VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I have an AVI file I created with VirtualDub/AviSynth and it uses the xvid codec and AC3 audio filter. I have these on my PC so it plays fine; however, if I put the AVI on anyone else's PC they first have to download the codec and AC3 filter to play it. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me:

- Is there a better encoding method to use that is more universal so people don't have to download these items to watch my video?

OR

- Is there a way to package these items with the video so that they are automatically downloaded when people go to play the video?

OR

- Is there a better solution altogether?

I'm thinking it from the aspect of, if I distribute my video to people, what will enable them to view/listen to it with the least hassle without jeopardizing the good quality it is already at?

Thanks for looking!
    Quote Quote  
  2. WMV3/WMA2 in WMV. If people don't have the codecs WMP will download them automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks again jagabo!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mac users won't be happy.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Another option is to get them to use a universal player like VLC that runs independent of system codecs or filters.

It works cross platform (pc/mac/linux), and there is a portable version you can bundle or just give them instructions to download it
    Quote Quote