VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking for a portable audio recorder that can be used for audio in FCP, I need something with top notch quality that won't break the bank

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Douglas
    Quote Quote  
  2. I tried to find a place that still sold that unit, but it appears that its no longer available, the only one I saw was the H4n.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dpalme View Post
    I tried to find a place that still sold that unit, but it appears that its no longer available, the only one I saw was the H4n.
    I've got the cheaper Zoom H2 and I've been impressed by the sound quality.

Here's a comparison between the H4,H4n and the Sony PCM-D50:
    http://www.bradlinder.net/2009/03/testing-zoom-h4-h4n-and-sony-pcm-d50.html
    I couldn't get the audio samples to load, but there's some interesting comments.

The H4n seems to have some improvements over the H4 - menu system, button layout. Also the microphone configuration of the H4n is better - less chance of phase shifting. There's some comments that the H4n sound quality is a bit harsh, but it should be possible to correct much of that with software equalisation.

It turns out that the site owner initially used the same audio file for both the H4 and Sony - until April 20th 2009. So comments before that date claiming the Sony to be better than the H4 were ...in error .

Having said that, the positions of the three recorders differed in the test, so that could've introduced variations in the recorded sound quality - 'The Zoom H4n was in the middle and I was speaking directly into it, while the other two recorders were at an angle.'
    Quote Quote  
  4. Zoom H1 Handy $99. Can't beat that. And is a solid recorder too.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003QKBVYK

Myself, I have an Edirol R09 and love it. The Zoom H1 seems comparable to that and is cheaper too. I've also read good things about the Olympus.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-LS-10-Linear-PCM-Recorder/dp/B0012754UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...2995992&sr=1-1

A good place to read up and ask about these portable recorders is http://www.taperssection.com/.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was looking at the H2 but I have heard that the microphone isn't that great.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, the Zoom H4n is just the latest incarnation of the H4. Of all the recorders mentioned thus far, it is the only one that has XLR external mic inputs (or you always have the option of using the built-in mics). Look at your budget and consider your specific needs, then make a selection.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have a Zoom H2 and I have been pleased by its performance. I've used it for about 3 years. However, I have only used it to record very loud rock bands. The H2 has 4 mics and can record 4 channel surround. I am going to start using it more as an external source for my Nikon D7000 video. Surround may be fun to play with.
    Quote Quote  
  8. We are working on some documentary stuff and would love to do four channel sound for interviews, etc. Again, something that will work well without breaking the bank.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dpalme View Post
    I was looking at the H2 but I have heard that the microphone isn't that great.
    Don't listen to what you heard. The H2 has 4 mics, and excellent sound reproduction. It's up to the user to set gain and limiters as needed. It's not a "point and shoot" recorder. It's professional, and well respected.
    Quote Quote  
  10. XLR is hardly portable, although I guess technically it is. It's just so bulky! I've used the H4 before and although it did a solid job, I hated the user interface. Very confusing. But I did manage to record live in 4-tracks. I've read the interface has been much improved on the H1 Handy (and maybe the H2? Can't remember). And I heard the Olympus has an excellent user interface, but I nave never used either. I love the interface of the Edirol R09 and R09HR.

If you are concerned with the internal mics, you could always get an external set with battery box. See http://www.soundprofessionals.com/. I use a set of AT 831-B mics with a Sound Professionals 9v battery box. Very portable and stealthy too.

Edit: I just noticed Roland has released the R-05. Now THIS looks like my next recorder. Looks like everything I like about the R-09HR and the R-09 together in one new recorder. Very nice. Of course that price is much higher than the Zoom H1 Handy. Might as well consider the Sony PCM-M10 at that price range.

Darryl
    Last edited by dphirschler; 23rd Dec 2010 at 00:16.
    Quote Quote