VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been looking for a storage solution for my CDs for a long time. Most of my searches turn up topics about CDr/DVDr storage. Easy, put them in a sleeve and a box. But here is my problem. I have 2000+ store purchased CDs cluttering up my man cave. I have ripped or will rip all the CDs I listen to frequently so I don't need the CDs to be out in the open all the time.

I need to store the CD book and the tray card. The tray card won't fit in a regular sleeve. This rules out CD binders (which I am leery about pressing all those discs together long term anyway). Once I have a 50 CD binder where the plastic sleeves got soft and stuck to my discs. It ended up peeling the print of the back of the discs! Don't want to repeat that again.

Soooooo There are plenty of $4000 solutions where I can buy a cabinet and keep my jewl cases but it does not suit my space problem or my financial capacity. I found these really cool sleeves http://www.jazzloft.com/p-34281-space-saving-cd-sleeves.aspx?affiliateid=10052 but they are 15 cents per which would cost me about $300-350 in f*****g basically sandwich bags.

There is some cool things called Jewel Sleeves http://www.jewelsleeve.com/cgi-bin/mivavm?/mm5/merchant.mvc+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jew...gory_Code=C001 but they are 50 for $20 x 2000 CDs = $800 noooooo wayyyyy!

I am also concious about archival materials. I would like to keep the CDs in a PH/Chemically inert sleeve. Tyvec and cotton are good for this. Possibley a polyethylene of the sofy variety.

I was thinking why not freezer bags? I could just cut the zipper off the top. I mean, they are fairly chemically stable and you can get like 300 of them for $7.

What are your thoughts and solutions to this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One of the best storage solutions, IMO, is to use the same type 'cake boxes' that discs come in. CD's and DVDs are thicker near the center, so the surfaces don't touch when stored this way. A sleeve can scratch the surface when there is dust on it and some of the plastics used may be detrimental to the plastic on the discs. The same could apply to plastic freezer bags. Probably the downside of using cake boxes is locating a particular disc, but if storage is for archival reasons, not really a problem.

You would also want to store any disc out of direct sunlight and in a cool, dry place.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have tons of CDs myself so I understand. However, I may not offer what you want to hear.

I've been using, and expanding with these for almost 15 years now:

http://www.allsop.com/classic-storage/cd-organizer---black

No, they are not the most cost-effective solution, but totally worth it (but if you shop around you will find them considerably cheaper). They are solid, expandable and flexible. They can rack vertically or horizontally, and against a wall don't really take much space. Even if I had a smaller place, I'd still find room for my CDs with these.

They do not bend, or skew. None have broken on me either. They are well built.

You also get to keep your stuff whole - jewel case, sleeve/book/card, disc. Why bother decapitating them?

They are also not stifled, or even bloated, with slots or ridges - I don't need some company telling me where to shove things. CD albums have varied widths, and also if you store alphabetically you can imagine what a nightmare it will be when a new entry comes into your collection, especially with the letter "A", or "B" when de-slotting everything in a shuffle. I just slide things easily with these.

Their beauty is in their simplicity - yet look high class. Anything with glittery decor, or even slots/ridges are for yuppies who have lame house parties and pretend to have money.

Books and sleeves? Garbage. I agree with your problem. As well, they too have similar management problems with your collection like slotted solutions do. Also, these are for teenyboppers who like boy bands IMO.

Plastic wrappers and freezer bags? Really? Is your beloved music worth that fate? I'd rather not say who I believe would use these... As well, the spines are too thin to navigate, stand or display. Honestly, they look cheap and will make your home look like crap. And furthermore, what would you do with those plastic or cardboard/non-jewel-case albums? Cut them?

Yes, I am looking into a ripping project for the future for hard drive play, and backup. Still undecided about going lossless, like FLAC, or which lossy format MP3 (compatibility) or AAC (better compression). But in the meantime, this solution has, and will, serve me well.

Anyway my friend, this is just opinion. Good luck.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 8th Jan 2011 at 02:53.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. PuzZLeR,
    Thanks for the feedback. I know the jewel cases are the best storage as they are touchless to the disc. Your solution would run me over $1500. At these price ranges I may as well go for one of these Can-AM storage units: http://cdcabinet.com/CD-storage-DVD-storage.htm This stuff is mudular and really cool.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again,

You can tell I'm passionate about my collection.

I just believe that if you did indeed amass a large collection you obviously invested some money, and passion, into it, and it would be a counter-productive mindset to insult it afterwards with a cheap storage solution.

Yeah, I agree the Allsop solution is not the cheapest, and I did accumulate my units little by little over 15 years, which felt like nothing even if I were on a budget. But keep in mind, any solution will be somewhat expensive if buying it in one shot for years worth of CDs.

But if the Allsop does appeal to you I assure you that the $1500 would be much less if you shop around.

I took a look at the Can-Am. Yes, it's high level as well (and not cheaper obviously and may be hefty in S&H if ordering direct as well).

The Allsop has the vertical and horizontal expansion advantage, but the Can-Am modular advantage is in the third dimension by a couple of lengths.

What I don't like about the Can-Am is that, although looks nice, it doesn't display the CDs unless you open the drawer. In this way, it can pretty much be replaced by any standard cabinet IMO. And it may be more difficult to insert a new entry if you have an ordered system.

Honestly though, I have looked into several solutions a while ago as my collection started to grow back then and if I remember, before I went with Allsop, I couldn't find an inexpensive and space-efficient solution that didn't need some form of compromise, such as in removing CD album components, looking bad, or risking CD damage.

And even if you do indeed go the plastic wrap route, you may still need some chassis/case/cabinet type of solution to store them in anyway if you don't want to use boxes.

Ah, a tough ditty indeed.

Then again, there's always ripping to hard drive, but that's another thing.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have a Can-Am set up and absolutely LOVE it!

My only regret is not buying more pieces way back when they were less expensive. Got mine about 12 years ago, after buying our first house. Shipping direct to the house was a little pricey. I was able to save a few bucks by picking up the order myself at a freight hub in Chicago. Just borrowed a buddy's pick-up truck and set my own time. No waiting at home all day for some clown to dump it in my driveway.

I got (2) 3-Drawer cabinets, a caddy, a top, and some drawer dividers and stops. Back then, I think the whole deal was about a grand. Now, you're probably looking at $1600 or more, depending on shipping. That set up holds around 1,600 CDs. So that comes out to about a buck apiece. Unfortunately, I've outgrown my original 6-Drawer set up. I will definitly purchase from Can-Am again.

The cabinets are fantastic in quality. You can design your own set up. Single wide or double wide, different heights depending on the amount of drawers. I wouldn't go more than 6 high though. Be sure to get the caddy. This heavy duty frame and casters is recommended. I do not move my unit, it weighs a ton fully loaded. The only drawback may be the space it takes up. Mine is tucked nicely in the corner of the man cave, 4 foot high x 2 feet deep x 38 inches wide.

Like me, you've spent many thousands of dollars over twenty-something years to create an awesome music library. Don't skimp on protecting your investment. Buy the best and have no regrets later. Can-Am will not disappoint. Stylish, sturdy, and secure. Keep your CDs organized, dust free, and easily accessible. My friends are impressed when I open a drawer and there's a couple hundred CDs neatly displayed in perfect condition, ready to rock out! (or borrow for their iPod)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I've bought several used dressers, each with four or five drawers. I've vertically stored my CDs in their respective cases for years now and have experienced no problems.
    It's an inexpensive yet effective CD storage solution!
    Cheers,
    Fred
    Quote Quote