VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I shot a wedding for a friend with my Canon HF M30 and have a good amount of 1080p30 footage. I have since not got around to editing it since my computer cannot handle the compression of avc when playing back in Vegas HD Platinum 10. I've tried converting multiple containers and codecs, but none seem to run smoothly. I was hoping that down-scaling to 720p would make it easier, but have not found a solution there either.

VirtualDub needs directdrivers to open my MTS files, so i failed to find a way to do a batch convert there. The goal is to output it to a DVD that looks professional (windows dvd maker has nice menus). I have separated the day by events: prewedding, wedding, reception & such and hope to edit these separately to compile in the DVD later.

What ways (software) can I downscale and convert these video files to make them more manageable? And any suggestions of how to compile the DVD would be helpful too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could try importing a canon file into vegas plat 10 and rendering as DVavi without editing. DVavi is easily editable and 720x480 so matches up with dvd specs well. it also is 25mbps so quality loss shouldn't be too bad. after creating all the DVavi files then create your movie with them in 10 plat and render as dvd spec mpeg-2.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use the Sony MXF intermediate, it has "Smart Recompress". Throw everything on the timeline, then let it go overnight, or use "Selective Prerender" and it will give you a bunch of small chunks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you need a less complex, one program solution-output use avstodvd to generate a final dvd with a basic menu and no editing of the original file. That would at least give you a useable short term output. You can certainly go more complex as the others have suggested. But if you simply want a direct output to see what the results could be like avstodvd is a good way to go.

Edit - actually avstodvd does use multiple programs but its gui gives you direct control of the final output before the processing is actually done.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well this isn't just one file i have, i have tons of tiny 10 second clps along with 3 minute dances, and then the 1 hour of wedding footage (with 2 camera angles). I need to be able to separate the files as they are right now, and not mash them all into one timeline huge file. 720x480 is fine, i just don't know how to do a batch conversion of that, whatever codec would be best to edit in and all that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. you can use ffmpeg and avisynth to batch generate / batch convert

if you don't know how to write scripts, you can use tools made by "khaver" , which include GUI's and instructions

see this thread and look later in the thread for newer versions.

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?25044-Batch-Intermediate-Creation-Utilities

(note it's originally for hdv, but will work for avchd, if you have haali media splitter and ffdshow installed)

another option is to use a "proxy workflow" or "offline editing" . Bascially you use a SD intermediate for quick editing, then swap back to full quality version upon final render. You can google for it, there should be many of threads on it, a few in this forum. Not sure if you're able to do it with platinum version, however
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas 10 Pro has a batch converter, don't know if Plat has that. You can download the trial.
    Last edited by budwzr; 2nd Jan 2011 at 21:36.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Wow I never even knew proxy editing existed. That would be the way to do this on my laptop here if i was burning blu-ray, but sadly i'm stuck with DVD quality so i might as well edit just in that. Gearshift only supports up to vegas 9 and i would use that only if there wasn't some shaky camera footage that i'd like to use vegas 10's new built in stabilization tool to correct. I imagine gearshift wouldn't like that as it creates subclips of the stabilized video, and I don't feel like pre-selecting the shaky footage to deshaker in Virtualdub. Just for reference, I'll post the link I found for proxy editing.

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?23991-Proxy-editing-and-Batch-conversion-script-for-Vegas-Pro-8

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/142733-neo-scene-vs-gearshift.html

I'm more or less confused of what to convert what into when. So will I keep it in a 16:9 until i render the full project to a 720x480 widescreen setting, or do I convert to 720x480 right away and mess with the pixel aspect ratio in vegas? As you can tell, I sort of don't know what I'm talking about, so feel free to go into noob detail.

Also if i wanted to edit this in "parts". What would I output the edited segments to before i combine them all to make the big picture?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can leave them on the timeline, create subclips, render to new tracks, whatever you want. The Sony deshaker builds subclips too.

If your output is going to be 16:9, then set your project to 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bennyboytx View Post
    I shot a wedding for a friend with my Canon HF M30 and have a good amount of 1080p30 footage. I have since not got around to editing it since my computer cannot handle the compression of avc when playing back in Vegas HD Platinum 10. I've tried converting multiple containers and codecs, but none seem to run smoothly. I was hoping that down-scaling to 720p would make it easier, but have not found a solution there either.

VirtualDub needs directdrivers to open my MTS files, so i failed to find a way to do a batch convert there. The goal is to output it to a DVD that looks professional (windows dvd maker has nice menus). I have separated the day by events: prewedding, wedding, reception & such and hope to edit these separately to compile in the DVD later.

What ways (software) can I downscale and convert these video files to make them more manageable? And any suggestions of how to compile the DVD would be helpful too.
    Please put your computer details in so we know exactly where to start. Either way, if you see yourself doing this wedding thing (or some similar event) again in the future, I'd beef my hardware up ASAP and put Windows 7, which can natively read AVCHD. Appropriate h/w is no longer expensive; for less than about $400 you can have a top-rated Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 mobo, Core i5-650, and 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM. You can try all software tricks in the box but AVCHD is always the wrench thrown into the works that will foul it up.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    Please put your computer details in so we know exactly where to start. Either way, if you see yourself doing this wedding thing (or some similar event) again in the future, I'd beef my hardware up ASAP and put Windows 7, which can natively read AVCHD. Appropriate h/w is no longer expensive; for less than about $400 you can have a top-rated Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 mobo, Core i5-650, and 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM. You can try all software tricks in the box but AVCHD is always the wrench thrown into the works that will foul it up.
    I see. My laptop is a hp dv6375us with 2GB DDR2 RAM with 128MB Nvidia GeForce Go 7400 and Core 2 Duo T7200 2Ghz. I was considering of building my next computer with an i7 and 8GB Ram at least. The desktop we have right now is Pentium 4...1GB with XP.
    Quote Quote