VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Just installed Freemake Video Converter 2.0.0.1 but can't get it to convert this video file: wonderfulworld_secure.swf, from this web site - http://oldbluewebdesigns.com/wonderfulworld.htm.

When I click on the Video button, then select & open the swf file, I get the error message "File opening error. This file was not added".

What's wrong here & how can I fix it?
    Last edited by rckowal; 25th Dec 2010 at 10:57.
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's because the swf isn't a traditional "video" ; it's a collection of stills & audio assembled into a swf container

There is a copyright warning at the end , but I'll tell you one way of how to convert it and leave the decision up to you - but it requires avisynth knowledge

The easy way is just to use a screen recorder program, then convert it.

The higher quality way is to decompile the audio with swf tools (free) or some other decompiling application like sothink swf decompiler. This saves your from generation loss of the already shabby audio (ie. you can mux the original audio)

You can use avisynth and swfsource() which will give you a vertically flipped image .
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1373418#post1373418

The plugin is "flaky" so I would encode a lossless intermediate first (e.g. lagarith , huffyvu, ut video codec), then apply your flipvertical() filter and converttoyv12 to the lossless intermediate. I would resize to mod16 dimensions as well (its 600x415 , so I would resize to 600x416). You can then encode to your desired format with any program that accepts avs scripts e.g xvid4psp, ripbot, megui, vdub, etc... and mux in the untouched audio

There might be some swf to video conversion tools as well you can search for, but I don't know how well they will work
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply. I've considered using sothink swf decompiler but it claims to only convert swf to fla or Flex. I don't know a thing about these formats so please tell me if they are equal to a flv file.

The reason I'm looking for an app that converts swf to flv is that Freemake only accepts normal flv flash files as a source.
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote  
  4. No it isn't, it will decompile to the individual assets or fla. This isn't the same as a flv video

The free method listed above is probably going to be over your head

I think sothink has a "swf to video converter." That will probably work for you
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for clarifying fla. I tried the demo versions of "swf to video converter" as well as "iwisoft Flash/swf to Video Converter. They both convert the "secure.swf" files to flv quite nicely but they also leaves a watermark on the flv. The watermark is gone on the purchased version but the iwiFlash costs $49. Sothink is $79. Being retired on a fixed income, that's a bit much for me.

Does anyone know of an equivalent free app that doesn't leave watermarks?
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote