VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've taken some video at 1920 × 1080 and I'd like to make the resolution much lower. E.g. about 700 by something. (no calc on me right now). I note that the pixel ratio is 1.0 and it's all "HD" and widescreen and all that. I've got Adobe Premiere CS5 and a nice slinky PC for it, but when I try dropping the video into a smaller size it looks rather blurry. Obviously I'd expect less resolution but I'm not sure why the blurriness or if there's something I can do - even on still frames. I've got the same frame rate and the same aspect ratio. Any other ideas? Is it a good idea to drop resolutions by even numbers instead of arbitrary numbers? e.g. drop to 960 from 1920 rather than dropping to 900? I could just do with some general advice really at this stage. I'm trying to make files for a Flash based subscriber website idea I'm working on so outputting my lovely video clips to flv or f4v seems most desirable to me. Thanks D x
    Quote Quote  
  2. Oh and if it helps, the videos contain a lot of close-up work (- of the handwriting variety - no dirty minds!).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is your source interlaced or progressive? In any case, small text will definitely get blurry when reducing the frame size from HD to SD resolutions. You should also stick with frame sizes that are a multiple of 16 or 8. For example, 720x400.

A crop of small text from a 1920x1080 video file:
    Name:  hd.png
Views: 349
Size:  166.0 KB

After reducing to 720x400 it's no longer readable:
    Name:  sd.png
Views: 249
Size:  27.9 KB

Even if you enlarge it back to the same size:
    Name:  big.png
Views: 352
Size:  180.5 KB
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Dec 2010 at 07:59.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for your reply Jagabo. My original video is interlaced (an MTS file).
    Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Duration : 5s 160ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 22.2 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 22.7 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.427
    Stream size : 13.6 MiB (92%)

And my output video is currently:
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Adobe Flash
    Codec ID : f4v
    File size : 57.9 MiB
    Duration : 5mn 14s
    Overall bit rate : 1 542 Kbps

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 5mn 14s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 1 406 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 400 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.195
    Stream size : 52.8 MiB (91%)
    Title : MainConcept
    Language : English

I'm not sure why it says NTSC actually - this one was output from Premiere Elements using one of the (adjusted) PAL formats. And I do get that it'll obviously look more blurry when you have fewer pixels to represent the same thing, but I just get waaay more bluriness than I expect. (i.e. if i lower the resolution of a JPEG of a frame from one resolution to the other I still get a pretty sharp second image, albeit with less detail because it's smaller. I just can't get my head around the blurry nature of it. I know that years ago when I grabbed video from a Video 8 camcorder using an Amiga 500 with a basic capture card I was still getting clear images, so I just wonder if there's something I'm not aware of when it comes to resizing video or changing the output format... D . . . .
    Quote Quote  
  5. For some reason mediainfo says your 720x400 f4v export is interlaced ?

Maybe you're blend deinterlacing ? Your original video is interlaced and you are exporting for web. If you disable clip blend it will use the other deinterlacing mode (leaves jaggies and aliasing artifacts). Neither is ideal with Adobe software. You can use higher quality deinterlacers through avisynth, but there is a bit of a learning curve.

If you have an option to shoot native progressive on your camera , use it. Each field (not frame) essentially has 1/2 the information in interlaced mode. When you downscale it text becomes even less legible.
    Quote Quote