VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After i have installed codec pack, sometimes when i play movies with Windows Media Player, i can hear 2 audio tracks playing at the same time. How can i make only 1 audio track to play?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure those videos contain two (or more) separate audio tracks? Use MediaInfo to determine whether or not the audio tracks are separate. Some videos actually have one language track recorded over (atop) another, usually an English track.

There may also be some videos that feature separate language tracks, but as the left and right sides of a single stereo audio track.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Uninstall K-lite, simple as that. CodecPaks=BAD.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And what is not bad?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just like all things computer, it's proven best to keep a lean, mean machine. And that means installing ONLY those few codecs that you use/need on a regular basis. For all other (non-standard) clips (probably stuff that is DL'd off of P2P sites), it's best to have an testing/conversion SANDBOX pc (which is able to totally restore its OS).

Those few installed codecs should be gotten individually direct from their source, with proper uninstall routines.
    Codec paks like K-lite go against this strategy and bulk up on everything under the sun, making a mockery of good troubleshooting come problem time.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is i have movies but don't know what codecs i need. How to know this?
    Also do you think K-Lite Codec uninstall will help to get everything back on its place and start from scratch?
    Last edited by Boris_yo; 6th Jan 2011 at 08:16.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    boris_yo,

For playback, you only need a player that manages it's codecs internally. Give MPCHC or VLC a try. I use MPCHC myself but many others enjoy VLC.

What's really ironic is the K-Lite provides MPCHC which makes the rest of it virtually useless. Uninstall K-Lite, if you can..., and download MPCHC directly. If you run into any playback problems because the default settings aren't working, let us know and we can help you out. Most things work just fine but you may need to tweek things for DXVA playback for h264.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VLC, yes you reminded me. Initially i used VLC but soon started encountering "Pixels Ejection" sometimes on screen. I don't know the right term to explain this but sometimes all screen would show pixels with disrupted image. It goes away when new scene appears. I thought it happens because of bad data within movie file but determined that it happens randomly.

Do you know the right term to describe this problem and how could it be avoided/fixed?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That sounds more like the video is using a high compression codec. They commonly use widely spaced 'keyframes'. A keyframe is a complete frame of the video. The others in between only store the difference between keyframes. That's one way they achieve high compression.

Your player is likely hitting those in-between frames and has to wait till the next key frame to get the whole picture. This is common with high compression codecs such as H.264, though you miay see it with Divx/Xvid also. Divx uses about a 300 frame key frame spacing. That makes it very difficult to do frame accurate editing. And with some players, you may see incomplete frames if you FF the video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah but it didn't happen for a long time. Videos were playing good and suddenly this problem. If i rewind back to same scene, i don't get that effect so the problem is not in movie. Maybe something is wrong with my external WD hard drive? Maybe it fails to supply data sometimes?
    Quote Quote