VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Since it's obvious that you all know your "stuff" very well, I'd like some advice. Can you fill me in on which of the apps in this post are obsolete or just not "worth it"?

Brace yourself... long-winded post:

AutoGK - I really like this one, so I hope it's not looked down upon too badly.

AviSynth - I'm just starting to learn how to use this and really like it as well.

BeSweet - I have a feeling this might be looked down on at least a bit, but it's the only app I've tried that properly encodes 5.1 AC-3s... and believe me, I've tried a plethora of them.

BSMUXWIZ - This is the only tool that creates MUX files that when fed into BeSweet will properly encode 5.1 AC-3s. It's definitely not anything to write home about, but it's all that works, at the moment.

DGIndex - I don't know what your thoughts on this one might be.

DVD Shrink - Used often and I like it.

DVDFab - Love it.

DVD-lab Pro - Despite not being good at using it, I like it.

DVD2AVI - I haven't used this in ages and apparently don't need to...?

FixVTS - Thoughts?

FreeDVD - Thoughts?

IfoEdit - Used to add some details that are occasionally left out of indie DVDs.

Neat Video - Another one I really like and use from time to time.

SmartRipper - Occasional use.

TMPGEnc - Doesn't look outdated, but looks can be deceiving...?

VirtualDub - Used all the time.

VirtualDubMod - Used in conjunction with VirtualDub.

VLC - I'd like this better if it would properly output 5.1 mixes. For some reason it only lets me choose Mono or Stereo. Other than that, I don't know why one would pay for DVD-playing software...?

Thanks in advance,

Justin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If a tool does the job you want, the way you want it done, and with satisfactory results, who cares how old or 'outdated' some may consider it to be?

I still use a large number of the tools you mention. (Most, because I don't deal as much with DVD authoring.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Of the programs on your list I use AviSynth, DgIndex, DVD Fab, VirtualDub, and VLC pretty much every day. Occasionally VirtualDubmod, Neat Video, and TMPGEnc Plus (mostly just the muxing/demuxing tools).

Other tools I use quite ofter are Mpg2Cut2, ImgBurn, MkvToolNix, Yamb, HcEnc, Bitrate Viewer, Audacity, MediaInfo, GSpot, GraphEdit, GraphStudio, MPCHC, ffdshow, xvid codec, HuffyYUV, Lagarith, Lame. Occasionally AviDemux, TsMuxer, h264TsCutter, KMplayer, AviFRate, DVD Decrypter, Subtitle Workshop, and Xvid4PSP.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Out of all of those I use DVDShrink the most, second would be IfoEdit. VLC is now my favorite software player.
    As for SmartRipper that one is definately obsolete.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say dvd2avi is obsolete with dgindex taken its place.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i don't realy like vlc media player kinda jerky
    i prefer zoom player or media player classic
    Quote Quote  
  7. i guess, tools never get obsolete, if purpose is fully served.
    just kidding....to have a smile on face......

following bugger gave me ride and made it possible, while i was rushing to catch a flight and got stuck in a traffic jam near Leicester Square.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0002708460577_500X500.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	5174
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    If a tool does the job you want, the way you want it done, and with satisfactory results, who cares how old or 'outdated' some may consider it to be?
    That's my take on it, but I've been condescended to in the past for using some of these tools. Which is why I'm asking for your opinions
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Other tools I use quite ofter are MediaInfo, GSpot, xvid codec, HuffyYUV and Subtitle Workshop.
    Yeah, I was going to list those too, but I figured the list was already getting far too long. I prefer XviD to DivX, by far. However, I wasn't going to mention that, as it may start a war over which is "better". I also prefer Huffy to Lagarith. MediaInfo and GSpot are great for, well, the purposes of those apps. Sometimes I'll use the Subtitle Workshop when I see that the subtitles provided in a DVD are basically incorrect or important pieces of dialogue/actions are missing completely.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Out of all of those I use DVDShrink the most, second would be IfoEdit. VLC is now my favorite software player.
    As for SmartRipper that one is definately obsolete.
    Darn. I'll still use SmartRipper occasionally. Though, what I (obviously) despise is when it crashes
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pinstripes23 View Post
    I'd say dvd2avi is obsolete with dgindex taken its place.
    Yeah, I can't recall the last time I actually used dvd2avi. This tells me that I must've become used to using other tools that surpass it
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    i don't realy like vlc media player kinda jerky
    i prefer zoom player or media player classic
    Yep. VLC can be a bit buggy too. I still prefer to use my WinDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You know the saying... "If it ain't broke..."

but I've been condescended to in the past for using some of these tools
    did they give you a reason? e.g. don't use this because.... or this tool is better because... x,y,z

(I'm hoping I wasn't the "condescender")

DVD Shrink on your list can be problematic (doesn' t work on newer movies & copy protections)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 15th Jan 2011 at 12:25.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

DVD Shrink on your list can be problematic (doesn' t work on newer movies & copy protections)
    True but's it still useful for combining discs and removing unwanted material, also when I don't feel like using a DL.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You know the saying... "If it ain't broke..."

but I've been condescended to in the past for using some of these tools
    did they give you a reason? e.g. don't use this because.... or this tool is better because... x,y,z

(I'm hoping I wasn't the "condescender")

Nope. They pretty much just said it's old, but didn't provide any reason not to use it anymore, nor did they recommend a newer utility... and no, you weren't the one condescending
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

Well, luckily I've yet to run across a DVD that didn't work with DVD Shrink.
    Quote Quote