VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, new to the forum, nice to meet you all!

I have recently downloaded Cyberlink PowerDVD10, and saw the 3D button at the bottom and was amazed it can turn all my normal DVD's into the old 3D format. I understand it isn't the one used in cinemas, but still think it is pretty cool.

So, what I am wondering is, if there is a filter to encode video into this format, seeing as it is possible to make it from normal DVD's. Like, a VDub filter or Avisynth filter. Would be amazing to encode my Star Wars DVD's into anaglyph DVD's or the original Tron etc.

Thanks, Tugan
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've used this before http://3dvision-blog.com/converting-2d-videos-to-3d-using-virtualdub-and-the-avisynth-script it can create red and blue 3d effect red/blue and other colours think you need avisynth and vdub for conversion BTW it's not good on really fast action scenes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First off, you have to understand that what PDVD is giving you is FAKE! Just like a comb filter would convert mono to stereo, or a rainbow filter would convert black&white to color. No F'n way can a simple automatic device create what is truly a complex signal out of nothing. And PDVD is doing you a great disservice getting you to believe that it might be 3D. Don't be taken in by it, it just lowers the bar that much more.

There are already existing AVISynth scripts on this (and other) site(s) that allow you to take 2 video streams (separate Left & Right) and combine them into Anaglyph (Red/Cyan being the most common of that subformat). Do a search on 3D, Avisynth and/or anaglyph. I know it's posted in one of the threads I participated in...
    Plenty of other free- and shareware apps that'll do that, too.

But the other thing is a chimera. A bugaboo. A mirage. A CON. Do you want to be conned?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it's Star Wars you want to watch in 3-D, Lucas Arts is in the process of rendering the Star Wars films, starting with number 1, into the newest 3D. They plan to release 1 a year to the theaters until they have all been released.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    First off, you have to understand that what PDVD is giving you is FAKE! Just like a comb filter would convert mono to stereo, or a rainbow filter would convert black&white to color. No F'n way can a simple automatic device create what is truly a complex signal out of nothing. And PDVD is doing you a great disservice getting you to believe that it might be 3D. Don't be taken in by it, it just lowers the bar that much more.

There are already existing AVISynth scripts on this (and other) site(s) that allow you to take 2 video streams (separate Left & Right) and combine them into Anaglyph (Red/Cyan being the most common of that subformat). Do a search on 3D, Avisynth and/or anaglyph. I know it's posted in one of the threads I participated in...
    Plenty of other free- and shareware apps that'll do that, too.

But the other thing is a chimera. A bugaboo. A mirage. A CON. Do you want to be conned?

Scott
    WOW!

I only asked a simple question, didn't really expect that!

I know it isn't real obviously, but I like the effect it creates. Making them for kids, I doubt they would know it isn't really 3D, and besides, how can I be conned, when I am not paying. All I was asking is a simple method to give the effect of 3D, not actual 3D which costs tons of money.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try this free player/converter. It's another good as it gets technology. http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stvmkr/.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you Lowell, you have been most kind.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You now say you know it isn't real, obviously. But you didn't say that in the original post. And while YOU may know the difference and I know the difference, there is the whole Internet audience out there, some of whom DON'T know the difference. I'm answering to them as well as you.
    Also, it's about lowered expectations (the con thing)...
    If enough people accept fakes, then producers will not put as much effort into making it (3D) top quality. Then people will be disappointed by low quality, and then you end up with 3D going down the tubes again. This is important to me, as it's what I currently (and hopefully way into the future) make my living doing. One gets adamant when it has the potential to hurt the bottom line.
    Besides, one can be conned without money being involved. ("Sure, Buffy. You can't get pregnant if I pull out in time"...)
    And, IMO, what those things give you is non-congruent, semi-3D wierdness. Like I mentioned in my 1st post, these gimmicks have been tried for audio and color before also. Check out FAKE STEREO on the Beatle's "Strawberry Fields Forever" at the musical bridge right before John sings "Sitting in an English Garden...". From that point onward, you're listening to ALL LOW Frequencies on one channel and ALL HIGH Frequencies on the other. Would you call that real stereo? And be happy to listen to most/all music that way? I know I wouldn't.

But, to answer your question (if you're really serious about using this process anyway), Use PDVD to "convert" and use FRAPS or some other screen capture app to record the output, saving the result (But you'll need a powerful enough PC to stay smooth).

Scott

BTW, lowellriggsaim, Stereo Movie Maker is a great app to have, but it DOES NOT convert from 2D to 3D. It'll only cross-convert from one kind of 3D to another.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Check out FAKE STEREO on the Beatle's "Strawberry Fields Forever" at the musical bridge right before John sings "Sitting in an English Garden...".
    A bit OT, but I think you mean "I Am The Walrus", not "Strawberry Fields".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My mistake - you are correct. Serves me right for trying to recall it from memory while on break at work without singing through the whole line. I should have known better (pun intended).

Scott

(...at least I got the right album. BTW, SFF has it's own engineering quirk; it's 2 disparate halves tempo readjusted and spliced together)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Stereocopic Player can open the same video for both the left and the right eye and then it's a matter of offsetting one of the images.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No.

Taking an identical image into 2 channels and offsetting en masse results in ONLY changing the Z-distance of the stereo window plane. Like taking a FLAT image on a piece of paper and holding it further from or closer to you. It doesn't, and never will result in the flat piece of paper becoming a sculpture.

Scott
    Quote Quote