VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought this mobo off of Craigslist for $50 and the seller said there nothing is wrong with it. I bought it because I had the features I was looking for that my Acer Aspire X3200 did not have. Anyways, here is my problem and would appreciate anyone's assistance in troubleshooting my issue.

Mobo: ECS GF8200A (V1.0)
    PSU: FSP Group ATX350 (120mm fan)
    CPU: AMD Phenom X3 8400 (AM2+ socket) (Came directly off Acer Aspire X3200)
    RAM: G.Skill DDR2 800mhz F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B (2 x 2GB)
    VGA output: Samsung 914v
    Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard
    1 x Sata WD 500GB Cavier Blue Hard drive

That is how the system is setup with all power (and SATA) and connection cables securely plugged in. Jumper settings are at "normal" setting. I switch power ON and press the "power Bot" button on the mobo and everything powers up (except for the keyboard's light doesn't go on) but all I hear is the CPU fan running very fast and loud, as opposed to very quiet and slow on the Acer Aspire X3200's mobo. That's it. No beeps. No video signal.

I tried clearing the CMOS, removing the battery and putting back in and setting CMOS to normal and powering back on. I tried different RAM slots, each single stick at a time. I have not actually tested the mobo for defectiveness but the CPU RAM and PSU and keyboard work fine on a different PC. How would I do a quick test to be sure the mobo isn't 'bad?'

On the other hand, I'm thinking perhaps the CPU is proprietary and is not compatible with other mobos. This would be awful. Maybe I have incorrect configurations. Or the mobo is probably a 'bad lemon.' I don't know. So maybe you experts know.

Am I missing any trouble shooting steps here?

If there is way to fix this please help me because I am willing to work this out.
    Last edited by Stealth3si; 19th Jan 2011 at 05:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does that board support the Phenom X3? From the egg: CPU Type: Phenom II / Phenom / Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 / SempronI suspect it does not - which may be the problem

ECS support page: http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=873&CategoryID=1...uID=20&LanID=9

When I wanted to upgrade my Dell: I located the processor, motherboard and carefully matched them - and upgraded the power supply due to changing the processor. I did not have to upgrade the fan, as the processor (nearly twice as fast) did not draw much more in watts than the OEM.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use the usual diagnostic technique. Unplug all periperals, power and data cables (leaving just the motherboard, CPU, memory, and monitor). Does it POST? If so, plug in the keyboard. Does it POST now? If so, plugin the hard drive (power and data cables). Does it POST? etc. That will help you isolate where the problem is.

The Phenom II X3 CPU is socket AM2+ so it should work in that motherboard.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Jan 2011 at 07:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Phenom II X3 8400 may fit the socket, but the support page (the link that I posted for the mobo, specifically CPU support) did not have that processor anywhere on it.

The OP MAY have to update the BIOS to enable the CPU (or to set the clock speed).

I would rather make certain of the CPU support than try to get a refund from a craigslister.

I hope one of the other forums that you posted on can come up with an answer - one guy did suggest checking the video.

If the board has onboard video, that could be an issue. The lack of POST behavior does not look promising.

I've had boards that were bad display the same behavior - I've had mobos with bad CPUs that POSTed.

Connect a motherboard card (I have a Soyo from years back) and see if the thing posts.

If it has enough power, something should go.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by classfour View Post
    The OP MAY have to update the BIOS to enable the CPU (or to set the clock speed).
    I agree that a BIOS update might be necessary. Which leaves the OP in a catch-22 situation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is your CPU:

Socket AM2+AMD Phenom Triple-Core8400 (B2) (95W)2100MHz3600512KB x3YES
    Then it is supported.

I could not find any mention of the "Phenom X3" on the ECS website - Plenty of Athlon II X3's.

If a BIOS update doesn't work (likely won't if you can't get it to boot) you may have bought a DOA board.
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is what you must *NOT* do:

Find out a compatible CPU on (E-tailer). Purchase it. Install it. See if the mobo posts ... if so, all is good.

If however the Mobo fails to post, then you there is a problem with the mobo. Try and get a refund. Send the CPU back to the shop for a refund also ... or just keep it and buy the same mobo new.

That is what you must NOT do.

Everyone on craigslist is completely honest, so I cant understand how your problem has come about?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That CPU should be compatible with that MB with no problems. They're not that old. The RAM is a bit slow for it, but should work anyway. There are only two BIOS updates and neither apply to your problem.

If all else fails, I would pull the MB out of the case and try it bare on the workbench with just the PS plugged in. You can short across the front panel MB power on pins with a wire or screwdriver and turn it on. Sometimes mounting a MB in the case causes problems. If this also fails, I would say the MB is dead. There's no real easy way to test a MB except by substituting parts, the PS first, then the CPU, RAM.

A long shot, but check with ECS for a exchange. It may still be under warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In regards to the CPU issue, I've taken a snapshot of CPU-Z. It's not a Phenom II.

Is it compatible for sure?

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Use the usual diagnostic technique. Unplug all periperals, power and data cables (leaving just the motherboard, CPU, memory, and monitor).
    Do I plug the PSU cables?

