VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a JVC GZ-HD30 and shoot in full HD (MPEG2TS) creating .TOD files.

I have previously used Adobe PE 7 but now having bought a new iMac I am keen to use iMovie.

There are loads of topics / forum posts / blogs on the subject but none that gives a clear mechanism for importing .TOD files into iMovie without losing HD quality.

I have Mpeg Streamclip and the Apple component (cost £15 - a bit of a cheek) but the work round involves an actual file conversion which seems unnecessary as .TOD is just a wrapper.

So... I am about to upgrade to iLife 11 and the questions are...

1. Does iMovie 11 support 'virgin' importing of .TOD files and, if not...

2. Please can you give me a clear route to get those raw .TOD files into iMovie 9 or 11.

btw - I can use Mpeg Streamclip to demux to the m2v and accompanying audio file which easily imports into Final Cut Express but... I want to use iMovie 11 as it's easier to use for a novice like me...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ".TOD" is to confuse newbys into thinking they need the accompanying JVC software which is probably a teaser program that prompts you to buy a full version of some crappy software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by 0wa1n View Post
    I have Mpeg Streamclip and the Apple component (cost £15 - a bit of a cheek) but the work round involves an actual file conversion which seems unnecessary as .TOD is just a wrapper.
    a TOD file is an HD mpeg2 video format & an AC3 video format, wrapped in a mpeg-privateElementariesStreams (aka an almost identical wrapper as DVD-VIDEO)
    MPSC and the mpeg2 codec (PS: you just buy a license, not a developpement cost for this price) will does it nicely (from memories: just convert to 1440*1080px, Apple Intermediate Codec)

btw - I can use Mpeg Streamclip to demux to the m2v and accompanying audio file which easily imports into Final Cut Express but... I want to use iMovie 11 as it's easier to use for a novice like me...
    bad idea: FCE does not handle HDV (or every MPEG2 files) for editing. This features is only for FCP.
    So convert first to AIC, use an FCE's setting/template "1080i", import and edit

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote