My current memory setup:
    Memory Type DDR
    Memory Size 512 MBytes
    Channels Single
    Memory Frequency 165.8 MHz (3:5)
    CAS# latency (CL) 2.5
    Size 512 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)

It's all in one slot too. I have two memory slots, one of which is empty. I suspect I can improve PC perfomance with more memory since I am using the pagfile. Going to 1GB should solve that, but I can go up to 2GB.

My questions:
    Will putting in 2GB instead of 1GB make a noticable difference?
    My MB will take PC3200, but PC3200 is way more expensive than PC2700, I doubt it's worth it. Or is it? I don't use my PC for anything that intense, but if getting a single 1GB stick of PC3200 is better than 2GB of PC2700 then maybe I should do that instead.

I figure on removing the existing memory in any event.

If it matters my MB info is here:
    http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7ncd

I'm not sure if the MB can do the dual channel thingy if I have two memory cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    whichever you choose make sure to get 2 matched sticks so it runs in ddr mode. something like this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226082
    $60 for 2gbs
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    whichever you choose make sure to get 2 matched sticks so it runs in ddr mode. something like this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226082
    $60 for 2gbs
    That's one of the reasons why I said I'm probably going to have to remove my existing memory stick in any event, but thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Since you are looking at changing your CPU (in another thread) and memory, why don't you just spend a little more and get a new computer? Or a new motherboard, CPU, and memory. You'll get a much bigger bump in performance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're still using Win2K? Wow. That's hardcore. That was a decent OS in it's time, but that time has come and gone.

I would not recommend getting above 1 GB of memory, nor would I pay for the most expensive memory. My experience is that you would not notice any difference between 1GB and 2GB on Win2K and I'm not thinking that faster memory is really going to do much for you. Your computer is pretty old and dated. Really the less you can spend to make it functional, the better off you are.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'd agree with jman98 on this. I would probably get a 1GB stick of RAM that matches your existing RAM and see if both will run together. If not, pull the old stick. Dual channel 'may' get a 10% improvement on RAM speed, but I doubt you would notice with that OS or that PC. If you plan to go with a newer OS, such as W7, 4GB is a good size. But for W2000 or XP in a older PC, 1GB is plenty most times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not necessarily planning on sticking with Windows 2000. I'm thinking of going Linux and even that wants 1GB RAM. Don't I need a better matched pair if I want to go dual channel? Or should I just get any PC2700 or PC3200 to use there just to avoid doing the pagefile thing (probably slows down the PC more than anything)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Since you are looking at changing your CPU (in another thread) and memory, why don't you just spend a little more and get a new computer? Or a new motherboard, CPU, and memory. You'll get a much bigger bump in performance.
    I really don't have the time to fuss with that right now. Plus I plan on buying anything I need used off of eBay so it should be cheap enough (cheaper than a new build). When I have the time I might replace everything yes, but at such a time I'd probably also put in a newer OS which would most likely drag the whole thing down to where I am now. That and I already got my CPU upgrade with the new BIOS setting.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
    I'm thinking of going Linux and even that wants 1GB RAM.
    Part of my job is working with Linux. It's what I get paid for. Linux will run fine on your current setup without additional memory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
    I'm thinking of going Linux and even that wants 1GB RAM.
    Part of my job is working with Linux. It's what I get paid for. Linux will run fine on your current setup without additional memory.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Ubuntu Desktop Edition
    1 GHz x86 processor
    1GB of system memory (RAM)

Yeah I do see the advanced setup below that saying that you only need 1/2 GB, but I doubt that's for a Linux beginner.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just installed Ubuntu 10.4 LTS on my daughter's computer, which is a somewhat elderly P4 2GHz with 512 MB memory.

It works just fine. She says it runs faster than WinXP.

If you throw a lot at it, it will use the page file. With a relatively modern HDD, it's hardly noticeable.

I did not have to do anything special during the install.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your both probably right. Had Oracle XE running at startup, and I hardly use it, so I turned off the automatic startup and turned it off, and now my PC isn't using pagefile anymore, and most likely will start faster. So i might be done here for a while seeing as to how much better everything is already working.
    Quote Quote  
  13. As you've discovered, what applications you use is just as important as what OS you use when determining how much memory you need.
    Quote Quote