VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello to everyone! I've been very happy with my Sony HX710 DVD player/HD recorder for several years now, but recently it stopped responding to the remote control. Obviously I tried changing the batteries, but it didn't help—and the remote still controls the TV so it's clearly working. I also borrowed the remote from a friend's Sony DVD player and it didn't work either. At this point I'm pretty sure the IR sensor is kaput. This is pretty upsetting because I have a lot of videos recorded on the HD, but the buttons on the machine don't allow me to access/burn them—or do they? Is there some sort of secret to controlling the HDD functions with the buttons on the unit?

BTW I looked into having the unit repaired but it's complicated (it needs to be sent away, and I don't even have a box) and surely expensive (I'm pretty broke). So I'm hoping to find another solution.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Bump... desperately hoping someone can advise...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only thing I can think of is to check the manual.

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/dvbr/hdd/dvr/dvr.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=RDR-HX710

This is the UK site, but there is a link to the French version of the manual if that's what you need.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by disconnekt View Post
    I also borrowed the remote from a friend's Sony DVD player and it didn't work either. At this point I'm pretty sure the IR sensor is kaput....
    I doubt it is the IR sensor unless there is physical damage.

My only suggestion is what I would do with any failed microprocessor controlled product. Unplug the unit overnight. Plug it in in the morning and see if it reboots to a correct mode.

Many appliances have internal batteries or capacitors (similar to a computer cmos batteries) that maintain settings when the unit is disconnected or during power failure. You may need to disconnect the unit for several days to force a cold boot.

I've revived microwave ovens to camcorders this way. You know it has done a cold boot when it returns to factory settings. This also worked on my neighbors HD cable box when his remote stopped responding.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Other than an actual fault in the unit, here are two common causes for remote failure:

1. You changed lighting in the room recently. Certain fluorescents, especially the compacts that replace incandescent bulbs in table lamps, interfere with the IR sensor in many TVs and other electronics.

2. You somehow accidentally changed the remote signal code on either the remote or the recorder, so they no longer match. You'll need to check your instruction book for details on how to set both recorder and remote to the same code, I believe Sony offers a choice of three.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks to everyone for these suggestions! I'm going to try and will report back.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks again to everyone. I tried unplugging the unit overnight, and taking the batteries out of the remote for several hours, but no luck. Does anyone know if the hard drive can be removed so the recordings can be salvaged?
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you really need the videos stored on the HDD, there is no way to retrieve them unless you have the machine repaired. The HDD in the RDR-HX series is utterly and completely useless if removed from the recorder: only the recorder OS can access those files and make any sense of them as video. Don't even waste time searching thru all the ridiculous threads others have posted regarding removal and salvage of recorder HDDs: you have to be a software engineer to be successful at it, it takes weeks if not months to reconstruct a mere handful of videos, and its nothing like using the HDD in the recorder or using normal video on a PC. Don't be taken in by the handful of showoffs who claim "it can be done": realistically, it can't, and if you screw up the HDD while playing with it in your computer you may never be able to make it work again in the recorder, leaving you with an even bigger problem than you have now.

Taking the batteries out of the remote would not solve your issue: this does not reset anything on the Sonys. Did you try my suggestion to double-check the remote codes? There is a tiny switch located on the bottom right hand face of the remote, underneath the sliding cover. It has positions for 1, 2 and 3. The normal code of the recorder when you buy it new is 3, so make sure the switch on the remote is set to 3. If that doesn't work, try the switch in the 1 and 2 positions. If none of them will operate the recorder, there may be a fault in the remote that has locked it into a single code frequency that doesn't match the recorder setting. The only way around this would be to borrow another Sony remote that works properly, and try its 3 codes until you find the one that matches your recorder. Once you have a match, you can go into the recorder System>Settings>Options menu, open the Command menu, and alternate among the three codes until you hit the one that matches your "stuck" remote. Then your recorder and original remote will work together again. (Unless your original remote is completely dead or the IR receiver in the recorder is broken).

Unfortunately Sony has changed recorder suppliers twice since your 710 was made, first to Pioneer and more recently to Samsung. The Pioneer "Sonys" like the 770, 780 and 790 were excellent, the most current Samsung "Sonys" are considered dreadful. Sony did keep the same code setting system over the years, so try bringing your remote to a shop to see if it will operate the newer Sony recorders on display. If you bring your 710 to a friendly shop who will let you try their display remote on your recorder, you can change the codes on the new remote by holding down the Enter button then pressing and holding the number 1, 2, or 3 button simultaneously for 5 seconds (be sure to set the shop's remote back to "3" when you are done). If none of the codes on a new Sony remote will operate your old recorder, the recorder needs repair.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    OH MY GOD, orsetto THANK YOU! Somehow I didn't understand what you meant in your first message about the signal code, but I have just checked and the switch was set to 2 (probably by my toddler) so I set it back to 3 and IT WORKS!!!! I am SOOOO happy (hence all the capital letters). Thank you, thank you, thank you! I feel so stupid, but I never could have guessed there was a tiny switch that would deactivate my remote. You are a kind soul, I thank you. Have a wonderful day!
    Quote Quote  
  10. EXCELLENT! I'm very glad my tip about the remote solved your problem!

Its always a great feeling when the fix turns out to be just a simple setting or adjustment, and your gear is otherwise working fine. What a relief you didn't have to get it repaired after all! And on the plus side, you now know how to "lock" the remote so no one can use the recorder without your help!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    And on the plus side, you now know how to "lock" the remote so no one can use the recorder without your help!
    Quote Quote