VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone help me locate a particular sound card that can do the following?

1.) can *decode* DD and DTS
    2.) has a TOSLink optical digital input that accepts DD/DTS 5.1, not just stereo PCM
    3.) has a TOSLink optical digital input that works with the analog output, meaning it will convert the digital 5.1 sound to analog 5.1 output
    4.) has multi-channel analog output
    5.) has PCI slot

Unfortunately, documentation for these is sparse.

So I would appreciate anyone who has experience with this to share their knowledge.

Sorry if this seems like a repost. There is another thread I created that is somewhat similar to this. That one was more general in nature about sound cards, receivers or stand-alone decoders. This one is more specific in nature, regarding sound cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check out creative labs xfi series. I think xfi is still their main lineup. They have multiple sound cards that fit your requirements. If they are not the "latest" that creative labs has either check out online auctions for used models or visit www.creative.com for the latest series they are selling.

In my book you can't go wrong with creative labs products. I've been using them since I got a 8 bit mono sound card way back in the dos 5.0 days (I think that was an Isa card - can't remember exactly what slot type it was but it was way before pci).

Originally Posted by stealth3si
    3.) has a TOSLink optical digital input that works with the analog output, meaning it will convert the digital 5.1 sound to analog 5.1 output
    4.) has multi-channel analog output
    This is a common feature. They will most likely output with three 3.5mm headphone jack outputs for front, rear, center and sub. Usually its meant for the combo 5.1 speaker sets that are matched for that.

But you can manually output each one and you can even manually send out the center and sub but you have to split the headphone jack output and use trial and error to figure out which one is center and sub.

The tricker part will be getting the model with fiber optic input. They do exist but you have to be sure it is there.

Also check that it does say dolby digital and dts on the product spec. If they do than they will process them and not just "pcm stereo". As long as they label them they have the decoders.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many of the current products with optical S/PDIF in have PCI-e interfaces. That didn't leave many moderately priced PCI options. Looking at Newegg I found one that may do what you want. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001 You may see something wrong with the specs that I missed because sound cards/sound systems aren't really my thing.

Here's the manual http://www.htomega.com/filedown/striker.pdf See page 24 regarding DTS or DD, input through S/PDIF and output using analog speakers.

[Edit] Forget it. I missed something. The manual says this: "Note: Non-PCM data cannot be recorded and monitored." It apparently only passes through to S/PDIF output if given non-PCM input.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Dec 2010 at 11:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also I forgot to mention my creative xfi card (pci model - the extreme gamer edition) does have a fiber optic in and out port BUT it is external. It is a "flexi-jack" adapter that plugs into the digital i/o jack on the card (a 3.5 mm jack).

Usually this is a separate purchase that has to be bought at the company website as well. Some packages have it included but not all.

As usually quiet mentioned you'll have to dig hard into manuals to make sure this will work as an amplifier from the source.

---------------------------

In the end you might be better off getting an inexpensive second hand free standing amplifier with fiber optic inputs and official dd/dts decoding. A real stereo is truly the best way to do this if this is intended for watching movies in surround sound.

Edit - and you don't have to get a fancy hdmi model. Regular standard definition 5.1 audio still sounds excellent. And if you are worried about bluray don't be. I get it downconverted automatically from my ps3 via fiberoptic to 5.1 dd or dts without a hassle. My amplifier is quite old and is not hdmi but does 5.1 dd and dts standard definition audio perfectly.

Plus just make sure you get speakers that match the wattage of your amplifier and you'll do fine. They don't have to be premium speakers to sound good. Just make sure they aren't less power than amplifier to avoid the risk of overpowering them.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I suspect it will be difficult to find a sound card that has TOSLINK or S/PDIF inputs that accept and decode AC3 and DTS. Hollywood has been working very hard to prevent recording of multichannel audio. To get an AC3 licence you have to agree to such restrictions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I suspect it will be difficult to find a sound card that has TOSLINK or S/PDIF inputs that accept and decode AC3 and DTS. Hollywood has been working very hard to prevent recording of multichannel audio. To get an AC3 licence you have to agree to such restrictions.
    I suspected that might be true.

@Stealth3si I found your other thread on this topic. Everything current that I saw which had the right inputs/outputs, interface, and price was already covered there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was curious to check out a Audigy 2 ZS cnet review and reviewer #7 said it does DTS/DD via optical in.

