+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. AccountKiller
    Search Comp PM
    AccountKiller
    Last edited by rcvalle; 20th Aug 2013 at 10:35. Reason: AccountKiller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used to swear by TDK, both audio and DVD. They started failing and I now buy Verbatim DVD and Sony Audio
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to print directly on DVDs or CDs, NOTHING beats Taiyo Yuden's Watershield discs. Not only do you get Taiyo Yuden quality, the glossy finish on the Watershield line of discs cannot be beat.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    By the way, now in the USA the only quality media manufacturers left are Verbatim (everything except their cheap "Life" series) and Taiyo Yuden. TDK used the best manufacturer some years ago but they've been cheap garbage for at least 3 years now, maybe longer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TDK used to manufacture their own media until 2006.
    Press release at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/showthread.php/tdk-withdraws-cd-2559.html

Now it's all re-branded CMC. I'd avoid it.
    List of suggest (and NOT suggested) media: Blank DVD Media Quality Guide/Review

Get TY or MCC Verbatim.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Press release at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/showthread.php/tdk-withdraws-cd-2559.html
    Guess I remembered wrong. I have an old DVD by somebody that has a TY media code. Must not have been TDK. I'm too lazy to check.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would go for the Verbatims...been using Supermediastores 8x Verbatims the last 6 moths w/o a hitch. I grabbed their TY discs and had serious quality control issues. I thought the made in Japan discs were suppose to be gold but these TY discs burned fine but they had scratches and dust all in the 4 packs I got. I said screw that, went to Verbatim's and the burns, scans and quality were better...so I've stuck with em

those TDK's are ok for friends and family. The last 8 to 10 months I've bought them and they've been RITEK...F16 branded. I've done hundreds of scans on this Ritek stamped media and they have been just great. Actually I've been surprised. I use these all the time for "b" quality stuff to burn but I stick with the Verbatims for the good stuff. If you use this media, you can also use the Memoroex, Sony, Gigaware(radio Shack) and Office Depot branded. I use the +r media and if it says "made by Imation", then you're getting RITEK...F16 stamped stuff...i've been using them for over a year and it's been the same stamped stuff...RITEK
    Quote Quote  
  8. AccountKiller
    Search Comp PM
    AccountKiller
    Last edited by rcvalle; 20th Aug 2013 at 10:35. Reason: AccountKiller
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just buy Taiyo Yuden from Rima.com and stop playing games.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Guess I remembered wrong. I have an old DVD by somebody that has a TY media code. Must not have been TDK. I'm too lazy to check.
    TDK did re-brand TY media at one time, in the old days (2x), so your memory is fine.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. When TDK still controlled its own mfring, their DVD media was great, fully equal to TY or Verbatim: I never had a problem with it. Even the 16x burned 100% reliably on every device I tried of any vintage, and those discs still test and read well. But starting in late 2006, TDK gave up the "quality" market to chase the loss-leader superstore market. Doing this required subcontracting production to the lowest bidder, first that was the notorious CMC, but as time went on TDK became the biggest licensing whore of all with media coming from any subcontractor in any country at any given time. TDK production is now so completely random that you really never have any idea who makes it and what performance you can expect (other than a near-certainty it will disappoint). Rather than take chances, just avoid it.

If you want to find out who mfr'd a particular disc, download the free IMGburn or DVDidentifier programs from the VH software pages. Or check your disc burning software (Nero, etc.) for an identification window.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That crap like Memowrecks and TDKeh will sell always because people start buying cheap, always...
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to print directly on DVDs or CDs, NOTHING beats Taiyo Yuden's Watershield discs. Not only do you get Taiyo Yuden quality, the glossy finish on the Watershield line of discs cannot be beat.
    No kidding! I've been using these for years and all other printable discs pale in comparison! Now I would kill if they made these disc in DVD+R DL and Blu Ray.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep ... I will agree ... with Smurf ... TDK had good stuff because it was made in a TY factory ... The packages used to say ... Made in Japan.

Going back to around 2007 or 2006 ... back when I still had a job [got laid off ... July 1st 2008] I would check the Sunday Morning Fresno Bee and if any good sales was going on at Best Buy ... in Fresno CA ... I would go there after getting off work at 4PM.

Before CompUSA closed up there store ... next to Best Buy ... I found alot of good sales there too.

Anyways ... I think it might have been CompUSA ... they had a sale on TDK stuff ... WHOA !! ... some of the blank TDK 50Packs had ... Made in Japan on them ... and some had ... Made in Taiwan ... on them ... I definitely bought a few 50 packs.

Since the day I got laid off ... I've only been in Fresno [population : 500,000] ... perhaps 4 times.
    Quote Quote