VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got an iPod touch for Christmas and my wife got an iPad. Up to this point, I have always burned my subs into my videos since we play back on our Tivo at home (most of the time). Now that we have our new toys, I am curious to test out switchable subtitles rather than burned in.

What is the correct way to do this for iPod video? I tried what I thought was the logical approach. I converted a clip with x264 and then tried to mux the subtitle into the container with mp4box. The subs were switchable in VLC, but not on the iPod. What do I need to do different?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It must be a special kind of subs(ttxt). Try srtiphone.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Baldrick. I will give it a whirl. Not exactly what I was hoping for though. I like to use CLI tools if possible to use with batch files.

Just looked through the mp4box documentation again. Perhaps I need to use the -ttxt string to convert the srt file for use with ipod? I vaguely remember reading something about that in the past, but I guess that I haven't tried it.

-ttxt Converts input subtitle to GPAC TTXT format
    -ttxt TrackID Dumps Text track to GPAC TTXT format
    I maybe I just need to use the -ipod string to write the container in whatever magic format that the iPod wants to see. Guess I have more tinkering to do.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably. srtiphone uses mp4box so it should be possible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to report back, it was just the -ipod flag that I needed when muxing. If you use -add video.srt with mp4box, it automatically converts them to ttext. The "magic" all seems to be with whatever is done with the -ipod flag.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for posting back. It might help others.
    Quote Quote