VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    Ive just been getting a Sumvision Phoenix Premium 1080P Upscaling DVD Player cheap but seems ok. Thing is it will only let me fast forward or rewind certain avi files. I have an avi file which is xvid that i have split in 2 on the same disc the first half fast forwards and rewinds fine but when the second half starts i cannot fast forward or rewind it it says not possible at this time. Does anyone no why.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the file was split perhaps it lost it's index, or the place on the dvd it is written to is damaged/faulty. Do you have the same issues on your PC?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Its fine on the PC, also i have tried a other avi file which is just on a disc on its own and that wont FF or RW.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might try to reindex one these files using divfix and see if that fixes it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you did what you said and it fixed the file, Good stuff.
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by muay View Post
    Thank you did what you said and it fixed the file, Good stuff.
    That means the program that was used to split/make the file(s) wasn't working properly.

An Xvid AVI normally has an index of all the keyframes at the end of the file. Players use that to locate the desired position when seeking, fast forwarding, or rewinding within the file. If the index is missing it's much harder to seek -- so many players won't even attempt to. DivFix walks through the video frame by frame to locate keyframes and rebuilds that index.

Next time you need to split a file try using VirtualDub in Video -> Direct Stream Copy mode. It should perform the operation properly.
    Quote Quote