VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody. I am considering to buy a seagate freeagent theater+. I know the device supports HDMI video output up to 1080p (I need 720p for my plasma TV). I have some 720p videos (in .mkv format) on my pc, and now I usually watch them through a VGA cable, due to the HDMI protection of my TV. Is it possible to watch HD files through HDMI cable using the freeagent device, either drectly from the hard drive, or using some streaming trick? Can any expert give me advice, since I am novice to HD stuff?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Freeagent theater+ can stream files from your computer, just select Browse, then Computer & find your files. I use a cat5 connection with mine, but you can find some wifi adapters.

Newegg has it for $49, but sometimes the price drops to $39 before 12-24?, if so they refund your $10
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the info...
    if I did understand, I can connect the freeagent to my TV's HDMI port, and stream to it from my pc my video files in 720p format, even if they have been downloaded from the net... It looks great. Unfortunately, the device in Europe is more expensive, but it looks worth the money.
    Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. WDTV Live has similar abilities. I don't know if it's any cheaper where you are.
    Quote Quote  
  5. a USA FreeAgent Theater can be changed to PAL if you push the reset button for a few seconds I think it is. Try Seagate's website for info as I only noticed this for a moment.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can directly buy a Theater+ for PAL, with the optional wi-fi adapter. Regarding the streaming requirements, do you think that my tp-link wireless router could be enough? It's ethernet-connected to my main pc, one floor above the freeagent-TV setup.
    Last question (important!) Can I directly play (via HDMI connection) the HD files stored on the Freeagent hard drive, or is the straming stricly required to bypass HTCP protection? I haven't understood this point.
    Thank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by fabpozzi View Post
    Last question (important!) Can I directly play (via HDMI connection) the HD files stored on the Freeagent hard drive
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi eveybody, I have purchased the theater+ unit (at 50€, with a fine 1:1 change with the dollar). Anyway, it works pretty well with my HD files. Now I would add to it a wi-fi adapter. Do I need to buy the Seagate one, or is there a way to use a standard USB wi-fi adapter? (I already have one Netgear in house).
    Quote Quote  
  9. You don't have to use the Seagate wifi adapter. Google it and you'll find many people talking about what adapters have worked for them. For example:
    http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAgent-Theater/WiFi-Adapter-Does-it-have-to-be-Seagate/m-p/42721
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I had a look to those threads and I got a Belkin N ver.6001nt (part# f5d8053nt). It was on the list of the compatible stuff, but it does not work: it's seen by the FAT+, it sees my router and accepts the net password, but it seems not able to estabilish a connection.Anyone has suggestions? Shall I change the adapter?
    Thank you again!
    Quote Quote  
  11. POsted on slickdeals yesterday this player is @ $45 right now
    Quote Quote