VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have some BetaMax footage that has some dropouts and white horizontal lines. I have never obtained any good results using avisynth scripts and I would say that is due to my limited skills with it.

Can someone give me a script that would work with lines like the picture below?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	4755
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this would be another type in the video, not as wide as the previous one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	4757
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Turning the video sideways and running Descratch may have some affects on it.
    I've not tested.

Is this interlaced video you have? Interlaced video is always hard to work with, for this error.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What have you tried so far ?

RemoveDirtMC or RemoveDust should be able to take care of the smaller dropouts in the 2nd screenshot. Use lower settings first and work your way up (they are all damaging to some extent, but if you use too weak settings, they will miss detection and repair of more errors).

It is possible to preserve interlacing if you apply to even/odd fields. Sometimes you get synergistic results with stacking filters and/or multiple passes (i.e run a weak pass first, then apply the other filters)

Maybe if you posted a video sample others would have better suggestions or more precise settings to use
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can make a short sample of the video. I am going to deinterlace it anyway so I should do that before the other filters? I have tried the turnleft in avisynth with despot and descratch with no results at all. They dont do anything. I will look at removeDirtMC and RemoveDust.

When I watch the video on my 46" flatscreen it looks jerky or ghosted when doign panning motion left and right. I thought it was a field order issue but changing it makes no difference. I encoded it with a 100% quality CQ with no difference. I did the virtualdub yadi deinterlace picking bottom field since it is DV footage and the ghosting goes away.

The tapes were pretty bad shape. The strange thing that fixed them to the point og being able to capture was dropping the tape on a flat surface a few times, then fast forwarding and rewinding a few times. Then it played much better. Did it 4 times in teh same manner and teh playability was terrific compared to before. Now I'm just left with dropouts. The other tapes played really great for being 28 years old!

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After hours of trying avisynth scripts I gave up and put them to DVD with the dropouts. The filters seem to be pretty worthless.

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by LSchafroth View Post
    After hours of trying avisynth scripts I gave up and put them to DVD with the dropouts. The filters seem to be pretty worthless.

Lannie
    You're joking right?

They work really well on that 2nd type of artifact , and possibly even the 1st if you set the strength high

The only situation that the MC variant doesn't work well, is if you have a persistent defect (ie. the scratches occur on consecutive frames in the exact same location, or you have dupe frames)

Post an unprocessed video sample
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best way to cover dropouts of recorded RF is with a pairing of an industrial or broadcast VCR and TBC that has an RF input to detect the dropout interval. When necessary, multiple color lines can be reinserted this way. Dropout compensators in VCRs are mono and are only good for short (a few microseconds) dropouts. Most problems with broadcast level dropout compensation is that the detection is too sensitive causing unnecessary triggering.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have yet to see a good hardware dropout compensator defeat a bad VHS tape.
    My last endeavor with Leitch gear left me disappointed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by LSchafroth View Post

Lannie
    You're joking right?

They work really well on that 2nd type of artifact , and possibly even the 1st if you set the strength high

The only situation that the MC variant doesn't work well, is if you have a persistent defect (ie. the scratches occur on consecutive frames in the exact same location, or you have dupe frames)

Post an unprocessed video sample
    Thats why I posted it here as the filters dont appear to do anything. I have searched many other forums and they all seem to get the same results. nothing.

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
  11. No sample, no help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LSchafroth View Post
    Thats why I posted it here as the filters dont appear to do anything. I have searched many other forums and they all seem to get the same results. nothing.

Lannie
    Since you didn't post any scripts or any video sample, it's pretty hard for anyone to make any suggestions. So, "nothing" it will remain.
    Quote Quote