VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

Could I please ask the advice of the AviSynth experts here?

I'm encoding a large uncompressed AVI (40GB, progressive, 29.97fps) to Xvid using VirtualDubMod.

I have an AviSynth script that already produces superb results with AviSynth version 2.5.8:

#ASYNTHER Default (AVISource)
    AVISource("E:\XYZ project\Uncompressed AVI exports\Sequence 01 (lagarith RGB).avi")
    ConvertToYV12()
    RemoveGrain()
    Tweak(sat=1.15)
    Lanczos4Resize(720,304,0,60,0,-56)
    LimitedSharpen()

However, I also want to encode a 23.976fps Xvid version as well, so I need to do an Inverse Telecine, 3:2 pulldown thingy. It seems using the Avisynth Decomb filter is the best way to do this.

I have 3 questions about using Decomb:

1. Because my source AVI is already progressive, do I even need to use the Decomb commands AssumeTFF() and Telecide()?

2. For framrate conversion down to 23.976, is simply typing "Decimate()" in the script all I need, or should I add some perimeters to that command?

3. At exactly what stage/line/order in my script above is the best place to insert this task/tasks?

If you could post an example Avisynth script for me that'd be grand.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the source is true 29.97fps (every frame different and unique), then decimating it to 23.976fps will make it play jerky/jumpy. Forget the idea.

Or is there already one duplicate frame in every 5-frame sequence?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If the source is true 29.97fps (every frame different and unique), then decimating it to 23.976fps will make it play jerky/jumpy. Forget the idea.

Or is there already one duplicate frame in every 5-frame sequence?
    No I don't think so. I've just examined a panning shot frame by frame in VirtualDubMod and I can't see any repeated movement. I don't know if VDM has a diagnostic for detecting such frames or not. I'm just going by my eyes.

The footage is a compile of a number of progressive NTSC DVD sources that were frameserved and edited in Premiere CS3 as a 29.97fps project, and then exported at the same fps.

The reason I'm doing the conversion is only because someone I gave the file to said that 23.976 fps will make the file more friendly for distribution, specifially for playback on some computers. Is he even right, I wonder?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by spicediver10191 View Post
    Is he even right, I wonder?
    No, and if he thinks decimating true 29.97fps video to 23.976fps is a good idea, he's not only wrong but ignorant.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spicediver10191 View Post
    The reason I'm doing the conversion is only because someone I gave the file to said that 23.976 fps will make the file more friendly for distribution, specifially for playback on some computers. Is he even right, I wonder?
    If the video was made with pulldown, (i.e., repeated frames) as most NTSC TV shows and movies are, yes, it would give better quality. But if not, no.

Also, your script:
    Code:
    Lanczos4Resize(720,304,0,60,0,-56)
    LimitedSharpen()

You can use LimitedSharpenFaster (aka LSFmod) and do the resize as part of that:

Code:
    Crop(0, 60, 0, -56)
    LSFmod(strength=100, dest_x=720, dest_y=304, defaults="fast")
    Adjust strength to taste.

see http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/LimitedSharpen, the AVSI is linked from there.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thankyou both.
    Quote Quote