VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have several VOB files that I need to burn to a dvd along with some other avis. I already have the AVI's converted to mpeg2 but now I need the VOB files to MPEG2. I can even do them avi and convert again (obviously I dont really want to do this to result in lowered quality) I just need to know how to do it. I don't have the audio or video_ts files just a vob.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need authoring software....like TDA .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A .vob is just a container, and an MPEG-2 file is one of the things contained inside. All you need to do is extract it, using either PGC Demux or VOB2MPG. No conversions necessary. Thereafter, you'll need to reauthor (as hech54 has said), also incorporating those .avi files you converted to MPEG-2.
    Quote Quote  
  4. PGC Demux would not allow me to put in the vob. Vob2MPG would not allow it either since there is no ifo or whatever its called. Its seems like I may have to try a different route without having the _TS files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    change the setting in vob2mpg. click the button that says ifo mode and it will change to vob mode to allow just the vob. put the vob in a folder by itself first.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. I dont have a videot_ts file. I cannot use VOB2MPG. Is there something I am missing or not explaining properly? The Vob is a downloaded from the internet file. In the foler it is originally in, it shows a thumbnail of the file. When I click properties it says it is a vob file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    rename the vob to VTS_01_1.vob and vob2mpg will convert it to mpg using vobset mode.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Or, alternatively, demux using DGIndex. Open the VOB and go File->Save Project and Demux Video. It'll give you a D2V project file, the M2V video and whatever audio is in there. Some authoring programs allow for VOB input, though. Depends on what you use. But demuxing to the separate video and audio is pretty much guaranteed for all of them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post
    I have several VOB files that I need to burn to a dvd along with some other avi...
    if you wanna make good quality DVD, i wud rather suggest bring all different files into one container format. Lets say AVI.
    Maintain High quality video and audio bitrate specs - same for all files. you may use video converter in batch mode.
    Also convert VOB --> AVI.
    then, throw all AVIs to your DVD Authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post
    I have several VOB files that I need to burn to a dvd along with some other avi...
    if you wanna make good quality DVD, i wud rather suggest bring all different files into one container format. Lets say AVI.
    Maintain High quality video and audio bitrate specs - same for all files. you may use video converter in batch mode.
    Also convert VOB --> AVI.
    then, throw all AVIs to your DVD Authoring program.
    I understand what you mean but I haven't gotten anywhere near good quality burning the avi files to the discs. It always is better if I convert everything to MPEG2 first. Is there some program that burns the avi really well? I have tried Sothink DVD Movie Maker, ConvertXtoDVD, and several others and the quality is just not there with the AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post
    I understand what you mean but I haven't gotten anywhere near good quality burning the avi files to the discs. It always is better if I convert everything to MPEG2 first. Is there some program that burns the avi really well? I have tried Sothink DVD Movie Maker, ConvertXtoDVD, and several others and the quality is just not there with the AVI.
    You're a little mixed up. If burning an AVI to disc as a data file, nothing changes - it's the exact same on disc as on the hard drive. You say you haven't had luck burning them, but then you mention some conversion programs you've used. So, you're not burning AVIs, you're converting to DVD. And then you say it's better after conversion to MPEG-2. But the programs you named (and which you don't like, apparently) convert to DVD which uses MPEG-2 video. None of what you said makes any sense at all.
    Is there some program that burns the avi really well?
    ImgBurn burns AVIs to Disc, CD, DVDR, whatever. But unless you intend to play them back on the computer only, you'll need something hooked to your TV set that can play AVIs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bonie81 View Post
    WTF would he want to do that? He already has some of his material "ready to go" in DVD compliant MPEG2 video....and he has already converted his "AVIs" to MPEG2.....he is almost home.
    Quote Quote  
  13. [QUOTE=manono;2042476]
    You're a little mixed up. If burning an AVI to disc as a data file, nothing changes - it's the exact same on disc as on the hard drive. You say you haven't had luck burning them, but then you mention some conversion programs you've used. So, you're not burning AVIs, you're converting to DVD. And then you say it's better after conversion to MPEG-2. But the programs you named (and which you don't like, apparently) convert to DVD which uses MPEG-2 video. None of what you said makes any sense at all.

What am I mixed up about? The programs I listed do not do a good quality job in converting the avis to MPEG2. That much I know. I have better quality when I convert them myself with an alternative program and then add them in. The problem I am having now is that I don't see an option to not recode DVD compliant files which from the first post I posted on videohelp seems to be my biggest problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What am I mixed up about? The programs I listed do not do a good quality job in converting the avis to MPEG2. That much I know. I have better quality when I convert them myself with an alternative program and then add them in. The problem I am having now is that I don't see an option to not recode DVD compliant files which from the first post I posted on videohelp seems to be my biggest problem.
    Like i said in my first reply to you....if you already have converted your AVIs to "DVD compliant MPEG2"....then all you need is an AUTHORING PROGRAM to author all of those into a DVD complete with VIDEO_TS folder.....then you burn that to a blank DVD.
    There are some free ones out there...but I use TDA.
    The only problem you had in your initial post was getting VOB files to MPEG2....which was solved for you in post #3 (VOB2MPEG).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post
    What am I mixed up about?
    What are you mixed up about? You said:
    I haven't gotten anywhere near good quality burning the avi files to the discs.
    That means what it says, burning AVIs to disc, not converting to DVD.
    The programs I listed do not do a good quality job in converting the avis to MPEG2.
    Or maybe you don't know what you're doing? Maybe you're trying to fit too many movies onto a DVD? Although there are better conversion programs out there. Try AVS2DVD sometime.
    The problem I am having now is that I don't see an option to not recode DVD compliant files which from the first post I posted on videohelp seems to be my biggest problem.
    Have you anywhere told us what you're using to author? Few authoring programs will force a reencode for DVD compliant assets. Either they're not compliant, you haven't found out how to turn off reencoding compliant assets, or the authoring program is a piece of junk. hech54 likes TDA. I use the freeware DVDAuthorGUI. It even accepts VOB input.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by yearofthespider2k3 View Post
    I have several VOB files that I need to burn to a dvd along with some other avis. I already have the AVI's converted to mpeg2 but now I need the VOB files to MPEG2. I can even do them avi and convert again (obviously I dont really want to do this to result in lowered quality) I just need to know how to do it. I don't have the audio or video_ts files just a vob.
    You can directly use AVStoDVD for both VOB and AVI files. AVStoDVD will demux/remux VOB files and will encode AVI to a DVD structure ready to be burned (i.e. by ImgBurn).

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote