VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    consult your PBS guide.

Narrated by Leonard Nimoy
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Jan 2011 at 22:20.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dvr'd it last night. Haven't watched it yet.

On a side note I saw the Starz special on ILM that was out last year. I don't have starz but Comcast put it for free on their on demand section on my dvr. Really good and up to date as of 2010 - included Iron Man 2 and the newest Star Trek movie.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I caught Pioneers of Television last night...excellent new series by PBS as usual
    next up are cowboys including one who became president
    which reminds me of Wanted: Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen
    Last edited by zoobie; 19th Jan 2011 at 17:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What they failed to mention was the NBC third season Fri 10PM slot was directly against ABC/ITV's "The Avengers". For me Star Trek had to wait for the summer reruns.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It also glossed over the whole first pilot issue and how it was too brainy for network tv at the time. Thats why the settled for a more cowboy version with Shatner. I watched it this evening. Not too bad overall though.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Strange timing. I just watched the Jeffrey Hunter "The Cage" pilot (and extended version) off the Star Trek Season 3 #7 DVD last week. Nimoy's Spock was undeveloped in that episode. I think Nimoy carried the the series despite Shatner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @eddv - two notes on the first pilot I'm not sure a vast majority of people know about (ie those who never saw it). Majel Barret actually played the first officer (a woman and in the 60's that was pretty impressive - obviously didn't make it to the final version that aired). Also the first officer was called "NUMBER ONE" Sound familiar Jean-Luc???

Plus correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they use the word ENGAGE in the first pilot for doing the warp speed thing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not recall ever seeing either of the pilots.

Are you sure Leonard Nemoy was narrating it? I thought Sideshow Bob was.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    when is the next broadcast ?

my subscription is directv, their family pack, but i'm pretty sure i have PBS on there somewhere, i just don't know what channel(s) it is on. the other day, I did see NOVA, i think it was WLIW21 or 13, i forget.

anyway. i grew up on startrek. course, we were very poor and only had b/w tv. nimoy always had a good documentary voice.

-vhelp 5468
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    when is the next broadcast ?

my subscription is directv, their family pack, but i'm pretty sure i have PBS on there somewhere, i just don't know what channel(s) it is on. the other day, I did see NOVA, i think it was WLIW21 or 13, i forget.

anyway. i grew up on startrek. course, we were very poor and only had b/w tv. nimoy always had a good documentary voice.

-vhelp 5468
    You need to search the local listings.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Majel Barret actually played the first officer (a woman and in the 60's that was pretty impressive - obviously didn't make it to the final version that aired).
    The story goes that Roddenberry was given the choice, "lose the girl or the alien", so he kept the alien and married the girl.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy View Post
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Majel Barret actually played the first officer (a woman and in the 60's that was pretty impressive - obviously didn't make it to the final version that aired).
    The story goes that Roddenberry was given the choice, "lose the girl or the alien", so he kept the alien and married the girl.
    Cute. I didn't hear that. Makes sense

@zzyzzx - yeah the narrator didnt' sound like NImoy to me either. Wasn't Kelsey Grammer sideshow bob? I didn't catch the credits on the show so I don't know for sure.

@zzyzzx - you should be able to buy the pilots on itunes and/or amazon. I know the star trek shows are on itunes. I am just not sure about BOTH pilots.

You might also check out startrek.com. You can stream nearly all of the original episodes for free - at least you could in the fall. I don't know if either pilot is available. Give it a go. Worth it if you have some time to kill.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @zzyzzx - yeah the narrator didnt' sound like NImoy to me either. Wasn't Kelsey Grammer sideshow bob?
    I think so.

@zzyzzx - you should be able to buy the pilots on itunes and/or amazon. I know the star trek shows are on itunes. I am just not sure about BOTH pilots.

You might also check out startrek.com. You can stream nearly all of the original episodes for free - at least you could in the fall. I don't know if either pilot is available. Give it a go. Worth it if you have some time to kill.
    No obligatory check Youtube comment?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
    @zzyzzx - yeah the narrator didnt' sound like NImoy to me either. Wasn't Kelsey Grammer sideshow bob?
    I think so.
    I was only 5 min in when I posted the first comment. Later it didn't sound like Nimoy.

Credits say Kelsey Grammer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zzyzzxx
    No obligatory check Youtube comment?
    Youtube? Is that a website? I think I've heard people mention something called google a lot too... I have no idea what those are....

Sorry had to make a wisecrack.

@eddv - thanks for confirming the narrator.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lets face iit.. when it comes to tos, there are many favorites.

but i did watch the full ep of "the man trap" that eddv posted--without problems.. decent quality for online stream video. i'd definately revisit again for more episodes. i was able to d/l that ep no problem. having faster internet now opens doors for me. thanks everyone.

shore leave will be my next visit.. ah, that finnegan.. was and still is my favorite tos ep.

http://www.startrek.com/database_article/shore-leave

-vhelp 5472
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "The Balance of Terror". This episode would like to give a shot out to all the rest of the TOS episodes that wish they were as good as this one.
    There are no problems - only chances to excel.
    -- Unknown
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by M Bruner View Post
    "The Balance of Terror". This episode would like to give a shot out to all the rest of the TOS episodes that wish they were as good as this one.
    I think this helped give Mark Leonard the edge in playing the most aliens in Star Trek TOS + TOS movies- except for maybe the guy who played BRUNT the Ferengi on DS9 (he played just about every ds9 alien it seems and at least one on Enterprise - very good actor just maybe overused a tad).

At least as far as the tos gang I think Mark Leonard had the record with a Romulan in this episode, a vulcan and a klingon in the original motion picture (during the opening battle between the klingons and vger).
    Quote Quote