VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to ask for some information and advice. I've got a Philips 5990/37 upscaling DVD player hooked via HDMI to a 40" Samsung HDTV (LN630A). For its cost and what the Philips does, it's fantastic and there've been no technical problems. But I sometimes run into a file type limitations, that is, taking computer downloaded videos to the Philips via a USB stick. The most frequent problem is that the Philips won't play .MKV or MP4 videos (x264/CAVLC 832x468 from European TV) , and doesn't like some .AVI/DivX/MP4 file type conversions either (plays audio only). For these problem ones, it seems like I have to downgrade the video a bit to get a compatible file format, or go to very large .MOV files. Probably the closest in video quality I've come with success is NTSC/Mpeg-2 conversion.

Assuming I'm not missing some type of conversion format, i.e., a software solution, are there any any hardware solutions that bypass the frequent need to convert files? I noticed the thread yesterday (12/23), "Playing MKV files on Plasma TV," which discusses media players. I wasn't familiar with those. Are they a solution for my need? Video quality? If so, how does a media player hook in relative to DVD player and TV (parallel, serial)? What about more recent DVD players or Blue-Ray players: are there reasonably priced, good quality ones compatible with these file types? In other words, what might be some good options for approaching this? (btw, I'm not needing wireless or internet streaming) Thanks,
    Last edited by rogmath; 24th Dec 2010 at 18:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD/Blu-Ray players and HDTV sets are very restrictive on format support.

You will get wider support especially for h.264 MKV and xvid HD with a media player such as WDTV live.

Another argument for media players is they receive regular updates where DVD-Blu-Ray players and HDTV sets tend to be frozen in time to purchase date. Updates are uncommon.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Media players need a separate connection to the TV from everything else you have connected to it. Western Digital has several different models with various features. Basically they all support the same stuff for playback but the more expensive models offer more bells and whistles.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A lot of people seem to be happy with the LG BD530, BD550, etc. Blu-ray players and their MP4/MKV playback abilities. The DB530 starts around US$60 on sale.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/328677-Cheap-Blu-Ray-Player-that-does-it-all-like-P...ighlight=bd530

A standalone media player like the ones mentioned in the thread you referenced will probably (I don't know good the LG players' support really is) handle a wider variety of files.

Divx/DVD players like the Philips 5990 are restricted to Divx/Xvid codecs in an AVI or MP4 container, and MPEG 1/2 in an MPG or VOB container. They're limited standard definition resolutions (720x576 or less). For "quick" conversions of other material you can try AviRecomp or Xvid4PSP.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Dec 2010 at 19:13.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One other important point for the Philips disc players is the 4GB file size restriction because they use FAT32 drive formating for external drives, where boxes like the WD can use NTFS formating and don't have that limitation. This does become a problem with DVDs if you want to store them on a FAT32 drive.

MKV's will only play on a very few disc type players, so most of the time you would need to convert. Media players can usually handle MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice. After looking at the LG thread, the consensus for a media player looks convincing.

[update: skip this - TV has a third HDMI port] An important connection question. The Samsung TV has two standard HDMI connections, which the cable box and Philips DVD player are currently using. One possibility is manually switching plugs between media player and DVD player. But the Samsung also has a port labeled "DVI in (HDMI 2)" with two RCA jacks. What is that? I would have thought the RCA connection makes it analog. Any simple (and inexpensive) ideas for hooking up Media and DVD players that would keep everything digital? Thanks,
    Last edited by rogmath; 25th Dec 2010 at 19:49.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The DVI port is for connecting a computer (or any device with a DVI output). DVI uses the same signal technology as HDMI (as far as the video is concerned) -- so the DVI port shares data pins with the HDMI port. Hence the "(HDMI 2)" in the label. That means you can't connect both HDMI 2 and DVI at the same time (there's some possibility you could use both connectors but only have one device on at a time). DVI can carry audio but not in a way that's compatible with HDMI audio. So there are two RCA connectors for stereo audio input from the computer.

If you have a spare HD component input on the TV you could use that and not lose much picture quality. You may want to use the component input with the DVD player since it's only SD to start with.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Dec 2010 at 19:09.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the explanation. I have to laugh. Your post got me to look more closely at the manual and TV, which I've had for a couple of years, and rediscover its side panel that has another HDMI port. That solves that.

Since starting this thread, I got to looking around the internet at media players, starting first with the WD series and Seagate. For my needs, the Patriot Box Office and the Diamond HD Media Wonder (MP1000) seem to be sufficient and offer the best bang for the buck, short of buying WD's more much expensive 1T model, which I don't need. The Patriot, which can be had for $48 through Friday at Amazon (after rebate), has the biggest following and lots of company and user support at their forums. That's very appealing (and their USB sticks are very good). The newer Diamond, $80 on the same type of deal, seems to be a bit better built, use the same 1073 chip, has a better remote and video control, no internal fan, no complaints of failure (yet), decent support and a company that's had a good reputation around the multimedia market for a long time (video cards) and is getting into the media player market with a few models (vs. one for Patriot). The only thing their unit doesn't have is space for an HDD, but again that's not important to me.
    Last edited by rogmath; 25th Dec 2010 at 20:56.
    Quote Quote  
  9. That's a good deal for the Patriot Box Office. If you get one let us know how it works out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will. The price went down to $44.58 with rebate in the meantime. At that price, it's worth any qualms.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That's a good deal for the Patriot Box Office. If you get one let us know how it works out.
    So far so good hooked to TV with latest firmware. Picture via USB is better than Philips. A couple of odd things, like the volume is at least 7 clicks below the DVD player and 10 below the TV; and my cable remote is also powering up the PBO sitting next to the cable box, tho not down. But when I turn off the PBO with its own remote first, turning off the cable box turns the PBO back on.
    Quote Quote