I also stumbled upon the Creative Xi-Fi Elite Pro User Guide (at the very bottom) and it seems to be able to decode DD/DTS signals from an external DD/DTS DVD player via optical connection using their drive or console. But I can't find any information whether either would accept digital 5.1 from here or only stereo PCM.

The Audigy 2 doesn't seem to have a DAC AFAICK but I could be wrong.

The XiFi however has a DAC but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with converting the DD/DTS 5.1 to analog multichannel. Perhaps it's only digital stereo PCM input to analog stereo output? It'd be wonderful if it was digital 5.1 ---> analog 5.1!

Both have multichannel analog output. That's good.

What do you guys think about the possibility of these to do what I want, as far as the three are concerned?
    Last edited by Stealth3si; 19th Dec 2010 at 22:59.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Last edited by jagabo; 19th Dec 2010 at 23:06.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gosh - thanks for the last minute link! Haha.

I have no clue as to what proprietary cable is needed to plug that sucker into Audigy 2 (non ZS BTW).

I think this would probably fit my card.
    Last edited by Stealth3si; 19th Dec 2010 at 23:13.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I thought maybe it was a small A/V amp but it looks like it's just an I/O breakout box.

I think you should to the safe route and find a small A/V receiver.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought maybe it was a small A/V amp but it looks like it's just an I/O breakout box.

I think you should to the safe route and find a small A/V receiver.
    Like these?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, there is this listing for another product in the audigy 2 ZS line on bonaza, and based on the picture, it may include everything that originally came in the box http://www.bonanza.com/booths/ecoveauction/items/Audigy_2_ZS_Platinum_Pro_PCI_Sound_Ca..._with_external

Specs say it decodes DD and DTS. The manual can be downloaded here http://support.creative.com/manuals/download.aspx?nDownloadId=7127&prodName=Audigy%202...uide%20English

I don't know anything about bonanza vs. ebay.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Well, there is this listing for another product in the audigy 2 ZS line on bonaza, and based on the picture, it may include everything that originally came in the box http://www.bonanza.com/booths/ecoveauction/items/Audigy_2_ZS_Platinum_Pro_PCI_Sound_Ca..._with_external

Specs say it decodes DD and DTS. The manual can be downloaded here http://support.creative.com/manuals/download.aspx?nDownloadId=7127&prodName=Audigy%202...uide%20English

I don't know anything about bonanza vs. ebay.
    Thanks. I'll probably try out the audigy 2 series out first. I already have an Audgy 2, SB0240 Part ID I believe, which supposedly can decode DD/DTS but to confirm this I'd need an external hub to go along with that and once I pair them both with KX custom project drivers, they should be able to do what I want.

The external hub/module in question looks quite a bit different than the one for the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro and can significantly sell for considerably less than the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. I just can't seem to find one for sale.

As for the manual, it completely downloads but I can't seem to get any info from it as it says "Invalide Page." or something.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post
    As for the manual, it completely downloads but I can't seem to get any info from it as it says "Invalide Page." or something.
    Follow the instructions in the red box at the bottom of the download page.

Yes, what I linked to is much more expensive, but then again you may wait a long time for the right external module to be offered for sale. ...and afterwards you may have to look for missing pieces that go with it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Dec 2010 at 13:59.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no clue as to what proprietary cable is needed to plug that sucker into Audigy 2 (non ZS BTW).

I think this would probably fit my card.
    The connection to the internal card is via a proprietary ribbon cable, that they call an AD_EXT connector. You can see one in the cardboard box in the picture for the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro bonanza listing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Dec 2010 at 19:14.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the actual file onto my computer and opened the file. The contents aren't showing anything for me. Just blank pages.

Yes, what I linked to is much more expensive, but then again you may wait a long time for the right external module to be offered for sale. ...and afterwards you may have to look for missing pieces that go with it.
    The only missing component, other than the module itself, is an IDE 40-wire cable.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the actual file onto my computer and opened the file. The contents aren't showing anything for me. Just blank pages.
    From the red box at the bottom of the download page I linked to:
    Due to the high security level on the Windows XP Service Pack 2 platform, the manual might not display correctly. If this occurs, follow these steps to view its contents successfully:
    Save the manual on your computer.
    Right-click the manual and select Properties.
    Select the General tab, click the Unblock button, and then click OK.
    The manual should display correctly when you open the file again.
    Worked for me!
    Quote Quote  
  18. I get redirected to a generic support page.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I get redirected to a generic support page.
    There seems to be nothing wrong as far as I can tell. I just clicked on the link in my post again to test, and went to the right page.

