VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty ingorant when it comes to this stuff, but I feel this is a valid question... I've used AVS4You, Cucusoft, and a couple other conversion softwares, But after the conversion, the video stutters. The audio is fine, but the video 'skips' ever so slightly... It hasn't always done this, I believe it started when I updated my AVS software, but I'm not for sure. I don't know how to turn off my codecs, or if that is even a good idea. After it started happening I ripped a couple of DVDs and there is no stutter, so I'm sure its something happening during the conversion process, but I've tried like four kinds of software, and they all do the same thing. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but if someone could help me fix this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's actually a fairly complex question. If you did nothing but convert to a ISO container format, nothing would have changed from the original video. So, something did and your conversion program would likely be the cause of that. ISO's are just containers, much like a PC folder. They have the advantage of holding what you've put in them under a single title, much the same as a folder. The downside is that not all players can accept that container.

I use ImgBurn to create an ISO for my WD Live player. It doesn't make any changes to the original video.

I'm guessing that the ISO format conversion isn't the problem, more likely it's something with the program you used before that. That program likely changed the video in some way and that is causing the problems. Did the video play back on your setup before putting it in a ISO container?

What are you playing it back with? Some software/hardware players don't do well with ISOs. Is the PC in your specs the output player?

Why are you putting it in a ISO container? Is that a requirement of your playback device?

What is the original format of the video? If it's high definition, then you need a PC that is capable of HD playback, whether it's in a ISO container or not.

Most times 'skipping' is because of not enough video processing power.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I generally use Jetaudio for playback... I'm under the impression that I need to get the file from AVI to ISO format, so it will play on a dvd player when I burn it (could be wrong)... The reason I'm not totally sold on the idea that its my conversion software, is that at first, all was well, all my AVI conversions to ISO burnt and played on dvd players well, but (if memory serves) I had an update for my AVS software, and after that, I had a stutter with the video playback, even on the CPU. The avi would play well, but after the conversion, a stutter. Its really aggrivating, especially when I'm pretty sure its something simple like changing a setting or something like that. I'll try ImgBurn, and let you know what happens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An ISO is simply a CD format image container. It says nothing at all about the video format you have converted to. My impression is that you are converting AVI files to a DVD Video format, packaging them inside an ISO, then burning them to a DVD blank for playback. If you open one of these DVDs in your PC, what do you see on the disc ? Do you see the AVI files ? Or do you see a Video_TS folder that contains IFO, BUP and VOB files ?

If it is AVI files then it is most likely a playback issue - perhaps poor format conversion by your player. If it is now a DVD Video disc then the issue is probably poor format conversion by the encoder. This could be from PAL to NTSC, or from 23.976 fps NTSC to 29.970 fps NTSC.

Try a reputable conversion tool, such a DVD Flick or AVStoDVD, then burn with Imgburn. There is also no actual need to create ISO files. Imgburn will happily burn files directly. The conversion to ISO adds nothing to the process.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the Fourth time I've tried to respond, it keeps saying I don't have permission and that I need to sign in, I'm already signed in!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now it works. I'm gonn keep this short so I don't get logged off or whatever has been happening. I used AVStodvd to put AVI into Video_Ts folder. Then Used Imgburn to put into ISO container (because thats what the How TO guide told me to do) then Used nero to burn to a disk. The stutter is gone, BUT the audio and video were out of sync. I would like to put more information down, but like I've said, I've been trying to post for like 30 minutes and I get a message saying I need to sighn in again. Please help, I feel like I've almost got it figured out. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what guide you are referring to, but you don't need Nero at all. Simply convert with AVStoDVD, then use Imgburn to burn the results (Write files/folder to disc, select the Video_TS folder, then burn).

Audio sync issues would indicate a possible problem with the source video, or perhaps with the codecs on your system. Does the converted DVD Video play correctly from your HDD before you burn ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    JP9656, If you get logged off a lot on our site, delete your browser cookies for it, then log back in and that usually fixes it. New cookies will be added.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I decided to try a different avi, and it worked fine. I guess the original avi. file I tried was the problem... I was even able to put two avi. files on one 8.5gb dual layer disc that I had... when I use avstodvd, should I match the 'burn speed' to that of the disc I plan on burning on to? And same question for imgburn?.. like I said, I got it to work (thank you), just was wondering if there are any little critiques I should make to ensure quality in the future... Do you have any tips for putting shows (multiple avi. files) on a disc. I was able to do two movies on one, I guess my question is how will I know how many will fit onto the disc I plan to use? When I change the disc size to DVD-9 (avstodvd), will it atomaticaly know and prevent me from adding too many files? Thanks again.
    Quote Quote