VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a mac user, but my dad uses pc. i use handbrake on my mac to rip dvds to my external hd. i'm trying to set pop's pc up to do the same thing, but handbrake keeps jamming up. this sually happens during the initial scan of the dvd, when i select source, but before i start encoding. it says it is scanning, but never stops. I have tried closing the program, restarting program and computer, I've even unistalled and reinstalled the software. if i stop a scan and retry, it won't even try, and pops up a message about a file being used elsewhere already. i dont know if i got a crummy copy of handbrake, or if there is another free program that wil serve the same purpose better. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, and i hope this all made sense.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do these DVDs require decrypting and what are you decrypting them with?
    Quote Quote  
  3. i don't know anything about decrypting. on my mac, i throw a dvd in the drive, open handbrake, and hit start. and hour or so later i can transfer it to my hd and then travel with a lot of movies, but not a lot of junk to carry around. i'm trying to do the same for my dad, so he can watch movies on his laptop when not at home.

cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well since no computer (Yes...Macs included) is immune to the encryption technology placed on store-bought, factory pressed Hollywood DVDs....I'd say you have been very lucky with getting DVDs to your HDD with your Mac.
    The Handbrake website states this:
    Supported Sources:
    Any DVD-like source: VIDEO_TS folder, DVD image or real DVD (unencrypted--protection methods including CSS are not supported internally and must be handled externally with third-party software.

You will need to decrypt the DVD first with something like AnyDVD running in the background OR use DVDFabDecrypter (there is a free portion to the program) to rip the DVD to your HDD....then use Handbrake to compress.When the Handbrake compression is successfully completed...delete the DVD material and you are done.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks very much, i'll give this a try.

happy holidays
    Quote Quote