VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good day everyone, please forgive my excessive ignorance in this matter, however, here is the situation. I have a video that was done for me years ago for a website I own. The video was done in Flash and I do not have the source file (.fla I believe) I do, however, have the .flv file. Is there anyway to edit that video? Nothing drastic, just need to remove a few frames and replace those frames with different ones. Basically, there are some frames that show our site URL and it has since changed, so I wanted to fix that.

Thanks so much in advance!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    almost anything is possible, but it's not recommended. there isn't much video info left in most flv, and re-encoding it again after editing will only make it that much worse.

usually the easiest way is to convert the flv to lossless avi like huffyuv first then edit and re-encode back to flv.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ahhh ok, so if I understand, I can convert to .avi without any loss of quality, edit the .avi and then convert back to .flv

If I go this route, will I still maintain the original quality of the .flv?

Thanks so much, hate to sound like such a noob, but well...I am lol.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FLV is a highly compressed streaming format, and as such, deals with very long GOP (Groups of Pictures) streams, instead of individual frames that you precisely cut. Nevertheless, here is a tutorial on converting flv to avi with VirtualDub and some other tools:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/FLV_to_AVI_Conversion_Guide_page1.html

However, that guide's later steps in converting to DivX or Xvid should not be done, as you still won't get frame-accurate edits. Download and install either the Cedocida DV codec, or if you have lots of disc space for a lossless avi format (preferable), download and install HuffYuv. (Another option is to use VirtualDub's default Uncompressed RGB format, but that takes up loads of disc space.) Do the conversions in VirtualDub, then re-open the new avi either back in VirtualDub or your NLE of choice; make your edits and save the final .avi. Then convert to .flv for streaming back on your site. (Lots of ways to convert .avi to .flv. WinFF is the simplest freeware tool.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you very much for the responses...I will give things a whirl tonight and see how it goes, do not be shocked if I come back with more questions, lol.

Appreciate your time very much!
    Quote Quote