective entertainment, most tv being of poor quality or require getting the public to spent money voting.

Most news creates one question...... far too much news and do we really need to know so much about things we have no control over... to much on location reports when a few lines of speech would do in the studio.

Constant violence in news reports fed to our children not a good thing or of interest to me and increasing every year on tv news. Depending on how old you are can reflect on how important tv is to you.

The tv news and the internet at least saves buying newspapers as they are history when bought with most news already known by many.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Most of what I watch comes from the UK.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I miss benny hill and Are You Being Served?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    About 10 years ago when beginning Graduate School, and working fulltime, some things HAD to be cut. The first thing was obvious - TV.

But I never really got back into it afterwards since. Much of the reason was that "reality TV" started to take over many of the slots at that time - and honestly, this content is so unappealing to me. As well, there's too much ego and fluff today, and little substance, worse than ever, that turns me off. Really, nothing since has piqued my interest to be won back.

I even get all my news, and documentaries, online now (YouTube/Yahoo/etc).

Yes I play music videos in the background (from stations that still may play them) and will sit down for a big game once in a while, but other than those I sincerely watch zero TV today.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the tv on a lot - Just to vote I said 10-25 or something like that. But I mostly dvr stuff. Plus I game about every other day about an hour or so a session. So the tv is on but on a live channel? Hardly ever except for news occasionally (local) and sports. Other than that I don't really watch tv in the traditional sense.

Plus like others mentioned dvds/bluray takes up another chunk there too.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So far, more than 33% of the people who answered this pool don't watch TV more than 5 hours a week, right?

Quite some difference if this pool was posted (by mail?) before the internet. Things change.

Here in Brazil, open channels definitely don't offer good programs (the exceptions are *really* rare). I, myself, didn't buy a TV when I moved. I don't miss it.

IMHO, internet is the future. =)
    Last edited by mauriciocamara; 29th Jan 2011 at 14:40. Reason: Mistaken information.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I often watch over 20 hours of TV a week, and it is mostly local broadcast stations.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Live TV?
    Maybe an hour at most.
    20min/hour of commercials is too much wasted time. No thanks.

Recorded TV?
    Some weeks it's <1, others it's >7, as it depends on what's new.
    No new episodes, no TV for me.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TV watching really depends on your own situation, what you do or how old you are or wether you maybe unwell.

To the elderly it can be a comfort to past the time, to others its news information or sports events. You can`t really judge someones attitued to the amount of tv watched, but like everything some do things to excess...tv couch potatoes we call them in the UK.

TV is no longer just a box to watch programmes, it`s now a fully media and internet viewer, all built in or by attached devices.

There are far too many channels in my opinion, I never watch half of them in the UK, but freedom of choice means others may watch the other half that I don`t.

One thing is for sure, without a screen or monitor in our homes life would be a lot different, and it ihas been a way of life for many years that will not be reversed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 16mmJunkie View Post
    I watch about 4 hrs a week ....television sux now
    Really ... what is wrong with your television ??

Have you seen the HDTVs at the stores lately ... lots of great TV shows ... too choose from to watch on them ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Live TV?
    Maybe an hour at most.
    20min/hour of commercials is too much wasted time. No thanks.

Recorded TV?
    Some weeks it's <1, others it's >7, as it depends on what's new.
    No new episodes, no TV for me.
    Well Smurf ... plenty of people here to quote off ... I saw yours and decided to quote you.

My wife and I ... definitely have something in common .... we love watching TV. But I like shows that are filled with action scenes. Typical guy shows. And my wife gets upset if something goes wrong and ... Young and the Restless ... dont get recorded.

Last year spring ... all our shows were now in the reruns ... OMG ... what do we do ? Well we found out USA Channel ... had a whole slew of stuff to keep us busy ... but she definitely didn't like ... Burn Notice ... on USA. Ha ha ... lots of stuff gets shot ... burned ... and exploded on that show ... and one of my favorite B Flick actors is on there ... Bruce Campbell ... he was the original actor on the ... Evil Dead movies ... and he has made a appearance on every ... Big Screen ... SpiderMan movie that has played at the theaters.

If the economy was not hitting our family so hard ... we probably would see less than 21 hours of shows a week but it is the only entertainment at the moment we can afford to engage in.

And my wife is a History Buff ... she watches all the History channel stuff ... and she spends a huge time watching Fox News and all the different journalists \ commentators on there ... especially ... Bill O'Reilly ... she really likes him.

In the last 2 weeks ... we started watching ... Merlin ... which has moved to the SY FY channel. My wife just last night ... explained to me ... all the folklore about ... King Arthur. I thought he actually did exist back in those days ... but nope he did not ... but ... she did explain to me ... that certain events that took place back in that time period ... could be where the storys of King Arther ... Camelot ... Merlin ... Sir Lancelot ... could have all come from.

My wife was a Librarian ... before she retired.
    Last edited by lacywest; 8th Oct 2012 at 05:02. Reason: Typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Most of what I watch comes from the UK.
    So ... are you a Doctor Who ... fan ?? ... I miss ... David Tennant ... the new Doctor Who ... will take some getting use too.

Do you watch ... Primeval .... ?

Did you watch ... Torchwood ... ?

I think I heard ... Torchwood is coming back.

http://torchwoodtv.blogspot.com/
    Saturday, August 07, 2010
    Torchwood: The New World

This morning, Russel T. Davies and Julie Gardener shared some information about the upcoming series of Torchwood. "Torchwood: The New World" is slated to premiere on the Starz network in the summer of 2011. That new world branches out from Cardiff and into Washington DC and Los Angeles. Davies confirmed that Eve Myles, John Barrowman, and Kai Owen will be returning for the new season. No word as of yet about Gwen's baby or the nature of Jack's return.

Gardner did say that this series would be a reboot ("Children of Earth" was often called a "relaunch" by the production team) in order to welcome new audiences. She didn't expand on what reboot would mean for any returning viewers. It was also mentioned that the 10-episode season would be similar to the "Children of Earth" mini series format. Each episode is supposed to crammed full of action and story and all the episodes are very tightly knit together.

Spoiler TV reports: "The new story will follow a CIA agent (Rex) and analyst (Ester) who tackle an alien-related global issue. Torchwood, having been destroyed and disbanded, is "like a legend now ... it's like something that's ceased to exist and is now spoken of only in whispers." Soon, Rex and Ester are on the run and are seeking out the help of Captain Jack and Gwen."

( Read more: http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/08/torchwood-official-season-4-title.html#ixzz0vxC1Im5H )

Just a few days before this press release, it was announced that John Shiban (X-Files, Supernatural), Jane Espenson (Buffy, Warehouse 13, Caprica), John Fay (Torchwood: Children of Earth days 2, 4) and Doris Egan (Tru Calling, House) would be on the Torchwood writing team. Whatever your feelings about Torchwood may be, there is no denying that this is an impressive line up of writers working on the upcoming season.

Fans have felt very passionate about the future of Torchwood. People have stated many opinions on whether they wanted to stand by the series or not. So, readers, what do you think of this new season so far? Has anyone been swayed by the promise of such a fantastic writing team? Do you prefer the original tone and format over the fast-paced mini-series?

Posted by Salina at 9:18 PM 29 comments

Labels: Julie Gardner, Russell T. Davies, Starz, Torchwood: The New World

Did you watch ... Survivors ............. My wife and I ... enjoyed that show ... I guess it was too expensive ... too many actors on payroll. The mother never did hook up with her son !!
    Last edited by lacywest; 30th Jan 2011 at 10:13.
    Quote Quote