VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello newbie here,
    wondering if anyone might be able to help w/how to remove drm from wmv vid?
    thanks,

B
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe. If you can play it, then you likely have the license and there are some programs that may be able to bypass or remove the DRM. If you can't play it, then you don't have the license and I don't know of a way to decrypt it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey Alfresco,
    thanks for the reply, I can play the file so I guess that means I have the license. Which programs would maybe remove the drm? I'm wanting to burn the file to dvd via Toast.
    thanks again

B
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Might have to have the full Flip4Mac codec (not the one that Microsoft makes available as a free download) and then open the file in something like MPEG Streamclip to export as something QuickTime-friendly (maybe AIC - Apple Intermediate Codec - to minimize any loss via the conversion). Then drop that into Toast.

Alternatively, It might be possible to export it through VLC (again, into something that Toast would be happy with).

There are also some DRM-removal apps intended for TV shows you DL'd from the iTunes Store but these usually expect the source file to be MP4/H264. If you manage to convert your WMV into an MP4, you're already past the point where you need this software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks rumplestiltskin,
    I have flip4mac, but how would I find out if I have or go about getting the full codec?
    thanks again,

B
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With the free Flip4Mac codec, exporting isn't possible (although I think I've seen some exports through VLC work). To get the full export capabilities through QuickTime (for WMV), go here: http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm and buy the $29 "player pro" package.

If you attempt to export the WMV through QuickTime Player Pro (or MPEG Streamclip or other conversion utility), the free Flip4Mac codec will complain and put a large watermark in the frame.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the full paid for Flip4Mac WMVStudio Version that allows exports of WMV files to other file containers.
    But it will not do DRM'd WMV files.
    Telestream has explained why here:
    http://forum.telestream.net/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=9&threadid=33&highlight_key=y&keyword1=drm

But there is a way to get around it.
    If you can play it ( I'm assuming through Parallels and WMV Player on your intel mac?)
    if so, while it plays in Parallels, you can capture it using iShowU, ScreenCast, or any type of
    Screen Capturing application, to a DV Stream file that can be accepted by Toast, DVD Studio Pro, iDVD, etc....
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote