VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't entirely sure where this issue should go as there are a few different components and programs involved in the overall matter. If it needs to be moved, please do so (and advanced apologies). So here goes...

I am using a MacBook Pro, TiVo Premiere, MPEG Streamclip, iTiVo, VLC Player, Sherwood BDP-5004 blu-ray & dvd player, and sometimes Toast Titanium, first off. I have dvr'd a HD recording and want to keep it as-is (no converting just keeping it as a MPEG2 file). I have transferred the video file to my MacBook with iTivo (with the decrypt-only setting so that it is kept as-is from the dvr). I then edited out commercials with MPEG Streamclip but otherwise the file is still the same format (no converting, again). When I play the file back with VLC, it looks and sound a-ok. I have burned a copy to a dvd+r dl, once with Toast Titanium and once with the MacBook's own burning abilities. When I play the file back using the blu-ray player, the video breaks up a bit and sound gets a little distorted at those times too -- it appears like a bad video conversion (but which plays fine on the MacBook). I have tried changing settings on the player to playback interlaced (since the original file is 1080i) but it doesn't make a difference.

What I would like to know is if I should consider converting the file to another format that would retain the HD qualities of the original source. what would the source be and can MPEG Streamclip do it?

As a side-note that could be related, when I try to edit a dvr'd file that's in SD, the video doesn't appear (a frame or so intermittently actually) when I try to edit with MPEG Streamclip, just the audio plays. I have the Quicktime MPEG2 plug-in from Apple in order to edit the HD files I've been working with. Any tips on this matter too?

Thanks in advance, and if more info is needed, please ask and I will provide what I can ASAP.

Ben
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    trying to burn as an sd dvd? blu-ray/hd on dvd? converting to sd dvd? playing with sd dvd player or blu-ray player? what type of dvd dl?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just burning the mpg file(s) as-is to dvd+r (also dvd+r dl). Discs are Verbatim. The Sherwood is a stand-alone blu-ray player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anything?
    Quote Quote