Try clicking "Quickstart User Guide" here: http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I got the manuals to display correctly.

Both manuals say the cards do decode DD/DTS via TOSlink Optical input if I'm using an external Dolby Digital/DTS DVD player. But I'm not sure if I would get full surround sound out to the 5.1 analog speakers.

Also, would I get the same result if I'm using a WDTV Live in lieu of the DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post
    Both manuals say the cards do decode DD/DTS via TOSlink Optical input if I'm using an external Dolby Digital/DTS DVD player. But I'm not sure if I would get full surround sound out to the 5.1 analog speakers.
    That's probably what they mean. I guess you'll find out for sure after you get the card.

Also, would I get the same result if I'm using a WDTV Live in lieu of the DVD player?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only missing component, other than the module itself, is an IDE 40-wire cable.
    Then you already have a power splitter and an internal firewire cable (assuming you want to use the firewire port) on hand? Be careful about the ribbon cable. Creative warned about substituting a different cable for the the AD_EXT in something I read. You'll need to check the pinout to be sure you have a proper replacement, unless you can find the real thing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Dec 2010 at 22:53.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then you already have a power splitter and an internal firewire cable (assuming you want to use the firewire port) on hand?
    No. Do I need those too to hook up the I/O drive?

Be careful about the ribbon cable. Creative warned about substituting a different cable for the the AD_EXT in something I read. You'll need to check the pinout to be sure you have a proper replacement, unless you can find the real thing.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This has a good picture of the cables and other accessories for the Audigy 2 platinum
    http://www.anycpu.com/projects/diypc/GraniteBay/SoundCard.htm

The Audigy2 Drive is powered, so you need the splitter. This article http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/creative-audigy2.html# describes installation as follows
    The communication unit of the Platinum package is installed into a free 5-inch bay of the PC (in Platinum eX this module is external). It connects to the sound card with a special band cable and an adaptor cable for FireWire. Besides that, the Audigy2 Drive receives additional power, necessary for optical sensors, IR-receiver and other radio-electronic units of the module.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Dec 2010 at 00:24. Reason: Add 2nd listing
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The second one would probably be my choice.

Though, if I can stretch my budget further and find good steals, I might consider used items of the X-Fi Platinum Pro and X-Fi Elite Pro.

As for the firewire, would I connect it from the front panel to the back of the card? What particular purpose would that serve?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM

Though, if I can stretch my budget further and find good steals, I might consider used items of the X-Fi Platinum Pro and X-Fi Elite Pro.

As for the firewire, would I connect it from the front panel to the back of the card? What particular purpose would that serve?
    As I understand them, the instructions that I quoted say the internal FireWire cable would connect the Audigy 2 Drive to a FireWire header on the Audigy 2 sound card. It provides a firewire connection at the front of your case. Replacement cables are scarce. This looks like it would work http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-6153/Alienware-Area-dsh-51-32%22-Internal/Detail However, the original cable is about 2 feet long.

Taking another look at it, the power splitter appears to be molex to floppy. If your power supply has an unused floppy connection, you could connect that instead.

This has information about what to use as a replacement for the AD_EXT cable.
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/audio-general-technical-discussion/95081-using-ide-cable...num-drive.html

I think they mean this: http://www.amazon.com/IDC-40-inch-Single-Device/dp/B002L0WC7Q
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Dec 2010 at 18:34. Reason: removed repeated word
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM

As I understand them, the instructions that I quoted say the internal FireWire cable would connect the Audigy 2 Drive to a FireWire header on the Audigy 2 sound card. It provides a firewire connection at the front of your case. Replacement cables are scarce. This looks like it would work http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-6153/Alienware-Area-dsh-51-32%22-Internal/Detail However, the original cable is about 2 feet long.

Taking another look at it, the power splitter appears to be molex to floppy. If your power supply has an unused floppy connection, you could connect that instead.

This has information about what to use as a replacement for the AD_EXT cable.
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/audio-general-technical-discussion/95081-using-ide-cable...num-drive.html

I think they mean this: http://www.amazon.com/IDC-40-inch-Single-Device/dp/B002L0WC7Q
    Great info you got there.

I think I'll try and find a "bundle" w/ all the necessary cables and accessories in lieu of scavenging for separate parts.

I think I would be more efficient this way, don't you agree?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great info you got there.

I think I'll try and find a "bundle" w/ all the necessary cables and accessories in lieu of scavenging for separate parts.

I think I would be more efficient this way, don't you agree?
    I said you should get a bundle from the start.
    Quote Quote