Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Stealth3si View Post
    Great info you got there.

I think I'll try and find a "bundle" w/ all the necessary cables and accessories in lieu of scavenging for separate parts.

I think I would be more efficient this way, don't you agree?
    I said you should get a bundle from the start.
    Thank you.

After some deliberation, I decided that not only your recommendation would be my first choice but I also want to open up my options to other alternatives. I believe I can accomplish this task by creating a survey for anyone to voluntarily take. It will only take a few minutes of your time and this would really help me quantify my data so I can make an educated purchase.

Here goes.

I prepared a short survey for my OT because I wanted to re-evaluate my original question and better rephrase it in a different format that would make my decision-making process more accessible to all of us. I've provided much information as necessarily possible so please let me know if there's anything you need to know to make an informed suggestion.

Basically I was wondering if you can include a list of sound cards (PCI-E or PCI) by voting for the best sound card in different categories for me to tally and choose from so I can have an idea which one to buy. I think most likely the higher-end sound cards may be overkill for my "HTPC" system where digital speakers, amps and AVRs are nonexistent, so to gauge the budget, I'd say something that is a sustainable upgrade (from an Audigy 2) at a "bang for the buck" range.

In a distant future far away I will upgrade to digital speakers and amp/receiver, by which time I shall return and seek the appropriate sound card.

But for now, here are my current HTPC audio sources.

·Speaker setup: Analog 5.1.
    ·Headphone: "foam-removed" Sennhesier HD-555.
    ·Audio movie source: lossy compressed DD and DTS encoded in AC3/DTS bitstreams, 640kpbs-1.5Mbps. They are not HD-Audio as in TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc. There are no external video hardware involved, just files downloaded via filehosting site.
    ·Audio music source: lossy compresed MP3s with optimally encoded variable to 320kbps high bitrates. (Both audio movie/music sources are from my personal backups globally stored in a remote clandestine server.)
    ·Audio videogame sources are PC titles.

The following categories are soundcard application objectives that I intend to do with the soundcard, ordered by significance:

Category 1: Analog playback via internal DAC
    Category 2: Movies
    Category 3: Music
    Category 4: Games

Each category is divided by 3 tiers.

Tier 1 = The best soundcard for its category.
    Tier 2 = An excellent soundcard for its category.
    Tier 3 = A good soundcard for its category.

Examples of what I mean:

Tier 1 = Creative X-Fi Elite Pro ----> the best soundcard for Analog playback via internal DAC.
    Tier 2 = Turtle Beach ----> an excellent soundcard for Analog playback via internal DAC.
    Tier 3 = Asus HDAV13 Deluxe ----> a good soundcard for Analog playback via internal DAC

Tier 1 = Xplosion ----> the best soundcard for Movies
    Tier 2 = Asus Xonar D2X ----> an excellent soundcard for Movies
    Tier 3 = HT Omega Striker ----> a good soundcard for Movies

Tier 1 = Creative X-Fi Elite Pro ----> the best soundcard for Music
    Tier 2 = Xplosion ----> an excellent soundcard for Music
    Tier 3 = X-Fi XtremeMusic ----> a good soundcard for Music

Tier 1 = Creative Fatal1ty ----> the best soundcard for Games
    Tier 2 = Xplosion ----> an excellent soundcard for Games
    Tier 3 = HT Omega Claro ----> a good soundcard for Games

As you can see, I've placed soundcards that excel in particular areas than others, while also placing them again in different categories > tiers. These are just examples, which show I know next to nothing. Hence, I humbly seek your advice.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So I would appreciate if someone could "vote" for their favorite or best sound card you think deserves their place and please completely fill out all 4 categories as you possibly can.

Can you please limit only one instance of a specific sound card model per category but there can also be multiple different models of the same company per category.

For instance, I would be OK with the following:

Tier 1 = Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
    Tier 2 = Creative X-Fi Platinum
    Tier 3 = Asus HDAV13 Deluxe

But not like this:

Tier 1 = Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
    Tier 2 = Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
    Tier 3 = Creative X-Fi Elite Pro

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again.

And here is the actual survey:

Tier 1 = ____________
    Tier 2 = ____________
    Tier 3 = ____________

Tier 1 = ____________
    Tier 2 = ____________
    Tier 3 = ____________

Tier 1 = ____________
    Tier 2 = ____________
    Tier 3 = ____________

Tier 1 = ____________
    Tier 2 = ____________
    Tier 3 = ____________
    Last edited by Stealth3si; 22nd Dec 2010 at 22:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is a good low profile sound card that is comparable to the Asus Xonar D2?
    Quote Quote