VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi, I need some advice with avs2dvd, before was my first run with my new comp ( win7 corei7) and quenc converted a 1 and a half hour movie in 20mins audio encoding took 2mins all that ran pretty low cp usage but quite fast then muxibng took 10mins and was only using 4% cpu though ram was going crazy with 100% being used and 0 free now this is a new computer and there's 4gb ram installed. Does this mean I shoulkd upgrade my ram to 6 or 8gb?, the manual says it capable also I had IDM and firefox/ Internet security updating/which didn't do my when I closed them also is it normal to have two ffdshow vid/audio open in taskbar and 4 haali splitter open when only 1 of each installed?.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Taking your questions in reverse order

1. Yes, it is OK to have multiple instances of FFDShow and haali running in the tray. For example, you may have one each for audio and video. It is also not unknown the for the tray icons to not clear immediately when the process stops, but running the mouse over them will kill off the ones that aren't supposed to be there.

2. 100% ram usage does seem excessive, which would suggest that adding more would probably not solve the problem, but simply feed the beast. It is not unusual for encoding processes to try and use all available CPU and as much ram as it can, if available, but it should return these once it is finished. Perhaps the muxing engine uses all the ram it can so that most of the work happens in memory, then gets written to disk.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ty gunslinger for the ffd info I gues that's just how it is, thoguht i'm still having problems with my ram over use by not avstodvd but dgpulldown muxman when avstodvd runs them muxman's fine by itself here's a screenshot of ram using dgpulldown (taskmanager by itself) and here's a SS of quenc and what resources it uses:

see dgpulldown eats all the ram 0free and as a matter of fact my third movie failed after quenc finished maybe cause it was batched and ram is overloaded?? so I'll do it by itself still think it's normal?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	5137  

Quote Quote  
  4. Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	5139
    normal ram using quenc^^^^^^
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would be interested to see the process list, sorted by ram usage, while this is happening
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. sure,i'll have to restart the conversion process and take a couple of screenshots if you want the processes while avstodvd is working, just so you no wavi do it too and it stops on 99% and says error then windows popsup and says want to close or continue so I con tinue and it authors and plays fine no avstodvd errors.(muxmans just finalised in this process cpu monitor and in prcesses everything related is closed so just normal standby environment) It's all fine normally even in quenc or hcencoder mode but when audio dgpulldown/authoring i eats alot of memory.

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	5158  

Click image for larger version

Views:	844
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	5159  

Last edited by dylz; 14th Jan 2011 at 04:31.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The before images are when it was encoding the audio, now this is when muxman is authoring it has 0 free memory so everything sorter freezes and I also have the process list while muxing.

Views:	342
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	5171  

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	5172  

Quote Quote  
  8. and this is when everything is idle nothing except the usual is running, also when my computers idle it has 2300 meemory free, so far dgpulldown wavi and muxman eat the memory but not when i'm encoding. do I need a ram upgrade from 4gb to 6 or 8 as it's cheap and everything else is running fine. ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you tick show processes from all users, and sort the processes by ram usage so the highest is at the top (click on memory) at the top of the column to re-sort. If you still don't see a process hogging the ram then is it mostly likely something that has a memory leak so the system doesn't see the usage, it just knows it's gone. Again, upgrading your ram won't help, as the leaking process will just use that as well. You could look at a better system information tool to try to find it, or you could report it to the author to AVStoDVD to see if the same issue has been reported elsewhere. Just drop a post at the end of this thread and he will see it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You see i'm rather new to win7 and I have basicly default settings and it's fast with i7core, so I feel everything runs fine just when avs 2dvd is running it's all the bundled software that is hogging or caching the ram. the only processes running by all users are kaspersky processes and it's running as you see, also I think my computer reserves alot of memory that's why the ram isn't maxed out only 33% usage and there's 0 free I might get some tech help if no-one can help. also i'll read a few forums for an answer. thanks guns1inger.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Everything looks pretty normal except for the odd memory usage during the muxing phase. This is why I suspect that muxman, or something else running during that phase, has a problem with leaking memory. There is nothing you can do about it, as it is a programming issue, not your machine. And it appears that the memory is released once the process completes, so it isn't causing any long term issues either.

Windows 7 will certainly use a good chunk of memory if available, but it is pretty good at using only what it needs when things get heavy. My machine is an older machine with only 2GB, and at boot up it uses around 860 MB, with around 1GB gone after a few hours of browsing and general use.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I just tried to add a ifo and vob with avstodvd and dgindexing it and my "free"ram went from 1000 to 600, 400, 100, 80, 40, 0 so I had to exit before it freezed and I did just check show all processes and got rid of ninemsn bar using 50mb then I found this which changes and seems to be windows???

Views:	834
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	5175  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    svhost, or service host, is a standard windows process used by services and other processes. Yours all seem pretty standard to me.

Again, you have to have your process list open and sorted by memory use (you still have not yet posted a listed sorted correctly) to see what is actually going on when the memory is being used.

I would also suggest using Revo Uninstaller to remove AVStoDVD, rebooting, and installing it a afresh.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It seems to me wavi is maybe the cause because I reinstalled avstodvd and hc enc did the video then wavi started audio and it didn't say 1percent or anything then win7 says "the programs has stopped what would you like to do" so I X'd it then muxman started so I stopped that thinking it failed but in the working folder there was a 3.9gb video, 380mb audio, chapters so It looks like it was gonna mux and all i should do is ignore the wavi messages/ let it mux? also this time the free memory went slowly to 0 but cached it as available like in case it needs it it's there and no programs freezed and I noticed the free ram doesn't really come back, it stays ävailable. What's your thoughts?

