VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I could really use some expert assistance. My TV refuses to play some MKV files, displaying an unhelpful codec error message. I've used VLC to examine the codecs of the files that do work and the ones that don't, but as far as I can tell there's no difference. How should I go about spotting the difference between the files?

[Attachment 4811 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by MrFriendly; 22nd Dec 2010 at 11:37. Reason: Added screenshot of supported formats (page 31 of the manual)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My guess would be that they have been compiled with a version of mkvmerge that compresses the headers by default. This started with version 4, I believe, and lasted a couple of versions. You can fix it by either using a new version of mkvmerge and turning off the compressed header feature, or by using an older version of mkvmerge. You may have to use mkvextractGUI to decompile the parts of the mkv files, then use mkvmerge to put it back together again.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe time to make sticky about this.

In latest mkvmergeui under File -> Options -> MMG-> Disable Header Removal Compression. Then restart it and make a new mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you for the replies, but that didn't make a difference. Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you haven't tried it, use MediaInfo to do the comparison. It gives you a lot of info and you may find the differences. I find the 'Tree' mode easiest to understand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your TV manual should list the supported codecs, containers and size/bitrate restrictions. If all those match it could be the header.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've attached the relevant page of the manual when I first posted. It lists a whole bunch of things that I don't understand. Apart from that, container, codec and bitrate are acceptable. There is no file size restriction listed, but I've played far larger files than the ones that have failed to play, so that can't be the issue.

Thank you for the tip about MediaInfo's tree view. Would you mind helping me track down what the manual says the TV won't handle? I don't know what to look for.

Supports up to H.264, Level 4.1
    I think this may be the problem with at least one file. One file that fails has "Format profile High@L5.1", while one file that works has "Format profile High@4.1". Do you think "level" in the manual is what MediaInfo calls "format profile" or am I on the wrong track?

I have absolutely no idea what these mean:
    H.264 FMO / ASO / RS, VC1 SP / MP / AP L4 and AVCHD are not supported.
    GMC 2 over is not support.
    Quote Quote  
  8. not sure if this trick will work.I found it on avsfourms on how to change it to MKV 4.1
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tsmuxer1.png
Views:	37787
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	4953  

Quote Quote  
  9. I've performed another test and I'm now pretty sure the format profile is the problem. The trouble is, I've tried to convert an MKV to DVD using various tools and they all failed. I suppose I should start another thread in the appropriate forum.

MJA, I don't understand. Why would I want to convert MKV to M2TS? My TV doesn't play that format.
    Last edited by MrFriendly; 5th Jan 2011 at 19:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I looks like TSMuxer
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1282080&page=6
    Post 167.I thought changing the mkv profile from 5.0 to 4.1 will solve the issue
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    I thought changing the mkv profile from 5.0 to 4.1 will solve the issue
    It would, provided the container format remains MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    My guess would be that they have been compiled with a version of mkvmerge that compresses the headers by default. This started with version 4, I believe, and lasted a couple of versions. You can fix it by either using a new version of mkvmerge and turning off the compressed header feature, or by using an older version of mkvmerge. You may have to use mkvextractGUI to decompile the parts of the mkv files, then use mkvmerge to put it back together again.
    and

Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

In latest mkvmergeui under File -> Options -> MMG-> Disable Header Removal Compression. Then restart it and make a new mkv.
    worked for me (TV Samsung LE40C630). Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

worked for me (TV Samsung LE40C630). Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

This solution worked for me too. Some of my mkv files didnt play on my LG TV until i disabled the header as suggested above.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by voltas5 View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

worked for me (TV Samsung LE40C630). Thanks guys!
    This solution worked for me too. Some of my mkv files didnt play on my LG TV until i disabled the header as suggested above.[/QUOTE]
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    can someone explain in proper detail how to change those mkv,since i dont know where to go to mkvmergeui under file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Nobody has really gone into depth about the area that I believe is the really sticking point here: Codec and/or Profile. MKV is, like AVI or MOV, a General Purpose container. Meaning it accommodates a veritably unlimited # of different kinds of codecs. Your player only accepts MKV that have a very small subset of those codecs, when encapsulated in the MKV container: DivX 3.1-6.0, Xvid, MP4SP, MP4ASP, and h.264 BP, MP, and HP up through version 4.1.

But notice those "P"s? That's referring to profiles.

Lots of people (here and elsewhere) don't fully understand profiles. Consider a profile to be a "flavor" or species of a certain codec. Each profile is almost like a different codec altogether, because what is done in a profile determines whether it can or can't be played in certain devices that, on surface, one would assume could otherwise play. Because profiles determine which encoding features are made use of. Some features require great computational complexity and/or delay, some don't. The ones that do (and which likely contribute to quality/efficiency in that codec) are not engaged for the simpler versions of the profile, but are in a tiered system are gradually introduced in the more complex profiles & levels.

So, this leads to an understanding that (unlike what may have been previously suggested to you) one cannot just take a HP@L5.1 h.264 MKV and simply change the flag to, say L4.0 and have it be accepted. Why? Because the file still includes those encoding features that will croak the player in question. To truly fix this (if this actually is your problem), you would have to RE-ENCODE.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    thanks scott,,learned a lot about it today. is it better for me to transfer the information from my external hard drive into a tv stream and then into the samsung tv, rather than:from external hard drive western digital elements 2tb direct into my tv?....there is where some of my playable mkv and not playable with diferent codec are? or how can i re-encode them?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    porto calling the heart of texas,,,,roger,over and out,,,,help----s.o.s---s.o.s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,scott, can you help me on that top sujestion?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have found they will play on my desktop computer but not the TV.
    What i do is simply reformat them to MP4 on either Any video converter or Freemake video converter and they stream like a dream.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OP seriously needs to post the Mediainfo text

May want to try H264 Level Editor. I'm not exactly sure how it works as I have never needed it but they claim it's fast. I tend to believe it just changes the level value at face value and just copies the video, without actually conforming to that profile. So your machine will accept the file, but it may overwhelm the decoder in certain demanding situations causing it to drop frames or crash.

In the future, if you are the one encoding these, I would stick to High@L4.1 as that is a very well supported profile. Above that supports drops dramatically. Even the $30 googlechrome cast supports High@L4.1.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Kar-Ma This is a zombie thread. Three years after its previous resurrection, zcompguy12 felt compelled to wake it up again to add his two cents worth.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I smell a spammer...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I finally see the 2010 date on OP's post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	d4c7ed99c07a00c53309d835d78316a8cc36af60107131bed123b3f056b5e5bf.jpg
Views:	9802
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	37118

I second the spammer idea, two of the worst/profitable encoding programs out there.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also considered the possibility of spam, but lots of people who don't know any better do buy and use crapware.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    true.
    but do they search and find a 3 yr old thread to resurrect
    a newbie happy with some new software will usually look for other comments about it
    not find an old thread to say get this and try it
    i say spam
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    true.
    but do they search and find a 3 yr old thread to resurrect
    a newbie happy with some new software will usually look for other comments about it
    not find an old thread to say get this and try it
    i say spam
    I say that isn't enough to prove a post is spam. Apparently Baldrick doesn't think so either or he would have banned zcompguy12 and removed his post.

I have seen too many other new members post solutions to problems in even older dead threads to find your argument the least bit convincing.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe your right, we are all just guessing, until / IF they ever post again
    Quote Quote