Originally Posted by classfour View Post
    I hope one of the other forums that you posted on can come up with an answer - one guy did suggest checking the video.
    I will do that.

Originally Posted by classfour View Post
    Connect a motherboard card (I have a Soyo from years back) and see if the thing posts.

If it has enough power, something should go.
    I don't have one nor know what it is.

Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    If all else fails, I would pull the MB out of the case and try it bare on the workbench with just the PS plugged in. You can short across the front panel MB power on pins with a wire or screwdriver and turn it on. Sometimes mounting a MB in the case causes problems. If this also fails, I would say the MB is dead. There's no real easy way to test a MB except by substituting parts, the PS first, then the CPU, RAM.

A long shot, but check with ECS for a exchange. It may still be under warranty.
    I'll try the bare workbench first.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Use the usual diagnostic technique. Unplug all periperals, power and data cables (leaving just the motherboard, CPU, memory, and monitor).
    Do I plug the PSU cables?
    Only to the motherboard. Not any of the peripherals. The idea is to remove as many possible causes of problems but still be able to POST. And yes, removing the motherboard from the case is a good idea. That will eliminate the possibility that the motherboard is shorted to a standoff or something else.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can short across the front panel MB power on pins with a wire or screwdriver and turn it on
    And make DAMN sure you jump the correct two pins as i once saw a so called "trained tech" (IE: Stupid Kid) at a PC store fry a mobo in less than 1 second by touching the two wrong pins trying to start up a mobo to see if a CPU was good or not.

Tried to jump start it with a screwdriver and SNAP with a poof of smoke!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After doing Jagabo's suggestion, I don't see a POST.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All the pins on the front panel connectors are buffered/current limited, AFAIK. That's why the indicator LEDs don't need dropping resistors. I've never heard of shorting any of them to ground damaging a MB. I've plugged a power switch into the LED pins before by accident and no damage.

BTW, in my experience, a permanently shorted power switch will also not allow a PC to boot. It needs to be a momentary switch.

HOWEVER, there are pins near the front panel connector that may damage the MB if shorted, the USB and 1394A connectors that carry 5VDC for a couple. The MB or the PS may protect against damage on some setups, but not something to find out the hard way.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, i saw it happen with my own eyes, stood right there and watched this kid take out a brand new mobo, put in a cpu, hooked up the PSU, took a small screwdriver and as soon as he put it into the cluster of pins it went POP with a puff of smoke.

He then say's, yep, the CPU is bad & i said well if it wasn't, it probably is now

But the CPU ended up being fine because i used it for at least 3 years after it happened.

It was back before dual core cpu's, it was a athlon 2ghz but i don't know what mobo it was.

Most of the time i use a switch when bench testing a mobo or have been very careful to make sure i hit the correct pins & i have never tried to short one out on purpose to test it, i just know what i saw happen

Do you want to test it out on your 6 core
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All the pins on the front panel connectors are buffered/current limited, AFAIK. That's why the indicator LEDs don't need dropping resistors. I've never heard of shorting any of them to ground damaging a MB. I've plugged a power switch into the LED pins before by accident and no damage.

BTW, in my experience, a permanently shorted power switch will also not allow a PC to boot. It needs to be a momentary switch.

HOWEVER, there are pins near the front panel connector that may damage the MB if shorted, the USB and 1394A connectors that carry 5VDC for a couple. The MB or the PS may protect against damage on some setups, but not something to find out the hard way.
    I see.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Well, i saw it happen with my own eyes, stood right there and watched this kid take out a brand new mobo, put in a cpu, hooked up the PSU, took a small screwdriver and as soon as he put it into the cluster of pins it went POP with a puff of smoke.

He then say's, yep, the CPU is bad & i said well if it wasn't, it probably is now

But the CPU ended up being fine because i used it for at least 3 years after it happened.

It was back before dual core cpu's, it was a athlon 2ghz but i don't know what mobo it was.

Most of the time i use a switch when bench testing a mobo or have been very careful to make sure i hit the correct pins & i have never tried to short one out on purpose to test it, i just know what i saw happen

Do you want to test it out on your 6 core
    For someone to witness that and take the CPU is beyond me.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post

Actually if the power switch is shorted or stuck the computer will start to POST then turn off and back on continually.

Most desktop computers you can force a shutoff by holding the power button for 5 seconds.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tiger direct had a compatible board for that processor for $35 when I was googling it last night. I'd see if ECS would RMA the thing.

I've had a couple of bad ECS boards, won't go looking for them on purpose for myself - many love them and overclock them.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post
    For someone to witness that and take the CPU is beyond me.
    It was my CPU, i brought it there because i only had 1 mobo at the time that took that specific socket CPU and i was not sure which part was dead, i took the CPU down the road to another shop and they fired it right up so i ended up buying a new mobo from them.

But that was the last time i ever took anything to a shop to have checked.

And as others have stated about systems shutting down before they overheat too much and do any CPU damage, well that's not always the case as i have a nice CPU that worked perfectly until it turned nice and black and started flaking because i fired it up and forgot to plug in the fan on the CPU heatsink and it toasted in about 30 seconds

Just because something is NOT supposed to happen, does not mean it won't or can't happen
    Quote Quote