Views:	301
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	5180  

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	5181  

Name:	Capture5.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	5183  

Name:	Capture6.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	5184  

Name:	Capture7.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	5185  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have PM's the author of AVStoDVD and asked him to have a look at this thread. Hopefully he can offer you an answer.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. No other users reports about this issue.

Just to make some order. Looking at first attempt images:

- During QuEnc encoding: 2924/4055 MB available memory
    - During MuxMan authoring: 2743/4055 MB available memory
    - During DGPulldown step: 344/4055 MB available memory

It seems that DGPulldown is eating almost all your memory. Frankly speaking I have never checked if DGPulldown is so hungry, it calls so many I/O instructions that I usually leave it to complete that heavy process without trying to do anything else. From your side, did the first project ended successfully, even if it locked your PC for a while?

Second project is another matter. You faced some troubles in audio encoding step and we have to investigate why.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  17. MrC thaks for your reply but I think I already fixed the first problem as I uninstalled/reinstalled avstodvd and instead of making my comp freeze it just cached or reserved most memory which I could still play games (just tried to see if it works. So the only problem I have now is wavi closes without telling me what went wrong but they muxing continues after I close wavi and the final result seems fine this just has never happend before on my xp and it doesn't seem right... here's what wavi does usually at 97-99%

Views:	336
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	5207  

Quote Quote  
  18. 1. Install Windows7 Preferred Filter Tweaker and verify if ffdshow is selected as default audio decoder.

2. Drop Wavi+Aften and try with FFmpeg+Aften or QuEnc

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  19. DGpulldown uses 99% of 4gb memeory now not just reserves it which is not so much annoying sice you leave the computer anyways.
    Wavi still crashes which makes batch processes or leaving the computer useless.

This is a screeny of dgpulldown maxing the ram and freezeing a few things/muxman, wavi ran on about 20% mem 10% cpu

Gonna Try ffmpeg+aften now yes ffshow is enabled.

Views:	341
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	5226  

Quote Quote  
  20. ffmpeg+aften works fine no errors, just to clear it up wavi errors were errors which didn't have an effect on the output just annoying,
    Dgpulldown still takes to much memory but get's the job done do you think I need to upgrade to 6 ot 8gb and how does the process go for you on your ram chips ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. also when I open avstodvd preferences it says I have minus 1200 memory available when task manager reports this is wrong could this be the cause?

Views:	265
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	5227  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you have a serious issue with your system. There is a lot of screwiness there that simply isn't explained by AVStoDVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  23. arrgh I ran hardware diagnostic tools (this test among others)and it reports the whole system is running perfect memory, processor... also this message came up don't know what it means

Views:	267
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	5228  

Views:	312
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	5229  

Quote Quote  
  24. Guest34343
    You are apparently running DGPulldown through avs2dvd. I cannot vouch for any third party tool invoking my program in an unusual way. Please test DGPulldown standalone (use my GUI directly) and report the results.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Dgpulldown worked fine normally changeed 25>29.97 and used 11,000 K memory. Thanks neuron doesn't seem to be your program when you use it normally
    Quote Quote  
  26. @gunsl1inger my computer idles at around 1000 free 2800 available 1800 cached total 4055 but once the 1000 free goes the system does as I say freezes doesn't matter bout cached or available and 1000 is quite easier any encoding editing pulldown almost uses it all..
    Quote Quote  
  27. That's the way AVStoDVD calls DGPulldown:
    Code:
    DGPulldown.exe "clip.m2v" -srcfps 25.000 -destfps 29.97 -inplace -tff
    Of course scrfps, destfps and field order flag depends to project settings. No unusual way, I believe.

Having checked DGPulldown memory allocation during AVStoDVD project on my side, no issue, low memory consumption (less than 10 MB during all conversion step). I definitively agree with guns1inger.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No program runs in complete isolation from the operating system. If there is something amiss with Windows this could cause some applications to perform abnormally under certain circumstances. I am running the same version of AVStoDVD on two different Windows 7 machines, and neither display this type of behaviour. Both machines have been running AVStoDVD on them for well over 12 months, through several upgrades, and have not seen this happen on either of them.

Neither have I seen it reported by any other users here. You are, at this point, a unique case.

A couple of other suggestions.

1. Try an alternative program - DVD Flick is free
    2. Uninstall AVStoDVD with Revo (or similar), reboot, then install an older version. Baldrick keeps an archive of older versions here
    3. Run a System File Check (Click on the start orb, and in the Search field type 'sfc /scannow' - without the quote marks - and hit enter) and see if it finds anything out of place.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Ok Unistalled using revo freeaddition and removed several leftover files, ran your sfc test and got corrupted files and there fixed and i'm gonna redownload avstodvd and reinstall.

Views:	364
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	5239  

Quote Quote  
  30. wavi still crashes so I guess I'll use ffmpeg while dgpulldown takes only like 300k memory up but while it's running system idle processes takes 90- 99% and that's what's causing the freezing but when it finishes the morory drops to like 15 to 25%. I installed version 2.3.2 no difference and when wavi crashes this comes up
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: wavi.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 46c49fdf
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_293f
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16559
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba9b29c
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: 000cdc9b
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 3081
    Additional Information 1: 293f