VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,
    I have been using a DVI cable with HDMI adapter for my display. Ths is because my monitor samsung syncmaster 2033 has only DVI input. My graphics card NVIDIA 9400GT has HDMI support but through DVI-HDMI adapter. I've had no problems with it until now but recently my adapter broke. so i went to the store and when i asked for adapter, the guy said it's out of stock. But he said instead of that i could use a DVI HDMI Cable which also does the same thing. But i wasn't convinced so i'm asking - Is it possible to use a DVI HDMI CABLE as an alternative for the Adapter? My graphics card has HDMI support through adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know the answer, but bumping a thread after only 37 minutes will make it less likely that anyone is inclined to help you.

Have a little patience!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Both the 9400GT and the Samsung monitor have DVI connectors. A DVI-D to DVI-D cable is all you need. This would be electrically identical to using an HDMI cable with DVI-D adapters at each end.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have one for My Xbox the I use on a Monitor
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In terms of video HDMI and DVI are identical! So a DVI/HDMI cable is simply a question of making sure the right pins are connected.
    HDMI additionally supports audio (which obviously DVI doesn't)!

So an HDMI/DVI cable is the same as a cable with an adapter at the end
    so put simple the answer to yuour question is YES
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    he said instead of that i could use a DVI HDMI Cable which also does the same thing. But i wasn't convinced so i'm asking - Is it possible to use a DVI HDMI CABLE as an alternative for the Adapter?
    Yes. I use one to connect the DVI port on a graphics card to HDMI on the TV. All the adapters/cables do is route the correct pins at the DVI port to the correct pins at the HDMI port. The video signals that travel over DVI and HDMI are the same.
    Quote Quote