VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://www.largepudding.tv
    Home of obscure videos and the relentless pursuit for image stupidity.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only to the weight of your wallet
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That certainly is a price and a half
    I wonder how many people fall for it?
    http://www.largepudding.tv
    Home of obscure videos and the relentless pursuit for image stupidity.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rich people with more money than sense, and over-paid sport-people with Power Balance bracelets on their wrists.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The significant difference for the price is mostly in audio quality.

And yes, audiophiles spend mega thousands on their equipment, including their cables. It's all in the materials, geometry, etc. They "fall for it" because they swear it makes a difference to their ears.

That's why companies like this one, and especially others, like Nordost and Cardas, are in business selling it by the foot for hundreds of dollars.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. And that's just for 60cm!

I'm in the wrong job!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    There will be absolutely no difference in audio quality between that cable and a properly functioning $5 cable. Small errors in a digital audio stream don't result in subtle quality differences. They result in very obvious ticks and pops.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Jan 2011 at 08:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    There will be absolutely no difference in audio quality between that cable and a properly functioning $5 cable. Small errors in a digital audio stream don't result in subtle quality differences. They result in very obvious ticks and pops.
    Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking more in the lines of speaker cables where audiophiles definitely would argue it does make a difference for the mass price difference.

Then again, at any rate, I don't have their ears, which may be a blessing in disguise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    And that's just for 60cm!

I'm in the wrong job!
    Take note: the high-end audio industry is hurting badly as of the last few years, so I would rethink any career plans.

Not sure if it's because the attitude towards expensive cables, and refrigerator-sized speakers, and $30,000 CD players/turntables, receivers and amps weighing a ton (literally!), etc, is that they're now overpriced "antiques", or it's the recession, or that people are now into iPod culture, whatever, it's a fact that the high-end audio industry is not what it used to be.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    class a audio equipment never was or will be cheap as the signal needs to be kept strictly analog. some people even now don't like the sound of transistors switching on and off in their music and are willing to pay the price.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    class a audio equipment never was or will be cheap as the signal needs to be kept strictly analog
    Why? Just because a signal has been kept analogue throughout the chain, won't make it inherently better or higher quality. Both analogue and digital equipment can have their strengths and weaknesses. The limitations of any system need to be quantified with tests/measurements.

Can you give an example of an analogue home audio system (from playback device to speaker) that you think gives better audio reproduction, and a comparable digital system that would be of a lower quality?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, those audiophiles would spend small fortunes just for the type of tube is in their setup.

The true audiophile will choose analog over digital. Like I said, I don't have their ears, but from their perspective they will argue that analog is a "pure", "warm" and "uninterrupted" sound, while digital is "broken" and overly crisp. They also say analog is more "analogous" to the real sound, and digital is plagued with gaps between the 0s and 1s.

They will choose vinyl over CD sound as well. Most of the audio old-school hardcores hated the CD when it first came out, and are loving the resurgence of vinyl in recent years. Keep in mind, there are currently more companies making turntables than companies making CD players at the moment.

There must be some sanity to this, which is why alot of audiophiles stay with expensive analog equipment. They will also spend thousands on a good Digital to Audio Converter (DAC) if they need a digital signal in - all to retain the main system as an analog system.

... I personally feel it's subjective.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Large_Pudding, I changed your title to go along with our rules, IE, descriptive titles.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's no video "signal" in HDMI, it's a communication link to the player in the TV. That's why there's no way to record from it. It's evil!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    class a audio equipment never was or will be cheap as the signal needs to be kept strictly analog. some people even now don't like the sound of transistors switching on and off in their music and are willing to pay the price.
    Those people don't have human ears, probably from the dog star. Or they are faking it.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    There's no video "signal" in HDMI, it's a communication link to the player in the TV. That's why there's no way to record from it. It's evil!
    The "signal" that travels over an HDMI cable is uncompressed video frames, either YUV or RGB. You can't record from it because the data is HDCP encrypted. There are devices that can record unencrypted HDMI (BlackMagic Intensity). There are also devices that can remove the HDCP encryption (Mux HD) from the HDMI signal but they are hard to get because their legality (at least in the USA -- see DMCA) is questionable. A few places used to sell them (curtepalme.com and monoprice.com) but the devices seem to have "disappeared" lately.

HDCP was recently cracked wide open -- the master encryption key was discovered. This would allow one to make a HDCP stripper without using stolen keys and without fear of the keys being black listed (you could just generate a new key for the device). But legal issues will probably prevent anyone from making or selling one in the USA.

Congress knows who pays for their reelection campaigns.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Jan 2011 at 07:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post

Depends on if it is encrypted. If not, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600482-REG/Convergent_Design_NANOFLASH_nanoFlash...ayer_with.html
    The more you learn, the less you know.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    HDCP was recently cracked wide open -- the master encryption key was discovered. This would allow one to make a HDCP stripper without using stolen keys and without fear of the keys being black listed (you could just generate a new key for the device).
    This is only semi-related, and not exactly new - but it's the BBC's attempt to introduce copy protection to their HD channels:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/04/welcome_to_some_new_initials_d.html
    scroll down to the diagram.

I'm not entirely sure of the details, but they're transmitting unencrypted with possibly some 'copy protection' flags in the data stream. A compliant 'Freeview' box will read the flags, then enable HDCP over HDMI.

From the webpage: 'At the moment, within the UK, it is impossible to record from HD to unprotected devices or recorders, or to connect to them.'
    Which is untrue. A decent DVB-S receiver should be able to watch (and record) the streams - even if it means adding the video/audio PIDs manually (not sure if all receivers have that feature).
    EDIT: should have said DVB-S2. Although they're transmitted using DVB-S, they're HD h264 - which most standalone DVB-S receivers won't be able to decode.

I wonder what they're smoking.

EDIT: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/bbc-hd-copy-protection-abject-failure-49302124/
    Last edited by intracube; 15th Jan 2011 at 17:29.
    Quote Quote