VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a LITEON LVW-5045 machine and i am unable to get it to read blank DVD-R. It takes the blank disks and tries to prepare them then after 30 seconds ejects them. I have tried 4 different brands and get the same result each time. I don't know if the format command should come up automatically as the manual does mention formatting but doesn't exactly tell you how to format the disks.

Any help on the above would be very much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The only consistently reliably DVD brands are Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim (everything but their Life series). Living in Europe a few other brands like Sony MAY still be OK (but it's hard to get reliable info on the US side of the pond). Try a better brand. However I have 2 more suggestions that may enable to use whatever you have bought.

1) Update the firmware on your burner to the latest release. Sometimes low quality discs don't have a write strategy in the firmware that shipped with the drive.
    2) Use ONLY the free ImgBurn to burn with. ImgBurn can often come up with an effective write strategy when other burners cannot.

As an aside since you may have low quality discs, I'd recommend burning at a lower speed like 4x to see if that helps. I sure wouldn't go above 8x.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I missed that you are talking about a DVD recorder. My bad. Using better quality media is the suggestion I've got. This is unlikely, but you should also check to be sure that your recorder is compatible with DVD-R as on some older models there were a few that only worked with + discs and a few that only worked with - discs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The 5045 should burn any - or + disk if 4x or 16x with orig. or new firmware .
    I have 3 5045 units All with replaced dvd drives I use verbatim But the units will burn any
    The orig. DDW drives, unless defective, will burn any disk but did were prone to problems
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    May be time to replace the DVD drive in that unit. Get any Liteon IDE drive. Or if you use a Liteon SATA you need one of the IDER to SATA bridge converters.... There are posts here on replacing the DVD drives. Do a search. Here is the thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/325208-Liteon-LVW-5045-replace-DVD-drive-project-started
    Last edited by bithead9; 29th Jan 2011 at 18:06. Reason: add thread link...
    Quote Quote